Realistic Expectations For Next Season.

Crumpy Gunt
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If there are no major additions to the squad, we will struggle to stay out of trouble.

If we sign a pacey striker and midfielder with vision & pace we could finish mid-table.

IF we sign 3/4 top class players we could possibly aim for top 8.

The players I would keep as a basis for a Prem side are Harper,Krul, Enrique, Coloccini(holding my breath remembering how he struggled against quick Prem strikers last time), Kadar, S.Taylor(although I think he will be sold),Guthrie, Routledge, Jonas and Carroll ; some of these would be back-up and I reckon we need at least 3 new players. Nolan and Barton will be kept but I wouldn't rely on either as permanent first-teamers in the Prem.

Believe it or not, I wouldn't mind having Kuyt from Liverpool - he has a good attitude is skillful and is a good pro to have alongside Carroll although there is a question about his pace.

There may well be a couple of players we could get from the scousers because I reckon there will be big changes afoot there in the close season.

All of this is day-dreaming until promotion is assured - many a slip between cup and lip.....

If there are no major additions to the squad, we will struggle to stay out of trouble.

If we sign a pacey striker and midfielder with vision & pace we could finish mid-table.

The players I would keep as a basis for a Prem side are Harper,Krul, Enrique, Coloccini(holding my breath remembering how he struggled against quick Prem strikers last time), Kadar, S.Taylor(although I think he will be sold),Guthrie, Routledge, Jonas and Carroll ; some of these would be back-up and I reckon we need at least 3 new players. Nolan and Barton will be kept but I wouldn't rely on either as permanent first-teamers in the Prem.

Believe it or not, I wouldn't mind having Kuyt from Liverpool - he has a good attitude is skillful and is a good pro to have alongside Carroll although there is a question about his pace.

There may well be a couple of players we could get from the scousers because I reckon there will be big changes afoot there in the close season.

All of this is day-dreaming until promotion is assured - many a slip between cup and lip.....

You've missed Lovenkrands from your list - unless this was intentional?

Kuyt's a hard worker, but he isn't good enough to be play upfront at Premiership level - that's why Rafa has shipped it out on the right.  He's awful there too.

Going for AAAARGHHHHH Not again! as things currently stand.  The squad is still painfully thin in numbers, we're losing a number of players at the endof thier loan and the centre of midfield is fucking horrendous, but won't be upgraded because the concensus at the club seems to be that Nolan and Smith are top class.  They're not.  That central midfield will take us down again.  To top that off we haven't really got a good manager and he won't get replaced until it's too late.

We're currently top of a very shit league due to our home form - our away record, and overall play away from home is still shit - and we can't rely on home form in the top league to keep us up as we found out last year.

We have one player on loan.  I wouldn't say we're so much low on numbers either, just low on quality.  We need to replace the likes of Nolan, Smith, Ameobi, Butt, Pancrate ect with better and I wouldn't make any assumptions at this point that Hughton believes any of those are good enough for next season just because they're important this season.

Also 31 points out of a possible 57 away from home isn't shit in the slightest.

As long as we don't get suicidal when we lose at home to struggling teams. Realistically, we'll only be winning 8 or 9 home games next season at a push, so people are going to have to accept there'll be a lot of disappointing games.

If we are only going to win 8 or 9 games, we cannot afford to lose to struggling teams.

We have to aim to win all home games against ALL teams exc top 4 ; we WON'T win them all, but even Joe Harvey's teams of mid-late 60s made SJP a difficult venue for visiting sides.

Investment in the team is vital, and a club of Newcastle's size should NOT be entering a Prem season expecting a relegation battle. I certainly don't expect a repeat of KK's 93/94 side's excellent showing after promotion, but aiming high is essential otherwise the club WILL struggle.

Guest firetotheworks

We'll either struggle and get relegated/survive, or with the right investment do a Birmingham/Wigan/Reading and finish lower mid-table.

Also our away record isn't s*** in the slightest.

