REALITY CHECK: PREM FOOTBALL IS VERY DIFFERENT!!

buzza

What I am trying to say is that we have walked the league so far with a lot of luck as far as I am concerned, we have had many a game when we should have been beaten or at least drawn as we only played for spells. Our recent run of form excepted...

We are all probably expecting (my deluded self included) that we will be playing around lower mid table but relatively safe from relegation spots, I can't see it:

-Coloccini is playing well in the championship...

-Taylor is prone to errors, simpson is not the answer nor raylor

-Enrique is prem material.

-Smith, Butt, Nolan, Guthrie, Pancrate are all championship standard

-Jonas is King...Long live the King!

-Caroll, Lovenkrands, Shola, Best....Any of em' guarantee 15 goals? even 10?

As it says...Reality Check.

P.S. Sorry if it's a bit obvious and we're all on a high after beating  Barnsley 6-1 :)

It never hurts to post stuff that's down to earth.  :thup:

Guest icemanblue

What I am trying to say is that we have walked the league so far with a lot of luck as far as I am concerned, we have had many a game when we should have been beaten or at least drawn as we only played for spells. Our recent run of form excepted...

We are all probably expecting (my deluded self included) that we will be playing around lower mid table but relatively safe from relegation spots, I can't see it:

-Coloccini is playing well in the championship...

-Taylor is prone to errors, simpson is not the answer nor raylor

-Enrique is prem material.

-Smith, Butt, Nolan, Guthrie, Pancrate are all championship standard

-Jonas is King...Long live the King!

-Caroll, Lovenkrands, Shola, Best....Any of em' guarantee 15 goals? even 10?

As it says...Reality Check.

P.S. Sorry if it's a bit obvious and we're all on a high after beating  Barnsley 6-1 :)

:lol: You made this thread for yourself, didn't you?

If we are promoted and don't strengthen significantly we will do well to get 15 points. But don't worry lads, fat ash knows what he's doing.

I'm pretty sure you were predicting we'd struggle this season as well mind. Oh well...better luck next season.

Yes, I did predict that.

What do you mean by better luck next season? Oh well...I'm not surprised some want the club relegated. Sad to see, tbh.

Some do sadly

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,68029.msg2228613.html#msg2228613

Simon Bird mentioned Shearer's comment in the Mirror and he has a very valid point; "Wolves scored for fun in the championship last season (80) and have only managed 20 from 28 games this season".

We have to be realistic, we have only come up against good opposition twice this season (Forest & WBA) and they both gave us a good lesson in how to play passing football. I have only been to 4 games at st james this season and have seen a few on live streaming but the one thing that sticks is the crap level of football played in the championship, carefull with what we pray for next season, mid table mediocrity would be fine for me....

We certainly won't be able to play well for 15 minutes and win a game on the back of that when we go up.

First priority is a top striker and some central midfielders.

Absolute rubbish the Premeir League will be an absolute breeze, it's not like there's much quality up there. Forest just pack the box for the entire match and West Brom were luckly to escape with a point.

We should be pushing for Europe at least.

Guest Matticus

I can actually see something ridiculous happening like being top of the table after two games and having to convince everyone we don't think we're going to be challenging for Europe.

:lol: so true

As big of a step up as the Prem is, this season has shown me there's plenty of shit in the bottom half.

I'd honestly fancy our chances against the likes of Wigan and Hull. Obviously Man Utd would batter us left right and centre.

Guest Roger Kint

To be fair we conceded 11 to Man Utd the season we finished 3rd under Robson, not like we ever had a great record with them in the Prem ;D

Guest Brummiemag

If we are promoted and don't strengthen significantly we will do well to get 15 points. But don't worry lads, fat ash knows what he's doing.

I'm pretty sure you were predicting we'd struggle this season as well mind. Oh well...better luck next season.

Yes, I did predict that.

What do you mean by better luck next season? Oh well...I'm not surprised some want the club relegated. Sad to see, tbh.

Some do sadly

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,68029.msg2228613.html#msg2228613

You can Fuckoff,  thats not what I said - I dont want to end up like Bolton thats all. I want us to stop up but I want us to play football.

Don't try to be clever and twist what I said.   

Guest Roger Kint

You can Fuckoff,  thats not what I said - I dont want to end up like Bolton thats all. I want us to stop up but I want us to play football.

