Wasted Talent

Guest firetotheworks

Guest firetotheworks

Jamie Burt - Might seem a strange one, and tbh I'm only adding it because of what I saw of him a long time ago. I went to an England U15 match when I was 10 against Brazil. The England team had Owen and Brown in it and Burt was easily the best player in my eyes, he was tipped to be incredible, but apparently went down the wrong avenue and stopped playing. From Wallsend too.

Guest firetotheworks

Pele (I know, but he didn't play in a European league)

You're having a laugh, players didn't move around much in those in those days because the pay was similar, was probably more in South American due to the maximum wage, a few English players moved to Columbia in the fifties/sixties for a better wage. So the best leagues were the ones who produced the best players which was clearly Brazil at the time.

I'll have to take your word for it because I wasn't around for it. Perhaps wasted because he wasn't in the right era then. But f*** it, you could have thousands of players that fit that.

I don't see how he wasted anything, he's considered the best player ever ffs.

Maradona for me. Like I said, I'll take your word for it, because I assumed that throughout Pele's era the European leagues were still the best.

Stan Bowles,Tony Currie,Alan Hudson

peter kelly.

Who and why?

stan bowles,tony currie and alan hudson were maverick style flair players, you could also throw jimmy smith and rodney marsh in there as players who had bucketfulls of talent but never had any consistency.

peter kelly was a young full back who was very good then got an, if i remember correctly, cruciate injury which at the time was career threatening, after months out came back, had a couple of games and damaged it again. he only played about 30 games for us but seemed a worthy successor to kennedy/nattrass in the full back roles.

tony green had a mention ?...........if not it's a thread shutter.

Shearer I’d say was someone who made the maximum out of limited talent. His mental strength and intelligent reading of the game allowed him to over-achieve.

Best has to be top of the list. He was the most talented footballer I ever saw, but gave up at the top level at the age of 26. I can’t think of another example of a player turning their back on so much ability.

Guest firetotheworks

Harper

Riquelme

Who was that player that played for Man Utd in the '80s and then knacked up his leg? He always gets a mention in things like this. I think he was Irish.

Shearer I’d say was someone who made the maximum out of limited talent. His mental strength and intelligent reading of the game allowed him to over-achieve.

Best has to be top of the list. He was the most talented footballer I ever saw, but gave up at the top level at the age of 26. I can’t think of another example of a player turning their back on so much ability.

Shearer also had great touch, passing, crossing, shooting and decent pace (before injury) - think he had most of the talent you need to be a world-class player.

It might have been achieved through a load of graft on the training ground, not sure if that makes a difference.

Guest firetotheworks

Am I right in thinking that Best fulfilled his very best though, and then turned his back on it? Stuff like that doesn't bother me tbh.

Gazza for me is the biggest one I can think of from my era.

Guest firetotheworks

Who was that player that played for Man Utd in the '80s and then knacked up his leg? He always gets a mention in things like this. I think he was Irish.

norman whiteside?

That's the one.  O0

Am I right in thinking that Best fulfilled his very best though, and then turned his back on it? Stuff like that doesn't bother me tbh.

Gazza for me is the biggest one I can think of from my era.

Became a piss head and chucked it all away as he was nearing his peak...26,i believe as someone stated earlier.