Our away record in the PL, has been sh** for a while.

Win/Draw/Loss

09 - 2/6/11

08 - 3/5/11

07 - 4/3/12

06 - 6/2/11

05 - 3/7/9

04 - 2/12/5

03 - 6/4/9

02 - 9/5/5

Also our away record isn't s*** in the slightest.

Our away record in the PL, has been sh** for a while.

Win/Draw/Loss

09 - 2/6/11

08 - 3/5/11

07 - 4/3/12

06 - 6/2/11

05 - 3/7/9

04 - 2/12/5

03 - 6/4/9

02 - 9/5/5

He was talking about our away record in the Championship.  Obviously I expect next season our away form will be nowhere near as good as this season.

Kuyt's a hard worker, but he isn't good enough to be play upfront at Premiership level - that's why Rafa has shipped it out on the right.  He's awful there too.

If you think Kuyt is awful, just wait until you see the likes of Lovenkrands in the Prem - I missed him out on purpose because I don't consider him good enough for the Prem. KK let David Kelly go after we won promotion despite him being the club's top scorer because he didn't think Kelly was good enough for the Prem - and believe me, Kelly was a better player than Lovenkrands and was younger too.

People thought John Tudor was 'awful' playing alongside Supermac, but Macdonald appreciated the space Tudor created for him by his selfless running ; Kuyt is a similar player, but more skillful - his goals record with Liverpool averages at 1 per 3 matches over 4 seasons - are you saying that Lovenkrands will do that in the Prem? And, as for Rafa not playing him up front, it seems to me that Rafa's judgment is being questioned by a number of Liverpool players right now - don't expect him to be there next season...!

That is also the reason why I think Kuyt could be bought - he has been there 4 years, there are going to be changes and players like a new challenge..he is also approaching 30, so the fee wouldn't be too high for Ashley..!!

No transfers and we'll come back down

3 or 4 astute transfers and we should be stay up.

Could do with WHU going down instead of Hull/Burnley as much as it sickens me to say.

If you think Kuyt is awful, just wait until you see the likes of Lovenkrands in the Prem - I missed him out on purpose because I don't consider him good enough for the Prem. KK let David Kelly go after we won promotion despite him being the club's top scorer because he didn't think Kelly was good enough for the Prem

We've all seen him play in the Premiership and he's easily good enough as backup.  He's much better equiped for the league then Carroll at the moment IMO.

If you think Kuyt is awful, just wait until you see the likes of Lovenkrands in the Prem - I missed him out on purpose because I don't consider him good enough for the Prem. KK let David Kelly go after we won promotion despite him being the club's top scorer because he didn't think Kelly was good enough for the Prem - and believe me, Kelly was a better player than Lovenkrands and was younger too.

People thought John Tudor was 'awful' playing alongside Supermac, but Macdonald appreciated the space Tudor created for him by his selfless running ; Kuyt is a similar player, but more skillful - his goals record with Liverpool averages at 1 per 3 matches over 4 seasons - are you saying that Lovenkrands will do that in the Prem? And, as for Rafa not playing him up front, it seems to me that Rafa's judgment is being questioned by a number of Liverpool players right now - don't expect him to be there next season...!

That is also the reason why I think Kuyt could be bought - he has been there 4 years, there are going to be changes and players like a new challenge..he is also approaching 30, so the fee wouldn't be too high for Ashley..!!

Lovenkrands won't give us that return back of course, he's in an inferior team with inferior players.  However, I'd rather take Lovenkrands than Kuyt.  He didn't do enough a couple of seasons ago, but that was a in a team full of overpaid misfits who didn't play as a team. 

Kuyt's been tried and tested upfront, but has been proven not to be good enough.

If Wolves go down, I'd go for Kevin Doyle.

We've all seen him play in the Premiership, he played 8 games last season you know :D

...and what did he do? Do you see something in him that Schalke didn't ? German clubs rarely make mistakes when giving players free transfers or deciding they are surplus to requirements..