So as we have played pretty grim football most of this season would you prefer to stay in this league instead of what we have witnessed? Or is it selective your stance on 'playing football'?

tbh, I couldnt care less what Football we play. At the end of the day its winning what counts, and if playing long ball, anti football is what it takes then so be it. I'd sure as hell rather be playing like Bolton when they finished 7th than get relegated playing nice attractive football like West Brom and Norwich did. I tend to look at it this way; we come up against a side, play some cracking football, but get beat 4-3, I wont come away from SJP happy that we played some nice stuff, I'll be as disappointed as ever, whereas if we won 1-0 while playing hoof ball tactics I'll be happy as larry, no matter what brand of football we played.

Guest Stephen927

tbh, I couldnt care less what Football we play. At the end of the day its winning what counts, and if playing long ball, anti football is what it takes then so be it. I'd sure as hell rather be playing like Bolton when they finished 7th than get relegated playing nice attractive football like West Brom and Norwich did. I tend to look at it this way; we come up against a side, play some cracking football, but get beat 4-3, I wont come away from SJP happy that we played some nice stuff, I'll be as disappointed as ever, whereas if we won 1-0 while playing hoof ball tactics I'll be happy as larry, no matter what brand of football we played.

The key thing is that the long ball tactic then has to progress into something more attractive to watch once we're established in the league. Bolton have been playing long ball, defensive football for years, the fans grow tired of it eventually. Agree with what you say.

Guest Brummiemag

So as we have played pretty grim football most of this season would you prefer to stay in this league instead of what we have witnessed? Or is it selective your stance on 'playing football'?

I want to see us try and play good football and then see what happens. We could have stuck with Fat Sam and probably stayed up playing shite football but its not what myself and a lot of other Newcastle fans wanted. 

I don't want to see Newcastle play grim survival type defensive football for any length of time. For me its not what Newcastle are about. You may not agree with me but don't think I'm disloyal or try to imply it like the twat in the previous post did. 

I want to see us try and play good football and then see what happens. We could have stuck with Fat Sam and probably stayed up playing s**** football but its not what myself and a lot of other Newcastle fans wanted.   

I don't want to see Newcastle play grim survival type defensive football for any length of time. For me its not what Newcastle are about. You may not agree with me but don't think I'm disloyal or try to imply it like the t*** in the previous post did. 

Is it actually possible to come up and stay up without playing this grim survival type football though?  I cant think of many teams that have, Norwich and West Brom both stick out as two sides that played good football yet went down. Wigan play some decent stuff at times and are struggling more so than they did under Hoofball Bruce.  Surviving has to be the prime objective, whatever the style of football. Once we get a firm footing in the league then maybe we'll think about playing more attractive football.

Guest icemanblue

And you said I pointed out the obviouse.

I doubt anyone said that, mate.

A mod put it under my name.  :laugh:

My joke was obvious.

Guest guinness_fiend

Simon Bird mentioned Shearer's comment in the Mirror and he has a very valid point; "Wolves scored for fun in the championship last season (80) and have only managed 20 from 28 games this season".

We have to be realistic, we have only come up against good opposition twice this season (Forest & WBA) and they both gave us a good lesson in how to play passing football. I have only been to 4 games at st james this season and have seen a few on live streaming but the one thing that sticks is the crap level of football played in the championship, carefull with what we pray for next season, mid table mediocrity would be fine for me....

We certainly won't be able to play well for 15 minutes and win a game on the back of that when we go up.

First priority is a top striker and some central midfielders.

http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/fail-owned-pizza-hut-has-pizza-obvious-fail.jpg

He has a point to be fair. Too many people on here have been carried away in recent weeks after the good results, talking about CL ambitions next season. We won't be in the CL till 2011/12 you silly billies, we have to qualify first!! Let's not count our chickens before the hens have given birth to them!!!

Also, we're only a top striker and two, maybe three central midfielders away from being a title challenging team. Let's go sign them before we open our mouths!!!

Finally, a

Statistically the Premiership is quite a bit worse than the Championship. 

When I added up the points accumulated for all of the teams in each of the leagues so far this season I found that the Championship teams have a combined total of 1112 points while the Premiership teams only have 770.

I think that blows a lot of myths out of the water.