The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest ProudToBeAGeordie

He will play Negative again v Cardiff on Friday  wary of their goal scoring threat away from home.    I've a feeling Chopra will be well up for this after that prick spat in his face at the Palace game :(

Still don't know what to make of him tbh. Can we consider him a rookie making rookie mistakes? It IS his first full time managerial job afterall. Would we be saying the same thing had it been Shearer or say Speed in their first full season as manager?

Hughton has been in football long enough to be able to make basic footballing decisions.

Of course, he has been a coach for donkey's. But the level of responsibility certainly isn't the same is it? He's probably still not used to the limelight yet - camera on him in the dugout, pre-match interviews etc...Different ball game altogether.

He will play Negative again v Cardiff on Friday  wary of their goal scoring threat away from home.    I've a feeling Chopra will be well up for this after that prick spat in his face at the Palace game :(

He wont, he only does it away from home. I expect Cardiff will be better, hopefully gets Jonas & Loven off the bench after their rest. Need to mark that Whittingham lad out of the game though.

Hughton is cautious. Too cautious in my view but suppose we are top of the league so can't complain too much. However, the lack of invention from midfield and the fact that we play the safe ball or lump it is getting beyond a joke. It doesn't take much to suss us out really. We always seem to work on grinding people down rather than actually playing football. In many ways that is because we don't have the personnel but there are options available to him which he seems intent on ignoring. Last night's game was a case in point. He changed personnel but very much the same routine occurred. Last 5 mins it was lofting ball into the box and hoping. No thought. Unless he alters the formation or at leasts varies it (that would be a novelty) then we can expect the same level of entertainment we have had thus far.

Too many teams have sussed us out and whilst they haven't broken us down just yet (although they had had plenty of good chances to do so - Miller and Fryatt certainly should have) we should be letting them worry about us. Guthrie is about as good as we have in central midfield in terms of vision (sadly) and that is a worry as we create very very little other than through the usual routine. Makes us very easy to manage in terms of tactics.

His latest explanation:

“With them down to 10 for so long, there’s disappointment that we didn’t capitalise,” confessed Hughton.

“I decided to make sure we were very solid through the middle of the park.

And we had Kevin Nolan playing off the front man – a position where he’s scored a lot of goals this season."

Yeah we were impenetrable through the middle

His latest explanation:

“With them down to 10 for so long, there’s disappointment that we didn’t capitalise,” confessed Hughton.

“I decided to make sure we were very solid through the middle of the park.

And we had Kevin Nolan playing off the front man – a position where he’s scored a lot of goals this season."

Yeah we were impenetrable through the middle

He could maybe have justified it against 11 men, but to stick with it for the majority of the game against 10 men was cowardly.

Guest toonlass

Hughton can't win really. Yes he makes a lot of mistakes, but we are still top of the league. He is not a manager, he is a coach and there is a big difference, especially with the relationships a manager has with players and a coach does. He will also be earning a lot less than the top paid lads at the club, which doesn't help. However we are still top of the league, we grind out results where we would have capitulated in the past, with the WBA game at home being the biggest example of that. In the past us going down a goal would have knocked the stuffing right out of us, but we came back twice to get a draw. Considering the crap that has gone on in the past two years, and also the fact that even Hughton would admit he is not a manager but a coach we are doing well. Now if only we could start playing decent football..

Hughton can't win really. Yes he makes a lot of mistakes, but we are still top of the league. He is not a manager, he is a coach and there is a big difference, especially with the relationships a manager has with players and a coach does. He will also be earning a lot less than the top paid lads at the club, which doesn't help. However we are still top of the league, we grind out results where we would have capitulated in the past, with the WBA game at home being the biggest example of that. In the past us going down a goal would have knocked the stuffing right out of us, but we came back twice to get a draw. Considering the crap that has gone on in the past two years, and also the fact that even Hughton would admit he is not a manager but a coach we are doing well. Now if only we could start playing decent football..

Don't think the bit in bold is true. (Almost) every manager is getting less money than his top players, or am I that wrong here? Don't think Fergie for example earns more than Rooney does.

Of course, he has been a coach for donkey's. But the level of responsibility certainly isn't the same is it? He's probably still not used to the limelight yet - camera on him in the dugout, pre-match interviews etc...Different ball game altogether.

The pressure will be greater now that he's manager, as for the camera being on him and the interviews, that hasn't really changed just because he's got the job.

Guest toonlass

Using "Hughton isn't a manager" is lame, he's our manager and should and will be judged on that basis.

[/quote

His title may be manager, but he is more of a coach.

Most of team looks pretty unfit. The whole squad stinks of players resting on laurels instead of striving to improve.

I thought that myself watching us struggle to keep up with 10 men. It's hard to believe that they are training as hard as they should be.

Yesterday was shocking. It was clear that they were in awe of us for the first 10/15 minutes but rather than press them and change to a 442 we stuck with 451 and they eventually got a foothold. Even when they lost a man Butt was so anonymous for large parts of the game it wasn't really an advantage.

His substitutions, which are usually very good, were piss poor too. Smith wasn't great yesterday but Butt was worse. Get him off rather than Smudger. I'd have taken Nolan off but Pancrate? Fucking hell. :facepalm:

Guest Stephen927

Pancrate helped us to keep the ball down the right when he came on, rather than Routledge there losing the ball. Routledge should be looking to get chalk on his boots, but too many times he was coming inside, just like Guthrie on the other wing.

Yesterday was shocking. It was clear that they were in awe of us for the first 10/15 minutes but rather than press them and change to a 442 we stuck with 451 and they eventually got a foothold. Even when they lost a man Butt was so anonymous for large parts of the game it wasn't really an advantage.

His substitutions, which are usually very good, were piss poor too. Smith wasn't great yesterday but Butt was worse. Get him off rather than Smudger. I'd have taken Nolan off but Pancrate? f***ing hell. :facepalm:

You're having a laugh? :lol:

Guest neesy111

he'll not win 1 game in premiership, he remind's of me of allardyce just not as much as a twat

what's our strike partnership cos he change's it every fucking game, no wonder they are not in form

he'll not win 1 game in premiership, he remind's of me of allardyce just not as much as a t***

what's our strike partnership cos he change's it every f***ing game, no wonder they are not in form

Agreed, he changes far too much far too often.