Play-offs for fourth Premier League CL place?

OzzieMandias

It would be better to see fourth and fifth playing for the last champions league place. Although, that would render the fourth-fifth place battle over the whole season pretty meaningless. Id personally love to see some of the lesser teams in the CL. Would be much more interesting seeing Birmingham or Fulham taking on Barcelona than watching Chelsea or Man United, again in my opinion.

Guest Stephen927

I don't like this play-off idea. If you finish 4th then you deserve to be in the Champions League, thats the way it should be.

It would be better to see fourth and fifth playing for the last champions league place. Although, that would render the fourth-fifth place battle over the whole season pretty meaningless. Id personally love to see some of the lesser teams in the CL. Would be much more interesting seeing Birmingham or Fulham taking on Barcelona than watching Chelsea or Man United, again in my opinion.

Sure. Go ahead   :aww:

I don't like this play-off idea. If you finish 4th then you deserve to be in the Champions League, thats the way it should be.

since when?  3-4 years ago when uefa decided it'd make them more money?

pl seem to have decided this will make them more money, why trust one and not the other?

I know this is for the Premier League but can't say I like the idea of play-offs for anything. For example, I'd be gutted if we finished third this season and lost in the play-offs to the team that finished 6th. I don't see why it isn't just the top 3 that go up. Why did they come up with the idea of the play-offs in the first place?

£

Hardly, the playoffs have been around long before money was so prevalent in the game.

Real reason is to preserve interest in the league for a longer period of time - withthe playoffs most teams in the top 10 have something to play for right up until then end of the season.

To perserve interest.... so that people continue to attend the games and watch the broadcasts righth through to the end. It's plainly about money.

Guest Stephen927

:lol:

???

:lol:

???

It's a fucking farce anyway, I don't mind if they change the qualification rules. They change all the time as it is, doesn't change your league position, just makes qualifying for an arbitrary competition different.

Champions league should consist of League, League Cup and F.A. Cup champions. In the event that one club does the double/treble the finalists from that cup enter instead.

Great shout.

Top 2 in the league and both cup winners. Rebrand it the 'European Champions Cup' if necessary. Spots pass onto beaten finalists, unless they're also 1st or 2nd in the league, in which case, 3rd (then 4th) pick up the spot.

Previous competition winners (ala Liverpool 2005/06) automatically take one of the league spots if failing to qualify automatically through league or cup in the previous season.

UEFA Cup spots to 3rd, 4th and 5th (if not already QF as cup winners). Would shake things up massively and ensure that the top clubs have to put out genuinely strong sides in both cups and sides (say, for example, Liverpool) who have no hope of finishing in the top 2 would focus more on the cups as an 'easier' route into Europe's Premiere tournament.

2009/10 Qualifiers: Man Utd (Champions), Liverpool (2nd), Chelsea (FA Cup), Tottenham (League Cup - beaten finalists)

2008/09 Qualifiers: Man Utd (Champions), Chelsea (2nd), Portsmouth (FA Cup - beaten finalists), Tottenham (League Cup)

2007/08 Qualifiers: Man Utd (Champions), Chelsea (2nd), Liverpool (3rd*), Arsenal (League Cup - beaten finalists)

2006/07 Qualifiers: Chelsea (Champions), Man Utd (2nd), Liverpool (FA Cup), Wigan (League Cup - beaten finalists)

2005/06 Qualifiers: Chelsea (Champions), Arsenal (2nd), Man Utd (FA Cup - beaten finalists), Liverpool (League Cup - beaten finalists)

2004/05 Qualifiers: Arsenal (Champions), Chelsea (2nd), Man Utd (FA Cup), Middlesbrough (League Cup)

*FA Cup finalists both QF via league position

Not a massive change from the last 6 seasons but at least a little bit more exciting for the likes of 'burra, Wigan, Millwall, West Ham Utd, Cardiff(!) and Spurs.

Champions league should consist of League, League Cup and F.A. Cup champions. In the event that one club does the double/treble the finalists from that cup enter instead.

Great shout.

