The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

This whole discussion is really depressing btw. Next season is going to be f***ing horrific.

The more I think about the gash in the Premier League the more hopeful I am. Sure, we're likely to be bummed off most of the top six or seven clubs but we only have to be above West Brom, Blackpool (both of whom are proven to be worse than we are) and one other from the likes of Wigan, Wolves and so on. That's only to ensure survival of course but it's hardly a long shot.

Thats the one I worry about. More so because those teams seem to be spending money whilst we're still spending money from the Bassong deal. Last season, I'd fancy us to stay up at the expense of the 3 that went down as they were all considerably worse than the rest of the league, this season however it'll be much more tight.

This whole discussion is really depressing btw. Next season is going to be fucking horrific.

The more I think about the gash in the Premier League the more hopeful I am. Sure, we're likely to be bummed off most of the top six or seven clubs but we only have to be above West Brom, Blackpool (both of whom we conclusively proved last year we are better than) and one other from the likes of Wigan, Wolves and so on. That's only to ensure survival of course but it's hardly a long shot.

Agree. I'm definitely more hopeful than I could have been. At least there's a good potential for more transfers and more bodies can only help so long as they all fit in.

We all know Hughtons not a tactical genius but he does seem to be able to manage a group of players and get performances from them.

Guest malandro

I don't understand how playing well in lower divisions would be something to be proud of.

Try last season.

Guest malandro

This whole discussion is really depressing btw. Next season is going to be f***ing horrific.

The more I think about the gash in the Premier League the more hopeful I am. Sure, we're likely to be bummed off most of the top six or seven clubs but we only have to be above West Brom, Blackpool (both of whom we conclusively proved last year we are better than) and one other from the likes of Wigan, Wolves and so on. That's only to ensure survival of course but it's hardly a long shot.

How many times did we beat WBA?

Dave, its comes down to the fact that yes we know Ashleys a cunt but do we accept that we work within the shitty constraints that he has imposed on us?    I dont think we should.

I guess hardly anyone agrees with me and I'm fairly pissed but I just think we are a better and a bigger club than to be narrowing pitches to scrape results and I can never agree with it 

Nobody likes it, but what else can be done? The only acceptance comes from the fact that Ashley seems to be going nowhere.

If the manager thinks narrowing the pitch will help the club this season then so be it IMO.

None. What's your point?

For what its worth, with the personnel we have, I think hughton could send them out to play a passing game and earn enough points to scrape us survival next season.

I definitely believe that if you maintain a positive mentality to the teams pattern of play, then, the majority of time, you do enough in the end.

Dave, its comes down to the fact that yes we know Ashleys a c*** but do we accept that we work within the shitty constraints that he has imposed on us?    I dont think we should.

I guess hardly anyone agrees with me and I'm fairly pissed but I just think we are a better and a bigger club than to be narrowing pitches to scrape results and I can never agree with it 

This is a perfect example of why we get tagged in the media as 'deluded'.

Guest malandro

None. What's your point?

Finishing above a side we failed to beat in three game last season (drew two, got thumped in the FA Cup) might not be as easy as you think. 

Guest Brummiemag

I'm sorry but seeing us play attractive football is important to me. Regardless of whether it sees us get relegated.

Call it personal pride or whatever you like but I would be more proud of the team if they went down trying to play football rather than just play kick and rush s**** just to survive.

Ultimately, its the players that get you relegated and not the style of football you play. WBA et al went down because they werent good enough - not because of they style of football they played.

Spot on. Newcastle to me represent the City, the region, the people and I want to see them inspire and command respect and to have ideals that are solid and lasting.

I would rather play in the 4th division with pride intact and head held high than resort to s*** like narrowing the pitch or playing weakened teams in the Cup competions. We are Newcastle for f*** sake, not some other shitty club. Does anyone think Keegan or Robson would do it?

We are not Stoke City or Wigan.

For f*** sake, don't fall for the Mike Ashley bullshit. He has been unbelievably successful in lowering expectations by the look of it.

The arrogance is astounding. Incase your forgetting we're in the same boat as them now man. Just because we're Newcastle doesnt mean we have to devine right to play good football, thats not what the game is all about. Amazing how you can expect to come straight up playing good football dismissing expectations of a relegation scrap. Thats not how being a promoted team works.

At the end of the day Results are the be all and end all. Theres no arguing with that regardless of how nice or poor football we play.

No, to me and a lot of my mates, results are not the be all and end all so there is an argument with it.    Don't assume you speak for everyone

At the end of the day I want Newcastle to play good football and see what happens and I know other people who follow us home and away who think the same thing.

Is it now disloyal or a crime to want us to play good football? 

The growing number of empty seats will tell you its not just me who thinks that.

None. What's your point?

Finishing above a side we failed to beat in three game last season (drew two, got thumped in the FA Cup) might not be as easy as you think. 

Good job we'll only play them twice out of our 38 games then...

I never said it would be easy btw, just that the facts are that at present we are better than them.