He is not going to get any better at his age, so I would be interested in your view as to whether you think he will score 15 goals next season ?

Guest firetotheworks

We've all seen him play in the Premiership, he played 8 games last season you know :D

...and what did he do? Do you see something in him that Schalke didn't ? German clubs rarely make mistakes when giving players free transfers or deciding they are surplus to requirements..

He is not going to get any better at his age, so I would be interested in your view as to whether you think he will score 15 goals next season ?

Since when do squad players score 15 goals a season? Last season he was decent when up front. Certainly good enough for a PL squad.

I know it wont be easy if we go back up but some people on here assume that the prem is full of top teams, there are some complete dogends in the prem.

Add a few players to the sqaud we have and i think we'll do ok.  The big difference I think is the players are now focused and dont give in as easily...like our relegation season.  i think the days of chucking the towel in are over.

He scored 3 goals in 8 games.  Not bothered what happened at Schalke, because that's nothing to do with Newcastle United.  I prefer to watch the player and judge him on his performances.  He was decent in the 8 games he played last season in the Premiership in difficult circumstances, so there's no reason I can see that he shouldn't be kept on as backup next season, and no of course I don't expect a backup player to score 15 goals.

Guest fraser

He scored 3 goals in 8 games.  Not bothered what happened at Schalke, because that's nothing to do with Newcastle United.  I prefer to watch the player and judge him on his performances.  He was decent in the 8 games he played last season in the Premiership in difficult circumstances, so there's no reason I can see that he shouldn't be kept on as backup next season, and no of course I don't expect a backup player to score 15 goals.

And tbf hadn't played competitively for some time before he arrived if I remember correctly. He was also played out wide, which is not his best position. That ought to be taken into account when assessing him for last season at least. I think that he can do us a job.

Gone with the majority here, 13-17th. I'd be more than happy with 17th mind.

With 3 or 4 top level players I think we could stay up relatively comfortably (by say 5 or 6 points) but it all depends who we can get in. I do believe this set of players would take us straight back down like, it worries me that over 4 attempts we haven't beaten West Brom this season, the only other team that looks like it could put up any kind of fight in the Prem.

..So if you consider him a back-up player, then who do you think that NUFC are going to be able to get to go up front better than Kuyt ? There's a hint of unrealism about this because a) you consider Lovenkrands, a player older than Kuyt, to be a better bet in the Prem despite the fact he has played only 8 games there and Kuyt has played 4 seasons with a consistent scoring record ; also, you say you are not bothered about what happened at Schalke - a bit arrogant, don't you think ? Schalke are a better supported club than Newcastle United in Germany and are more respected in European football than NUFC...perhaps if Allardyce had been MORE bothered about what happened at Man City with Barton, we wouldn't have ended up with a player who has been a constant liability and cost us a fortune in wasted wages etc.

Lovenkrands would not have reached the age of 30 and be playing for a CCC club after being given a Free from the only major club(unless you consider Rangers a top club) he has played for, unless he lacks something at the top level - and that is where NUFC should be aiming. I notice you didn't address my point about David Kelly, and that DID happen at NUFC and is more relevant to the current situation author=fraser link=topic=68253.msg2253973#msg2253973 date=1269437174]

And tbf hadn't played competitively for some time before he arrived if I remember correctly. He was also played out wide, which is not his best position. That ought to be taken into account when assessing him for last season at least. I think that he can do us a job.

Guest sittingontheball

I suppose 14th or so would be good, but if we don't seriously bolster the midfield, 17th would be an achievement.

Aside from staying up, my main wish is that we can avoid most of those total cave-ins we saw in our last few seasons in the Prem. I don't mind losing to the top teams, but conceding all those goals to Liverpool at home without Torres was just humiliating. In one of the ManUre games, we conceded four in the last ten minutes. Again, I guess the way to stop it would be to have a functioning midfield. It scares me seeing Nolan winning that award because it means he probably won't be replaced.