MLS 2010

Kaizero

Guest Heneage

Yeah name escapes me but I know him more from his Championship work for Sky normally does the 5;15 Saturday kick off. Has been really good.

:frantic: :frantic:

Hope Kaz is here, he'll finally have a few people to talk to in this thread.

Doesn't look like it reading the thread now. :lol: My iPhone battery died before the match and I couldn't be arsed getting out of my comfy chair to get the charger just to talk to myself again. :blush:

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

The only moment of any real class was the goal.  A lot of really stupid mistakes and trying to force it.

:thup:

Aye, just finished watching it, that's all I saw too.  :lol: Shame like, was hoping it'd be great, but it sort of summed up the state of MLS at the moment pretty well.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I'm all for expanded the MLS, but its expanded too fast to maintain any real quality in the talent pool. Said it before, but anyone team can have a player good enough for the Premier League, and their worst player just good enough for English League 2 (at best) - too much of a stretch.

What puts me off the MLS is how random the finals are. Dallas and Rapids? Not by any long shot the best teams in the league.

Romance of the Cup - FA Cup.

I'm all for expanded the MLS, but its expanded too fast to maintain any real quality in the talent pool. Said it before, but anyone team can have a player good enough for the Premier League, and their worst player just good enough for English League 2 (at best) - too much of a stretch.

What puts me off the MLS is how random the finals are. Dallas and Rapids? Not by any long shot the best teams in the league.

Romance of the Cup - FA Cup.

It's interesting when it's a break from the main competition, thus romance, but it's just too random when it's the main trophy, devalues it.

Watched last nights game to cheer on FCD - I thought that Rapids were the dominant team over most of the match, although FCD played well in patches (and especialy the last 5 mins).  Rapids forward Casey was a playing Bulldog in a china shop.....was excellent.

I thought the referee had a terrible game - he seemed to have decided that he wasn;t going to get involved in anything outside of a class II homicide.  How a player can block a free kick from less than 2 yards away and only get a warning is beyond me....seems like that would have been an easy card.

The Penalty for the Rapids - looked like one initially, but the replay from the goal line showed that Casy took a dive...watch his free leg do a motion to similate being tripped when there was no contact at all. I'd like to think the referees got that right, but in actuality they just bottled that call along with many others.

Still wierd how the championship featured two Western Conference teams and how the supposed Eastern Conference Champions were from the Western Conference.

But I liked the news coming from the Commish about playing a true balanced schedule of home/away games.

Not sure if I want MLS to play the worlds calendar (Sep-May) or continue to play their "off" calendar and play during the summer when it's nice to watch a game during the summer evenings.

So with FCD and Texas Ranger making it to the finals but loosing, does this mean that Dallas Stars will make the Stanley Cup finals too?  (hahah no chance for the Dallas Cowboys)

Is Steve Zakuani any good?

He's coming on trial at Everton for a few days

Watched a few Seattle games. He's quick and can dribble, finish and pass well enough. Not sure if he would make an impact at a premiership club though.

Can anyone say how Jamie Smith played last night, saw his assist.  :smitten:

Americans on here.

Do you like the playoff system or would you rather a straight up league table?

Play-Offs vs Regular Season?? - it's just the way it is in US sports.  Football doesn't play a balanced schedule, neither does Hockey. Not sure about Baseball or Basketball but I don't think they do. So if you don't play balanced schedule in the regular season then it's not as accurate in predicting the best team.

The regular season is rather deminished in terms of importance by the playoffs, and other than seeding issues and home field advantage within the playoffs, it doesn't really matter if you finish 1st 2nd or 3rd as long as you make the playoffs.

Perhaps the interesting issue is how many games should each round of the playoffs be?  NFL aside, NHL, NBA and MLS are all best of 7 (maybe best of 5 for early rounds). 

Does this system produce the truely best team? Probably more so than a single game winner-takes-all.

Americans on here.

Do you like the playoff system or would you rather a straight up league table?

Without meaningful continental competitions to qualify for, or a relegation battle, I can see it being a bore.

Good point VI - perhaps the closed-league/franchise issue is the reason why playoffs are more meaningful than regular season. Without anything else to play for (eg Champions/Europa league) what else is there to play for outside of the top 4 (or often 2 teams).