The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest malandro

Lovenkrands had some "gilt edged" chances last night and I thought sheffield were toothless up front. There goal was a lack of fight and concentration from our marker, gifted him that header...

A fair score I thought, although the defenders around Nolan suffered some "matrix" slow motion reactions whilst he scratched his arse, positioned himself, took a sup and then overgut kicked the ball into the back of the net. As long as he keeps scoring I'm not too bothered. He was all over the pitch last night regardless of how "overweight" he looks to some. Good shift!

Hughton kept faith well when they looked a bit lethargic in the first half and they fairly dominated the second. I'll put it down to his half time tea cup tantrum :)

Well done to hughton and good luck for next season, I am 100% behind him and would be dissapointed if another manager was brought in.

Which he missed. Next season he’ll be even more likely to miss them as chances will be scarcer and the pressure to put them away will be greater. Our opponents however will make more chances and be more likely to put them away. I know this is stating the obvious but goals change games and we haven’t been punished this season. How many times have we been two goals down and chasing the game, once and we lost three nowt? A lot has been made of the team’s resilience but in reality it’s not been greatly tested.

bristol away

Bristol away. Derby away and the LC game, which was a different kettle of fish. The point still stands - we’ve been 2-0 down three times and managed one draw. It’s not a real test of the teams resilience, nothing like the mental challenge we’ll be facing next season.

Lovenkrands had some "gilt edged" chances last night and I thought sheffield were toothless up front. There goal was a lack of fight and concentration from our marker, gifted him that header...

A fair score I thought, although the defenders around Nolan suffered some "matrix" slow motion reactions whilst he scratched his arse, positioned himself, took a sup and then overgut kicked the ball into the back of the net. As long as he keeps scoring I'm not too bothered. He was all over the pitch last night regardless of how "overweight" he looks to some. Good shift!

Hughton kept faith well when they looked a bit lethargic in the first half and they fairly dominated the second. I'll put it down to his half time tea cup tantrum :)

Well done to hughton and good luck for next season, I am 100% behind him and would be dissapointed if another manager was brought in.

Which he missed. Next season hell be even more likely to miss them as chances will be scarcer and the pressure to put them away will be greater. Our opponents however will make more chances and be more likely to put them away. I know this is stating the obvious but goals change games and we havent been punished this season. How many times have we been two goals down and chasing the game, once and we lost three nowt? A lot has been made of the teams resilience but in reality its not been greatly tested.

bristol away

Bristol away. Derby away and the LC game, which was a different kettle of fish. The point still stands - weve been 2-0 down three times and managed one draw. Its not a real test of the teams resilience, nothing like the mental challenge well be facing next season.

So you're saying because we haven't given many teams a head start we're not very good? :undecided:

Keep Chris!

Lets face it the guy came in when we were at our lowest point and as far as i am aware he did not moan or bitch about the whole situation once! He puut his head down and got on with the job and in doing so he stabilised the club froim the players up.

He deserves his chance and, although there are improvements that need to be made such as suad selection and the introduction of exciting/attacking football, i reaally think that this guy can become great but not a messiah because we already have too many of those :D 

If there’s one person who’s benefited from the turmoil at the club since Ashley took over its Chris Hughton. It would have been a bit rich if he’d started moaning about it.

Yes he'll benefit even more when he's the lowest paid manager in the premier league. :rolleyes:

Still a lot better than being an assistant manager of no real repute, and better paid. If Wise hadn’t brought Hughton in just before the s*** started hitting the fan he’d probably never of had a shot at management, or if he did he’d have to have started right down the leagues and earned a shot at managing a club of NUFC’s stature.

He’s taken his opportunity well but trying to deny NUFC’s misfortune has been very good for Hughton’s career is wankfest thinking.

Hughton has done less well out of the Ashley turmoil than Wise, Keegan and Shearer - who have each sucked multiples of Hughton's salary out of the club in the last few years.

You could say he is very lucky to have the job.

OR

You could say he was given a job he didn't really want because of all the fucking about, did pretty well at it and earned his chance to do it on a more permanent basis.

Depending on how negatively you want to portray everything that is.

Guest toonlass

It is really pissing me off that people are still slagging Hughton off. Look at the Boro man! They have a "proper" manager and aren't even in the playoffs, and don't give me any bollocks about Strachan not having the full season, it's neigh as dammit! Hughton has taken Newcastle team which could have imploded and ended up like Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday or Nottingham Forest and made them into a team which have bonded and played for each other (ignoring the Taylor Carroll incident).

I don't feel he has earned the right to manage next year as he's only managed one season in the Championship with a good set of players for that level! I wouldn't base any decisions on one season and for what it's worth at the first sign of trouble next year I would be calling for his head as I'd rather get it over with as soon as possible, rather than let it drag on like it did under Souness and Roeder where you knew from the beginning that it was never going to work. Before people have ago at that attitude, at the first sign of trouble next year what reason would I have for thinking he could turn it around?