For what its worth, with the personnel we have, I think hughton could send them out to play a passing game and earn enough points to scrape us survival next season.

I definitely believe that if you maintain a positive mentality to the teams pattern of play, then, the majority of time, you do enough in the end.

If we sent out a team to play a passing game and it earnt us points, what makes you think Hughton would change to a defensive game rather than sticking with it? Likewise I can't see why Hughton wouldn't try a more positive approach if setting up defensively was getting us nowhere.

I'm sorry but seeing us play attractive football is important to me. Regardless of whether it sees us get relegated.

Call it personal pride or whatever you like but I would be more proud of the team if they went down trying to play football rather than just play kick and rush s**** just to survive.

Ultimately, its the players that get you relegated and not the style of football you play. WBA et al went down because they werent good enough - not because of they style of football they played.

Spot on. Newcastle to me represent the City, the region, the people and I want to see them inspire and command respect and to have ideals that are solid and lasting.

I would rather play in the 4th division with pride intact and head held high than resort to s*** like narrowing the pitch or playing weakened teams in the Cup competions. We are Newcastle for f*** sake, not some other shitty club. Does anyone think Keegan or Robson would do it?

For f*** sake, don't fall for the Mike Ashley bullshit. He has been unbelievably successful in lowering expectations by the look of it.

The arrogance is astounding. Incase your forgetting we're in the same boat as them now man. Just because we're Newcastle doesnt mean we have to devine right to play good football, thats not what the game is all about. Amazing how you can expect to come straight up playing good football dismissing expectations of a relegation scrap. Thats not how being a promoted team works.

At the end of the day Results are the be all and end all. Theres no arguing with that regardless of how nice or poor football we play.

No, to me and a lot of my mates, results are not the be all and end all so there is an argument with it.     Don't assume you speak for everyone

At the end of the day I want Newcastle to play good football and see what happens and I know other people who follow us home and away who think the same thing.

Is it now disloyal or a crime to want us to play good football?  

The growing number of empty seats will tell you its not just me who thinks that.

Have a fucking word man. Do you not think we all want Newcastle to play good football? Of course we do, but the fact is results come first and we're a veyr poor side at the minute, so every point matters - this season is firmly about staying up, if we do that then maybe next year we can start thinking about style and attractive football.

The league don't award points for playing well, so get out of the Kevin Keegan era and come back to the real world. We NEED to stay up at any cost.

If we sent out a team to play a passing game and it earnt us points, what makes you think Hughton would change to a defensive game rather than sticking with it? Likewise I can't see why Hughton wouldn't try a more positive approach if setting up defensively was getting us nowhere.

Sorry if I have misunderstood your first point Dave but if we started earning points playing a passing game, I wouldnt want him to change. Granted we would probably get a bumming from the better sides in the league.

As for your second point, that's all i ask of Hughton really. I hope he can be expansive (that the word ?) enough to look to change something if it planely isnt working.

Guest MrBrown

That's funny, because I'd happily swap Wigan's squad for ours.

Call it personal pride or whatever you like but I would be more proud of the team if they went down trying to play football rather than just play kick and rush shite just to survive.

I would rather play in the 4th division with pride intact and head held high than resort to shit like narrowing the pitch or playing weakened teams in the Cup competions. We are Newcastle for fuck sake, not some other shitty club. Does anyone think Keegan or Robson would do it?

For fuck sake, don't fall for the Mike Ashley bullshit. He has been unbelievably successful in lowering expectations by the look of it.

It's a good job I'm not pissed or I'd probably get banned for replying to that arrogant bunch of horse shite :lol:

Guest Brummiemag

Well I would probably get banned if I replied to your load of bollocks.

Anyway Ashley will be proud of you - you have just the sort of opinions he wants to hear

Urgh. I hate it when Ashley's labelled as a cartoon villain. He's just incompetent with a fairly diluted care for the club itself.

I doubt he has an opinion on David Icke's comments.

Well I would probably get banned if I replied to your load of bollocks.

Anyway Ashley will be proud of you - you have just the sort of opinions he wants to hear

There's a difference between wanting something and accepting it.

You really are narrowminded if you think people are saying "Scrappy, awful football is great! Yey to not attacking!"

It's called accepting reality and not waiting for something that isn't going to happen and there is nothing you can do about it.

It's the same with those "demanding" Hughton kicks off with Ashley to get more funds. It would be pointless because nothing will change.

If that's me accepting the shit state we are in but those who are apparently not accepting it don't seem to be doing much about it except moaning on an internet message board. In fact being a Barbie fan who doesn't shop at sports direct I am giving Ashley no money, so in theory I am practically Che Guevara, revolution! :D

Guest Brummiemag

Oh come off it David Icke, I'd happily buy you a pint if I bump into you before a game.

I just think we should expect and demand a little bit more than survival at all costs thats all. My worry is that we will survive next season and be in exactly the same position this time next year and we will be having exactly the same arguments.

And I do have a view that Newcastle should start with the premise of trying to play decent football whatever their position , surely you can respect that even if you don't agree with it?