Wasted Talent

Guest firetotheworks

Even though he single handedly won the World Cup in '62 Garrincha has to be one of them. Far too stupid for his own good.

Read his biography,an unbelievably sad tale of one of the all time football greats.

He had several birth defects: his spine was deformed, his right leg bent inwards and his left leg six centimeters shorter and curved outwards, none of which impeded his ability to play football at the top level.

Recommend people read the wikipedia page, quite impressive yet very sad.

If you can ever get hold of the Ruy Castro book,i'd recommend it...truly astounding tale,that Wikipedia page really doesn't do Garrincha's life justice. O0

Giggs. I know he's won it all, several times over, but he had the ability to be the best player in the world. He never was, not sure he even got close.

Wasn't ever the best player at his own club, too inconstant. Not that you'd know it the way people go on now.

Even though he single handedly won the World Cup in '62 Garrincha has to be one of them. Far too stupid for his own good.

Read his biography,an unbelievably sad tale of one of the all time football greats.

He had several birth defects: his spine was deformed, his right leg bent inwards and his left leg six centimeters shorter and curved outwards, none of which impeded his ability to play football at the top level.

Recommend people read the wikipedia page, quite impressive yet very sad.

If you can ever get hold of the Ruy Castro book,i'd recommend it...truly astounding tale,that Wikipedia page really doesn't do Garrincha's life justice. O0

It's one of my favourite footballing books.

Guest Heneage

Jenas played under poor managers during his 'make or break' phase. But the raw materials certainly seemed to be there when he was 19 or 20.

Is what I would say.

Bobby  rarely picked a loser, he had all the physical attributes he just needed work on his mental game. That lack of work stopped him every progressing.

Paul Lake (former Man City player)  - Cruciate ligament trouble ended what looked a good career ahead.

Darren Caskey (former Spurs player) - Awesome junior player

Kevin Campbell (x-gunner & x-everton) - The next Ian Wright then in his late teens he had growth spurt & became very bulky & he had to change his game.

Shaun Murray (X-Newcastle junior) - Best young player in the country at the time but Spurs came along offered the family £10K & car (herd this from a family member). Never played for Spurs & his career did not take off. Harry Redknapp wrote in his book that how Spurs handled Murray is the reason he stopped Jamie going to Spurs at 16 & sent him to Liverpool, which pissed Venners right off.

Alvaro Recoba. Tijani Babangida. Gbenga Okunowo.

That isnt Samuel Okunowo is it?

I've got a relative who was involved in football and I remember him telling me about this lad. He watched him at some kind of youth tournament of some sort and he tells me to this day he remains the best 14/15/16 (not sure how old) year old footballer he has ever ever seen, he was absolutely convinced that this Okunowo fella would go down in history. Still occasionally mentions him, he said he was just stood there in absolute awe at this young lad and how amazing he was. He said he was tempted to remain another day where this tournament was being staged just to watch this kid.

It's quite bizzare how a player of such immense talent can go backwards. Looking at his wiki after bouncing around many different european clubs to little success he's now 30 year old and playing for Waltham forest in the 8th tier of English football, almost quite sad really. Did anything happen to him, such as an injury being the reason his career went pear shaped, im genuinely interested to know a little bit more about him now?

Still young but I can't ever see N'zgobia fulfilling his true talent. Terrible attitude, hasn't developed as you'd expect.

His next move will be key to his career, makes me chuckle when I read his last bit shit before leaving us:

N'Zogbia, 22, set the ball rolling by making it clear that he wanted to leave Tyneside.

"My agents are talking with Tottenham and Aston Villa," said N'Zogbia "I'm waiting to see what will happen.

"From what they have told me, Arsenal could also be in the frame, but there hasn't been a direct approach from them.

"I have a little preference for the Gunners but, whatever happens, they are three great and ambitious clubs. It's very flattering to see them interested in me.

"I've spoken to my bosses at the club. They know what my aims are and what I want to continue to progress.

"As soon as a big club knocks on the door with a good offer, I don't think they'll prevent me leaving.

"While waiting I'm continuing to train, without letting my head go down because I am above all a professional." N'Zogbia admitted seeing his friend Lassana Diarra move to Real Madrid made him restless.

"He's a player I've grown up with in football," N'Zogbia added. "When I see what he has done that gives me extra desire to set myself new targets, to do everything to have the same recognition.

"It's for that reason that I feel it's the right time to leave. In a career, you need titles and yet, at Newcastle, that's not possible.

"When I see certain friends playing in the Champions League or others like Lassana or Florent Sinama-Pongolle with the France team, it makes me drool. I say to myself: Why not me?"