Teams that don't respect the poppy appeal?

wrightstuff83

Guest Stephen927

What does it matter if they didn't respect the appeal, people will respect what they want to in their own ways. It's like when it comes out that certain footballers didn't donate to a charity, people support different things.

Does respecting the soldiers who have given their lives for this country include singing republican songs during the minutes silence at the Falkirk game today?

I don't pay attention to Scottish football and the politics up there and I don't particularly want to get involved in a discussion on it, so no comment. 

:angel:

Guest toonlass

What does it matter if they didn't respect the appeal, people will respect what they want to in their own ways. It's like when it comes out that certain footballers didn't donate to a charity, people support different things.

Does respecting the soldiers who have given their lives for this country include singing republican songs during the minutes silence at the Falkirk game today?

I don't pay attention to Scottish football and the politics up there and I don't particularly want to get involved in a discussion on it, so no comment. 

:angel:

Ok, then lets pretend we are at any cenotaph in the UK and some of the people who are there, instead of respecting the minutes silence, or even keeping themselves out of the way until the minutes silence is over, sing songs about British soldiers dying. Would you be happy with that?

Guest Stephen927

Of course not, I have a lot of respect for our troops, they have my full support. I just don't think it's a big deal if a team doesn't hold a minutes silence for them at a game or dont have poppies on their shirts...

Of course not, I have a lot of respect for our troops, they have my full support. I just don't think it's a big deal if a team doesn't hold a minutes silence for them at a game or dont have poppies on their shirts...

It becomes a big deal when people sing through the minute's silence, and sing anti-British Army songs though.

Guest toonlass

I have no problem with that either. Its up to the clubs to decide that. But its not on when the clubs have decided to have a minutes silence and a bunch of idiots start deliberately singing republican rebel songs to ensure that they disrupt the silence for those who wish to respect it. They should have stayed under the stand until it was over if they didn't want to respect it.

Guest Stephen927

It becomes a big deal when people sing through the minute's silence, and sing anti-British Army songs though.

Didn't realise they had done that, should have read the whole thread. Was wondering what Blef was on about.

But what about fans singing against British soldiers during a minutes silence for them

Understand, but again, why would you not?

Plus this is getting away from the initial point I was making, was not asking for individuals opinion, rather why would a British football club not respect it! (although is interesting 2hear individuals views!)

If the Celtic fans wanted to comemerate 1916 you lot would have a lot would have a problem.

If the Celtic fans don't want to support poppy day they don't have to. If you want to support it then do.

they DO commemerate the Easter rising, not only annually but in the songs they sing each and every week!

Again though, you are missing the entire point of the thread!

I am not expecting each and every individual to respect the appeal, what I do expect is every single British club to honour and respect those men and women who died fighting for their country.

What do you want? I mean specifically? Saying "respect the appeal" again isn't good enough. Specifics.

Man Utd says they couldnt put a poppy on their top because of their top is red and it wont be noticable or some balls but what would be up with putting it on the black V thats comes across the top of it! Scumbags

Man Utd says they couldnt put a poppy on their top because of their top is red and it wont be noticable or some balls but what would be up with putting it on the black V thats comes across the top of it! Scumbags

Too right. They should be stoned to death for ignoring the centuries old tradition of having poppies on football jerseys.

I did not single out Celtic man, I mentioned celtic&sunderland as 2clubs who did nothing for the appeal last year, the thread was then shaped by other posters to become a sectarian aspect!

My question was why a club would not wish to respect it?

IMO it is extremely disrespectful of a club not to respect it!

Perhaps I am naive in thinking it is natural to want to, but I cannot understand why people would actively speak out against it!

It is for people like dan and his situation that I feel sorry for, and as for this poppy facism, I just find it all to be a mentality I will never understand!

I'm not going to bother with trying to reason with you anymore. As you say, you'll never understand...

Too right. They should be stoned to death for ignoring the centuries old tradition of having poppies on football jerseys.

Did anyone explain this poppies on shirts thing and WHY it started when it did? As I said before it can only be less than five years at the most.

Guest toonlass

Did anyone explain this poppies on shirts thing and WHY it started when it did? As I said before it can only be less than five years at the most.

Does it actually matter when it started? The whole point is that for one minute people can have a minute to remember that thousands of people died to ensure we are free. I don't care whether people want to wear a poppy or not, or want to spend that minute silently thanking those who made the sacrifice or if they spend the minute silently singing the theme tune of the simpson's in their head. What annoys me is that there are some who won't allow that minute of silence to go ahead because they are ignorant idiots.