I also view NUFC as a big club worthy of someone much better than Hughton, someone with a track record where it wouldn’t be such a gamble, simple as that really!! I find it embarrassing that a club like Fulham could have a much better manager than Newcastle and yet get half our gate!

Reading some of the threads on here, I can’t believe how far some people’s ambitions and expectations have fell.

I don't feel he has earned the right to manage next year as he's only managed one season in the Championship with a good set of players for that level! I wouldn't base any decisions on one season and for what it's worth at the first sign of trouble next year I would be calling for his head as I'd rather get it over with as soon as possible, rather than let it drag on like it did under Souness and Roeder where you knew from the beginning that it was never going to work. Before people have ago at that attitude, at the first sign of trouble next year what reason would I have for thinking he could turn it around?

I also view NUFC as a big club worthy of someone much better than Hughton, someone with a track record where it wouldn’t be such a gamble, simple as that really!! I find it embarrassing that a club like Fulham could have a much better manager than Newcastle and yet get half our gate!

Reading some of the threads on here, I can’t believe how far some people’s ambitions and expectations have fell.

What a delightfully arrogant post.

I also view NUFC as a big club worthy of someone much better than Hughton, someone with a track record where it wouldnt be such a gamble, simple as that really!! I find it embarrassing that a club like Fulham could have a much better manager than Newcastle and yet get half our gate!

Reading some of the threads on here, I cant believe how far some peoples ambitions and expectations have fell.

Who can we get in with a proven track record that will definitely suceed here?

Someone like Souness or Allardyce? How about that Strachan fella, what is he doing these days? These are all "proven" managers who have had relative success at some points in their careers and the type of manager we would realistically attract at the moment.

I have said this before but there is no-one who I realistically think we could get that will definitely ensure we stay up, especially as they will be working under Ashley.

It's all well and good saying get someone else in but unless Wenger or Mourinho fancy a proper challenge then stability seems as good an option as anything at the moment.

I hope you're doing a subtle piss take on the deluded Geordie stereotype.

I also view NUFC as a big club worthy of someone much better than Hughton, someone with a track record where it wouldnt be such a gamble, simple as that really!! I find it embarrassing that a club like Fulham could have a much better manager than Newcastle and yet get half our gate!

Reading some of the threads on here, I cant believe how far some peoples ambitions and expectations have fell.

Someone like Souness or Allardyce? How about that Strachan fella, what is he doing these days? These are all "proven" managers who have had relative success at some points in their careers and the type of manager we would realistically attract at the moment.

I have said this before but there is no-one who I realistically think we could get that will definitely ensure we stay up, especially as they will be working under Ashley.

It's all well and good saying get someone else in but unless Wenger or Mourinho fancy a proper challenge then stability seems as good an option as anything at the moment.

:thup:

:thup:

:snod:

Track records also don't win you games. As things stand, there's nothing between Hughton and a 'proven manager' as Hughton hasn't managed properly in the PL yet - it's ridiculous to write him off when he's earned his chance.

Guest malandro

Which he missed. Next season he’ll be even more likely to miss them as chances will be scarcer and the pressure to put them away will be greater. Our opponents however will make more chances and be more likely to put them away. I know this is stating the obvious but goals change games and we haven’t been punished this season. How many times have we been two goals down and chasing the game, once and we lost three nowt? A lot has been made of the team’s resilience but in reality it’s not been greatly tested.

bristol away

Bristol away. Derby away and the LC game, which was a different kettle of fish. The point still stands - we’ve been 2-0 down three times and managed one draw. It’s not a real test of the teams resilience, nothing like the mental challenge we’ll be facing next season.

So you're saying because we haven't given many teams a head start we're not very good? :undecided:

No I’m saying we’ll be going two down a lot next season and the much hyped team spirit will be tested in a way it hasn’t this. 

Which he missed. Next season hell be even more likely to miss them as chances will be scarcer and the pressure to put them away will be greater. Our opponents however will make more chances and be more likely to put them away. I know this is stating the obvious but goals change games and we havent been punished this season. How many times have we been two goals down and chasing the game, once and we lost three nowt? A lot has been made of the teams resilience but in reality its not been greatly tested.

bristol away

Bristol away. Derby away and the LC game, which was a different kettle of fish. The point still stands - weve been 2-0 down three times and managed one draw. Its not a real test of the teams resilience, nothing like the mental challenge well be facing next season.

No Im saying well be going two down a lot next season and the much hyped team spirit will be tested in a way it hasnt this. 

Coming back from two down has an awful lot more to do with being better than the opposition than it does with team spirit.

Very few teams come back from two down in any case overall.

Guest malandro

Keep Chris!

Lets face it the guy came in when we were at our lowest point and as far as i am aware he did not moan or bitch about the whole situation once! He puut his head down and got on with the job and in doing so he stabilised the club froim the players up.

He deserves his chance and, although there are improvements that need to be made such as suad selection and the introduction of exciting/attacking football, i reaally think that this guy can become great but not a messiah because we already have too many of those :D 

If there’s one person who’s benefited from the turmoil at the club since Ashley took over its Chris Hughton. It would have been a bit rich if he’d started moaning about it.