Top 2 in the league and both cup winners. Rebrand it the 'European Champions Cup' if necessary. Spots pass onto beaten finalists, unless they're also 1st or 2nd in the league, in which case, 3rd (then 4th) pick up the spot.

Previous competition winners (ala Liverpool 2005/06) automatically take one of the league spots if failing to qualify automatically through league or cup in the previous season.

UEFA Cup spots to 3rd, 4th and 5th (if not already QF as cup winners). Would shake things up massively and ensure that the top clubs have to put out genuinely strong sides in both cups and sides (say, for example, Liverpool) who have no hope of finishing in the top 2 would focus more on the cups as an 'easier' route into Europe's Premiere tournament.

2009/10 Qualifiers: Man Utd (Champions), Liverpool (2nd), Chelsea (FA Cup), Tottenham (League Cup - beaten finalists)

2008/09 Qualifiers: Man Utd (Champions), Chelsea (2nd), Portsmouth (FA Cup - beaten finalists), Tottenham (League Cup)

2007/08 Qualifiers: Man Utd (Champions), Chelsea (2nd), Liverpool (3rd*), Arsenal (League Cup - beaten finalists)

2006/07 Qualifiers: Chelsea (Champions), Man Utd (2nd), Liverpool (FA Cup), Wigan (League Cup - beaten finalists)

2005/06 Qualifiers: Chelsea (Champions), Arsenal (2nd), Man Utd (FA Cup - beaten finalists), Liverpool (League Cup - beaten finalists)

2004/05 Qualifiers: Arsenal (Champions), Chelsea (2nd), Man Utd (FA Cup), Middlesbrough (League Cup)

Not a massive change from the last 6 seasons but at least a little bit more exciting for the likes of 'burra, Wigan, Millwall, West Ham Utd, Cardiff(!) and Spurs.

so a team that performs well all season should be put aside for winners of a cup competition many teams don't even put full strength teams out for....................and thats just in this country.

Guest schmuck

Surely it doesn't too much of a leap in logic to see that teams wouldn't put out weakened teams if there was a CL spot available though. Personally I don't like any non-champions qualifying, all league, major domestic cup (eg FA Cup not League Cup) and European champions (UEFA and CL winners) across Europe would be my choice of entrants, if a team does a double or treble I'd give any vacant automatic spot to the next highest ranked nation's team in the qualifiers as opposed to a losing finalist. If UEFA absolutely must shoehorn in another 'top' nation's team, the playoffs could still be a genuinely exciting idea with say the top 6 ranked leagues having their 2nd to 5th placed teams playing off for the final spot, the winner then at least being a champion of sorts.

Surely it doesn't too much of a leap in logic to see that teams wouldn't put out weakened teams if there was a CL spot available though. Personally I don't like any non-champions qualifying, all league, major domestic cup (eg FA Cup not League Cup) and European champions (UEFA and CL winners) across Europe would be my choice of entrants, if a team does a double or treble I'd give any vacant automatic spot to the next highest ranked nation's team in the qualifiers as opposed to a losing finalist. If UEFA absolutely must shoehorn in another 'top' nation's team, the playoffs could still be a genuinely exciting idea with say the top 6 ranked leagues having their 2nd to 5th placed teams playing off for the final spot, the winner then at least being a champion of sorts.

why bother having a league  which is surely the only way to find out which teams are the best....cups don't do that, never have and never will as it's down to a handful of one off games and the luck of the draw.

Guest neesy111

their shouldn't be any play-off system, even in the championship, league 1 and league 2

the 3rd place team deserves to go up after 46 games, play-off games are just for money

Great shout.

so a team that performs well all season should be put aside for winners of a cup competition many teams don't even put full strength teams out for....................and thats just in this country.

Yeah, I must admit it would be a tad unfair for the finalists to get the spot, the  next best placed league position would be more appropriate. It should definately be the cup winners though plus one.

Great shout.

Yeah, I must admit it would be a tad unfair for the finalists to get the spot, the  next best placed league position would be more appropriate. It should definately be the cup winners though plus one.

so the cup winners who maybe get relegated are more worthy than a team who finish 3rd or 4th ?