Does it actually matter when it started? The whole point is that for one minute people can have a minute to remember that thousands of people died to ensure we are free. I don't care whether people want to wear a poppy or not, or want to spend that minute silently thanking those who made the sacrifice or if they spend the minute silently singing the theme tune of the simpson's in their head. What annoys me is that there are some who won't allow that minute of silence to go ahead because they are ignorant idiots.

Who? Again, be specific.

Well yes it does matter, if only for the curiosity value. I mean we've had wars forever, soldiers dying for hundreds and thousands of years, poppies since 1918 but footballers wearing poppies since less than five years ago? It doesn't make sense to me. It's not as if the general public or footballers cares more than they did 30 or 40 years ago, we're just meant to show it more for some reason. I'm sure years ago a minute's silence for Remembrance day was only held if the 11th fell on a Saturday.

Well yes it does matter, if only for the curiosity value. I mean we've had wars forever, soldiers dying for hundreds and thousands of years, poppies since 1918 but footballers wearing poppies since less than five years ago? It doesn't make sense to me. It's not as if the general public or footballers cares more than they did 30 or 40 years ago, we're just meant to show it more for some reason. I'm sure years ago a minute's silence for Remembrance day was only held if the 11th fell on a Saturday.

it's a change in society since august 31st 1997 (googled it). now we all have to show that we care wether we do or don't.

Are you being serious? How can you not understand why public support for the poppy campaign may have increased in the last, I dunno, eight years or so....!?!?

Are you being serious? How can you not understand why public support for the poppy campaign may have increased in the last, I dunno, eight years or so....!?!?

I'd like to understand exactly why the thread poster feels some clubs aren't showing due respect.

Guest Geordiekev

Individuals coco yes, but surely any British club with an ounce of respect should honour the men & women who died for this nation?

it's only been very recently that this has went on though and the "poppy facism" that goes with it.

are you English?

Please explain poppy facism...

Thinks he means its no longer a matter choice whether you choose to wear one or not, you are expected to whatever your beliefs on the matter.

Yes it's a matter of personal choice, I for one don't wear one yet I am an ex-serviceman, I have my memories and think about the families of every serviceman that is wounded or killed in conflict/war on a daily basis (not only on rememberance day). I see you bleat on about facism but imagine a world living under a Nazi regime, there are many races and religions that would have been extinguished from existance had those men and women not gave their lives in order to preserve them.

Last time in N.I. it was for a good friend that lived in Cookstown who was tragically killed during the Tsunami in Thailand, we all mixed regardless of religion, I drank in bars that I would not have dared set foot in 10yr prior, so why is this possible, why would an Protestant, ex-british soldier that used to patrol Belfast be welcomed into Catholic church in Ulster. The answer was simple in the fact that Connor (my mate) had no religious or extreme beliefs and the fact we were all there for the one sole purpose of remeberance.

If you don't agree with it then all people ask is that for 60 seconds you respect those that do, no one is forcing anyone to wear a poppy or stitching your mouth shut, I'm sure there would have been many that disliked the fact I was present but for that day this was put aside so I could pay my respects, this is all that is asked of those that don't support remeberance.

I'm more than sure that the overwhelming majority at the various football stadiums this weekend had no issue what so ever with the 1 minutes silence and I'm also sorry to those people that were struck over the head with a collection box by some young Army Cadet forcing you to purchase a poppy.

In reality there would more than likely have been more complaints about those two twins getting through the Xfactor last night than the "facist way in which we we all forced to offer a minutes silence" :idiot2:

Yes we havce facists... they are usually the ones that gather in large groups with their banners demanding change via abusive and threatening behaviour whilst the rest of us earn a living and enjoy some kind of normallity in our lives.

Guest toonlass

I'd like to understand exactly why the thread poster feels some clubs aren't showing due respect.

Who said the clubs aren't? I said some Celtic fans chose to sing republican rebel songs during the minute of silence and that spoiled it for everyone there. Maybe you don't want to show respect for the people who have given their lives so that you can live yours, but to actively disrespect them is just wrong, imo. I don't know why or when the football clubs decided to start to have a minute's silence for remembrance day but in a society so apathetic to most things it is nice to see that some people do want to show respect to the people who died.

Who said the clubs aren't? I said some Celtic fans chose to sing republican rebel songs during the minute of silence and that spoiled it for everyone there. Maybe you don't want to show respect for the people who have given their lives so that you can live yours, but to actively disrespect them is just wrong, imo. I don't know why or when the football clubs decided to start to have a minute's silence for remembrance day but in a society so apathetic to most things it is nice to see that some people do want to show respect to the people who died.

I say Man Utd/Liverpool aren't, as they've actively refused a request to have a poppy sewn on their shirts.

Celtic put a poppy on, even though they've got a wide range of scum fans who'd object to it, so if anything they've done better than most.

We've 2 different arguments here.