Yes he'll benefit even more when he's the lowest paid manager in the premier league. :rolleyes:

Still a lot better than being an assistant manager of no real repute, and better paid. If Wise hadn’t brought Hughton in just before the s*** started hitting the fan he’d probably never of had a shot at management, or if he did he’d have to have started right down the leagues and earned a shot at managing a club of NUFC’s stature.

He’s taken his opportunity well but trying to deny NUFC’s misfortune has been very good for Hughton’s career is wankfest thinking.

Hughton has done less well out of the Ashley turmoil than Wise, Keegan and Shearer - who have each sucked multiples of Hughton's salary out of the club in the last few years.

Aye, Keegan and Wise’s reputations have been vastly enhanced over the last two years.

I'm being serious, to answer some of the points I wouldn't say Souness or Strachan had a track record, well not a good one any way. With regards to Allardyce, you can't deny that he did a good job at Bolton for a number of years so at least we had a something to go off. Fair enough it didn't come off but at least there was some sort of rationale for appointing him.

So am I right in thinking that if we can't go for Wenger or Ferguson that we have to settle for Hughton???? Why don't we look abroad, it really is amazing that the North East has never got a manager direct from overseas, it says a lot about the people who have controlled our clubs.

Yes it is a risk getting someone from overseas, but we could go with someone who has a record of building a team and has done well in the transfer market. You cannot judge Hughton on one season in the Championship.

If we want to look closer to home, why not go for Roy Hodgson?

All I’m saying that we are far too big a club to be settling for someone like Hughton. Do people realise that we’ve had the third highest number of fans through the turnstiles this year and something like 5th highest average attendance? If we are going to base our decisions on a manager's ability to get promoted from the Championship and stay in the Premiership, why not go for Pulis?? Quite rightly that suggestion would be seen as ridiculous, just as appointing Hughton should be viewed the same.

I'm being serious, to answer some of the points I wouldn't say Souness or Strachan had a track record, well not a good one any way. With regards to Allardyce, you can't deny that he did a good job at Bolton for a number of years so at least we had a something to go off. Fair enough it didn't come off but at least there was some sort of rationale for appointing him.

So am I right in thinking that if we can't go for Wenger or Ferguson that we have to settle for Hughton???? Why don't we look abroad, it really is amazing that the North East has never got a manager direct from overseas, it says a lot about the people who have controlled our clubs.

Yes it is a risk getting someone from overseas, but we could go with someone who has a record of building a team and has done well in the transfer market. You cannot judge Hughton on one season in the Championship.

All Im saying that we are far too big a club to be settling for someone like Hughton. Do people realise that weve had the third highest number of fans through the turnstiles this year and something like 5th highest average attendance? If we are going to base our decisions on a manager's ability to get promoted from the Championship and stay in the Premiership, why not go for Pulis?? Quite rightly that suggestion would be seen as ridiculous, just as appointing Hughton should be viewed the same.

I was about to respond until I read that :lol:

Not really, Pulis would be a new man coming in with new ideas etc.. Hughton is here and settled at the club.

I doubt Hodgson is in any rush to leave Fulham.

I don't think it's as easy as you seem to think it is to get this mystery foreign manager who will do well. You say yourself it's a gamble so why don't we take a gamble on the manager we have already got rather than have another season of upheaval with the team getting used to the new manager and the new manager settling trying to get used to the team.

Next season will be hard enough, the last thing we need is more disruption.

Not really, Pulis would be a new man coming in with new ideas etc.. Hughton is here and settled at the club.

I don't think it's as easy as you seem to think it is to get this mystery foreign manager who will do well. You say yourself it's a gamble so why don't we take a gamble on the manager we have already got rather than have another season of upheaval with the team getting used to the new manager and the new manager settling trying to get used to the team.

I'm not saying I disagree (because I don't) but in terms if disruption, do you think Hughton will see out the season?

I'm not saying I disagree (because I don't) but in terms if disruption, do you think Hughton will see out the season?

No idea but I hope so, we have had enough change over the years and it has just got worse and worse. For once I would like us to try and ride it out and see how we get on.

Would Moyes has survived here with the rollercoaster results he got at Everton in the first 4 years? I am not so sure.

Guest malandro

All I’m saying that we are far too big a club to be settling for someone like Hughton. Do people realise that we’ve had the third highest number of fans through the turnstiles this year and something like 5th highest average attendance? If we are going to base our decisions on a manager's ability to get promoted from the Championship and stay in the Premiership, why not go for Pulis?? Quite rightly that suggestion would be seen as ridiculous, just as appointing Hughton should be viewed the same.

Everyone has to start somewhere and now Hughton’s in place and getting results it would make no sense replacing him in the summer. The destabilising effect would do more harm than good.

Instability is what’s done the most damage to NUFC over the last five years. We have some momentum and the debate should be about how adept at keeping it going Hughton will be, not who we should replace him with in the summer.