Newcastle United 2 - 2 West Brom - 18/01/10 - post match reaction from page 27

Dave

Fucking Jonas, made a right tit of myself ranting at him. Sums him up. Their second goal was criminal defending, put a fucking challenge in. Lucky to get away with a point in the end. WBA are much better team than us but lack the cutting edge a few of our lot possess. Honestly, Nolan is abysmal. Guthrie easily MoM. Relieved we didn't lose but shows how fucked we are if we don't go up this season, we'll lose the tiny bit of quality that sets us apart and without that we're midtable in this league at best.

I think some people are overreacting a bit.

The game was more must not lose than must win. The gap between ourselves and West Brom is still six points, both face tricky away ties with their game in hand. Who's position would you rather be in? I know what a West Brom fan would say. Forest have made things a bit nervy but again, we're still in a superior position. That is why it was important to build up a lead, we were always going to have a little bit of a blip at some stage, yet we're still clear.

Regarding the game itself we were outplayed in parts, but hasn't the been the theme for the season? We don't have a midfield capable of playing good football, we've been relying heavily on the defence but now they are starting to make mistakes we are starting to drop points. It's no secret we need reinforcements but as long as that tit is in charge we aren't going to get many.

Fucking Jonas, made a right tit of myself ranting at him. Sums him up. Their second goal was criminal defending, put a fucking challenge in. Lucky to get away with a point in the end. WBA are much better team than us but lack the cutting edge a few of our lot possess. Honestly, Nolan is abysmal. Guthrie easily MoM. Relieved we didn't lose but shows how fucked we are if we don't go up this season, we'll lose the tiny bit of quality that sets us apart and without that we're midtable in this league at best.

We are fucked if we do go up as well  :undecided:

As long as we're still winning eh?

A few said when we were poorly performing and getting the results that it wouldn't last but got shot down for being too negative.

We need to pull the finger out. Tonight is no different to how we've performed all season. A few missed chances in this league shouldn't equal dropped points for us but it has been the case time and time again.

To be honest if this current squad were promoted and not added to significantly, I'd be less worried about simple relegation and more concerned with doing a Sunderland/ Derby. We would simply not score goals in the top flight.

To be honest if this current squad were promoted and not added to significantly, I'd be less worried about simple relegation and more concerned with doing a Sunderland/ Derby. We would simply not score goals in the top flight.

:thup:

Guest palnese

As mentioned earlier in the thread.

Simpson was shocking

Colo always struggle with physical strikers. Poor marking on their second goal. Good with the ball.

Jonas was good tonight.

Guthrie is our main creative force.

Nolan.. fuck me.  Should be played as a second striker or not at all.

Loven. Deserved his goal. Brilliant header.

Shola - pfh

:thup:

Doesn't bear thinking about, honestly.

With that squad and that manager, we'd struggle to win a game, home or away, next year. Seriously.

So many players just not good enough it's untrue. Hughton either can't see the problems or is too inept/spineless to sort them out.

This fucking club...:hmm:

Fantastic game to watch, the neutrals must have loved it. Frustrating how easy it was for WBA to break from the back, too many players played shite tonight but everybody expected their central 3 to run rings around Smith and Nolan and that's exactly what happened.

Harper - Did ok, was unlucky with their 2nd goal where the rest of the team were snoozing

Simpson - Stood off Thomas all night, he didn't know what to do really, if he dived in he'd get skinned and if he stood off it invited pressure. Got minimal help from Guthrie

Enrique - Not one of his best evenings, lots of misplaced passes but gets an assist for Lovenkrands' goal.

Taylor - Solid for me, didn't do much wrong considering it was 7 on 4 a lot of the time.

Coloccini - Same as Taylor really

Nolan - Shite. Just lacks the athleticism to compete against younger, quicker players. Couldn't even lace the chance he had shortly after it went 2-2.

Smith - His poorest game for a while, passing was all over the place and was overran time and time again.

Guthrie - Great free kick, did ok in general play but not fantastic by any means.

Jonas - Usual, lots of running and working, no end ball. Must have been fouled 10+ times.

Lovenkrands - Looked lively, looking for flicks that never came from Shola, good header for the goal but Carson...dear me.

Shola - Shola of old tonight, was just shite. Opening 15 he looked a handful but once he didn't get one or two decisions he was more bothered about tussling with their centre half than getting the ball. Still can't time his jump for headers. Having just seen the highlights, couldn't be arsed to stick with Olsson. Just lazy.

Carroll - Won plenty, no direction.

R Taylor - Came on and thought "I'll show Simpson, I'll get straight into Thomas" and got skinned. Few decent set pieces though.

So a point gained in the end, although we could have nicked all 3. I can see why they're so good on the road, probably a bit like Villa in the respect that when they play at home it's harder to hit teams on the break. A lot of decent players in their side who can pass all day long, if they find a consistent formula at home then I'd back them all the way to go up. It's up to us to make sure we go with them.

And finally, stupid anecdote. Two lads turned up to sit in front of us 25 minutes into the game. The first thing they saw was Guthrie score the free kick. They then spent 20 minutes chanting, standing, clapping and generally being pissed that they weren't sitting in level 7. Then the female steward told them to sit down and they left, saying they won't be back. So they paid £25 each to watch 20 minutes of football. Nice one :lol:

GOONALDO

Apart from the free kick, what did he do? He proved to me tonight that he isnt a 90 minute player and your childish reference to Solano (who has more ability in his dick) is childish.

If Solano had only played half an hour tonight, he would probably have been more effective than Nolan and Guthrie put together.........................................and FITTER TOO.

Just a further note, did you notice how Guthrie was struggling to keep pace with the two WBA players as they broke down the left in the first minute of the second half to create the second goal? It was embarrassing.

just back.......it's probably already been mantioned about the ref. the most inept display of refereeing i've seen in a good long while. he allowed far too much scything from west brom in the first half  which led them to think they could get away with it all game. did he really tell us to hold on when their player who was off the pitch through his own fault recovered, then nolan should have been sent off for violent conduct........all missed as he lost control.

on to the game....an exciting game that showed up our midfield again (i'm starting to get really worried about this), lets face it we aren't dominating games, we aren't playing well, we are relying on our defence not to concede then the oppo to gift us something. how come they doubled up on jonas yet we didn't have the sense (both the staff and guthrie) to help simpson out ?

midfield is where all the problems are and and we ahve NOTHING to change it with.

What is worrying is that WBA are at the same level as a Premiership side who will be relegated, twice we have played them, and we have failed to beat them both times, and could easily of lost both games as much as we could of won both games.

Just back - and wondered whether it looked on the telly like Carroll was completely wiped out in the box late on. Looked a certain pen to me...

Aye looked a definite pen. Olsson cynically blocked him off. Ref was watching the ball though even though he was only 5 yards away and therefore didn't see it.

We might as well of played with 10 men tonight as Nolan was turboshite.

smith made 1 block, guthrie hit 1 free kick. nolan was just one of a bad bunch.

Thought Guthrie did ok tbh. Never gong to be brilliant as he is not a RW. Nolan was lucky not to get a red at the end n all for his needless hack. I agree about Smith but at least he looks matchfit unlike Nolan.