Realistic Expectations For Next Season.

Crumpy Gunt
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

17th will do me, like it or not this season we have been a CCC team and if and when we go up we will just be another promoted team trying to survive, if we do better then that and manager around mid table or not far off it then thats a bonus, but right now I'd be happy with 17th.

Pretty impossible to predict tbh. You've had teams like Sunderland, Ipswich and Reading come up and do very well in their first season. Then you've had teams cruise the championship and go down with a whimper such as Sunderland and WBA.

If Ashley gives Hughton a bit to spend and backs him fully, then I'd expect us to stay up. If We go through the summer and start the season with very few improvements then I reallu couldnt see us staying up.

Net spends often a strange way to judge though. We could get £12m or whatever for Barton, Smith & Shola, and sign three better players for a similar amount.

:lol:

I don't even know where to start with that.

I know net spend isn't the whole story. But a decent level of commitment in the form of investment needs to happen if the club is to have a decent chance at ensuring survival.

Hughton needs to be backed or we're fucked before we start.

Guest malandro

At the risks of stating the obvious it’s not just how much money is spent, but how it’s spent. Two or three quality players should ensure we stay up, but if Hughton does a Roy Keane and brings in lots of mediocre players it’ll be in the lap of the gods. I say this because if the wage cap stuff is true buying mediocre players will be all he can do.

We shouldn’t have been relegated last season. The squad was good enough to stay up and it was four managers in one season that did the damage. This season’s squad is weaker but still good enough to compete with the rest of the PL dross. The problem will be what happens we when start losing games and confidence drops, will Hughton have the ability to turn things round?

Bottom half next season, and for the foreseeable future.

Guest HGB1892

We have a poor PL team but one just capable of surviving. The bottom 3rd of the PL as absolutely gash i reckon we'd finish 6th bottom.

I really cant decide. We might have a first season like Reading or Wigan. More likely though, we'll be in a relgation scrap. I reckon with a reasonably good transfer window, finishing 12-14th isnt impossible. I think its vital we keep Hughton, seeing as our failure was attributed in no small part to the managerial merry-go-round. Hughton now knows the squad better than anyone else, has got the work rate and has shown the character to drop some players and made some good buys.

Guest palnese

we should have around 30M to spend imo, but do you trust hughton with that after seeing leon best play

What about Lovenkrands, Routledge, Williamson, Hall and van Aanholt?

All very good signings.

Guest neesy111

we should have around 30M to spend imo, but do you trust hughton with that after seeing leon best play

What about Lovenkrands, Routledge, Williamson, Hall and van Aanholt?

All very good signings.

easy to sign decent players when top of league

We'll have nothing like that to spend, I doubt we'll have a third of your guess, if that.

Guest malandro

Unless get docked points for some kind of Swindon style financial irregularities, we’re up. The only other thing that could go wrong would be Barton coming back and disrupting the dressing room.