MLS 2010

Kaizero

It was either them or DC v Houston, and Geovanni appealed. $60 for top tickets, mine is $30 which is crazy imo.

Tourist price, imo. You can get tickets (or at least you could two years ago) for essentially nothing, It's the kind of thing you should have waited to do once you got there, imo.

My US cousin has an entire collection of things autographed by some MetroStar player named Mamadou Diallo, so I think they are pretty good about letting you interact with the players. This was some time ago, I think though.

I watched DC v LA last night, they actually look ok DC, I'm hoping to see Geovanni roll back the years.

Thanks for all tips and advice folks.  :thup:

MLS has been such a mixed bag so far this year. No idea why.

It's really weird because there is such little real talent in the league that there is so much parity amongst the squads.  It really just depends on the day, you could either lose 2-0 or beat the same team 3-2.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

MLS has been such a mixed bag so far this year. No idea why.

It's really weird because there is such little real talent in the league that there is so much parity amongst the squads.  It really just depends on the day, you could either lose 2-0 or beat the same team 3-2.

Aye.

Think the expansion teams have been coming too fast and really diluted the talent across the league. Though I guess it'll help in the long run, and part of the appeal of MLS for me at the moment is I have no idea who will win. Also teams go for it. There's no 'fear' football you see in the Premiership where teams play behind the ball and hope they don't lose by 5 goals. Where as MLS teams just go for it.

TBH supporting T'Union > supporting most other teams, because they're brand new it doesn't feel as arbitrary and feels like I've joined at the start so I can't be looked at as anything other than a proper fan!

+ their team is geet young and they haven't just spunked a load of money on an ageing superstar

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I had half picked Fire, but I just enjoy watching the games (as I mentioned you have no idea who will win). It almost reminds me early doors Premiership when teams didn't have (so much) a reputation. Sort of a naive football where teams are direct, full throttle and the little bit of talent stands out like a sore thumb.

My big problem with the MLS is the way the game is played, it's very forceful.  It's really just the way that "soccer" is coached over here from a very young age.  Lots of long balls and trying to make the glory passes that aren't really on.  Football is a game of possession but that seems to go out the door at MLS matches - it's always very back and forth where no team really retains any possession. 

Thought I might put this in here but my team the Portland Timbers (expansion team next season!) got a winner in stoppage time last night in Puerto Rico (on what has to be the worst pitch I've seen in quite some time) with a class goal.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=157685394257997&ref=mf (see if that link works!)

Was the dude's debut as well, youngest player to ever play for the Timbers.

This also brings up another downside to MLS and top-flight football in America - the commentators. Absolutely horrendous (especially on non-televised feeds like this one).

http://pgepark.io-media.com/

Love this kind of technology.

Pretty tidy stadium that.

Yeah they are in the process of turning it from a baseball stadium into a soccer stadium as we speak.  Looks like it will be just the right size and it's cool too because it's below street level so you can look into the stadium from the road, behind the East Stand.  It also happens to be right in the middle of the city unlike a lot of new MLS stadiums that are built on the outskirts.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Yeah they are in the process of turning it from a baseball stadium into a soccer stadium as we speak.  Looks like it will be just the right size and it's cool too because it's below street level so you can look into the stadium from the road, behind the East Stand.  It also happens to be right in the middle of the city unlike a lot of new MLS stadiums that are built on the outskirts.

Fast wanting to support Portland!

Yeah they are in the process of turning it from a baseball stadium into a soccer stadium as we speak. Looks like it will be just the right size and it's cool too because it's below street level so you can look into the stadium from the road, behind the East Stand. It also happens to be right in the middle of the city unlike a lot of new MLS stadiums that are built on the outskirts.

Fast wanting to support Portland!

As far as I know it's the oldest continually run soccer organization in the country.

http://www.timbersarmy.org/ is the big supporter's group.  (they also have awesome beer glasses for sale)

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

My TV is like a TARDIS man, it can take me anywhere! Besides there's a few Soccer Camps in the North West (as well as North East), sure one of those will be in or around the Portland area.

My TV is like a TARDIS man, it can take me anywhere! Besides there's a few Soccer Camps in the North West (as well as North East), sure one of those will be in or around the Portland area.

Nee chance you'll go that far. Stop trying to be crazy cool and pick an East coast team. New England or something.