Danny Simpson (Premier League Champion)

Guest toonlass

So has everyone changed their minds on the lad then? He got some immense stick not so long ago.

Obviously he looks much better in comparison to James 'what position am I playing again?' Perch, but still... the turnaround is impressive.

(FWIW I agree he's looked much better recently)

So has everyone changed their minds on the lad then? He got some immense stick not so long ago.

Obviously he looks much better in comparison to James 'what position am I playing again?' Perch, but still... the turnaround is impressive.

I will hold my hands up and say that I never thought he was more than a slightly above average championship player and never thought he would cut it in the premier league, but there is no doubting he's been fantastic since returning from his injury, and is not just because I'm comparing him to Perch. Certainly earned himself another shot, and if he can keep this run up for a longer period of time, then yes, he will have changed my mind.

He still has a way to go, for me, but his ability to be in the right place at the right time on multiple occasions today was massive.

Made some strong tackles along with it, but he is still desperately poor in possession at times. Looks like a rabbit in headlights.

That's just confidence though, I'd imagine, and it's only his third game back after a lengthy spell out. Still prepared to give him every chance; as you can only see him improving further with games. Some of the signs today were very positive indeed and I can't recall a better defensive performance from him.

Might have helped him being told to "stay at home" by Hughton in that he was just able to focus on being solid at the back without being expected to get up and down too much (reduced the danger of him being caught out of position). Both fullbacks were solid today without offering much of anything going forwards - although that did appear to be the gameplan.

I wonder how much of it is due to the fact Barton has been on the right since he came in and offers much more protection than Routledge. Loses fewer balls than Routledge as he doesn't try to skin his man and is tactically more aware.

Nevertheless, Simpson's played well in his own right since coming back. Hope he can keep it up.

Still backs off too much for my liking but has been superb last couple of games. Long may it continue.

Someone raised this in the Sunderland match thread, is it not down to the new 'style' of defending? Make the opposition beat you through skill rather than allowing them to run/pass behind our defence. Seems to minimising opposition chances.

Made some strong tackles along with it, but he is still desperately poor in possession at times. Looks like a rabbit in headlights.

That's just confidence though, I'd imagine, and it's only his third game back after a lengthy spell out. Still prepared to give him every chance; as you can only see him improving further with games. Some of the signs today were very positive indeed and I can't recall a better defensive performance from him.

Don't remember him being known for his crossing, but the last two games has seen him put in a couple of excellent deliveries. Can't really fault the lad for not wanting to get caught in possession/dwell on the ball at the Emirates, it's more surprising that the rest of the team were generally so calm on the ball given that we were leading 1-0 against a very, very good team away from home :lol:

Still backs off too much for my liking but has been superb last couple of games. Long may it continue.

Someone raised this in the Sunderland match thread, is it not down to the new 'style' of defending? Make the opposition beat you through skill rather than allowing them to run/pass behind our defence. Seems to minimising opposition chances.

Not when he is allowing people into the box area when anything can happen. I'm not saying he should be diving in everytime as that'd be worse, just not allowing so much space. Hasn't been so bad for it this season (so far) though.

Not when he is allowing people into the box area when anything can happen. I'm not saying he should be diving in everytime as that'd be worse, just not allowing so much space. Hasn't been so bad for it this season (so far) though.

I've thought about this aswell. His positional sense seems to have improved a lot this year. Where last year he let attacking players into the box at almost all times before trying to make a challenge, he seems to have the confidence to take them on further out towards the sidelines this year.

I've thought about this aswell. His positional sense seems to have improved a lot this year. Where last year he let attacking players into the box at almost all times before trying to make a challenge, he seems to have the confidence to take them on further out towards the sidelines this year.

Indeed, the gameplan v Arsenal was evidently force them down the wings and keep them wide which is understandable and I could understand him backing off/jockeying the oppposing player down the line forcing him to put in a cross but there was a couple of times just don't do when players are actively cutting inside though. Definitely a marked improvement, long may it continue against MGP.

Indeed, the gameplan v Arsenal was evidently force them down the wings and keep them wide which is understandable and I could understand him backing off/jockeying the oppposing player down the line forcing him to put in a cross but there was a couple of times just don't do when players are actively cutting inside though. Definitely a marked improvement, long may it continue against MGP.

If MGP is playing down his side, surely we'd want him cutting in?

No idea. I haven't watched a Blackburn match since the last time we played them.

Just want him to continue improving markedly, as above :thup:.

No idea. I haven't watched a Blackburn match since the last time we played them.

Just want him to continue improving markedly, as above :thup:.

Always remember him having a cracking left-foot, might be a gameplan to shepherd him infield where he can get crowded out by Tiote/Nolan/Barton and onto his right foot (i.e. what we should have done vs Zoggy). Nasri on the other hand, wants to come inside and shoot on his right, doesn't much care for going wide and whipping in crosses.

Agree with the continued improvement, pleasantly surprised by his performances so far - although the cynic in me wonders if the general dismay at Perch's right back abilities (or lackof) has lowered expectations...

Guest Heneage

I'd argue he's the epitome of an Ashley signing. Bought for a very small fee at a young age with the intent to develop him, if we were to sell him tomorrow we'd arguably get a couple of million, meaning a tidy profit. It's nice to see he is showing promise after an indifferent first season (supposedly due to injury) he's not far off 24 so should be beginning to feel settled, and the steady nature of our current defence can only improve him imo.

As others have mentioned his stand off approach and questionable passing are his only real concerns but they are fixable.