Sunderland...

Heron

Guest Heneage

Didn't someone on RTG reckon that Danny Welbeck is miles better than Ben Arfa?

I would rather have Welbeck than Ben Afra on the footage I have seen this season and I'm not having a pop at Arfa as I haven't seen a great deal of him to make an accurate assessment but Welbeck is going to be a top player.

I've seen Ben Arfa twice when Newcastle have been on the box,once was a Sunday afternoon game and he got took off early in second half(can't remember who it was against) and in all honesty thought he was very average and the other game was Man City when he got injured so obviously can't judge him on that.

Did you not catch the highlights of Everton? Have you not seen any other footage of him?

Welbeck has looked good this season. Ben Arfa has looked outstanding over a smaller number of games. Ben Arfa has the potential to be an outstanding player, but is a risk. I'd definately rather have HBA but I can understand Wearside's perspective.

Guest Wearside

Didn't someone on RTG reckon that Danny Welbeck is miles better than Ben Arfa?

So you can't judge your attendances or Andy Carroll on half a season, yet you can judge Ben Arfa on one half?! Hmmm...

I can judge Carroll as he has played a lot more games and his scoring record this season speaks for itself.

How many good games has Arfa had for Newcastle?

One maybe?

Don't think I'd be hailing someone as the best thing since sliced bread on the back of one good game.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Did one good game get him 34 champions league appearances, 5 league titles and two cups? Or 8 caps for France where in his last two games he scored?

Plus he was quite good against Blackpool, amazing at Everton, Stoke nullified everyone and he had a good 3 minutes against Man City.

Guest Wearside

Does Ben Arfa's career pre-Newcastle mean nothing then?

Other than Spanish football I very rarely watch foreign football and certainly French football would be way down on my list of priorities.

Listen I'm not saying Arfa is not a good player,merely saying on what I have seen this season Welbeck has had far more of an impact than Arfa(and yes I do realise it may have been different if he had been fit but that's just guesswork)

Other than Spanish football I very rarely watch foreign football and certainly French football would be way down on my list of priorities.

Listen I'm not saying Arfa is not a good player,merely saying on what I have seen this season Welbeck has had far more of an impact than Arfa(and yes I do realise it may have been different if he had been fit but that's just guesswork)

Ben Arfa.

Can't really be argued with. I'm intrigued to see how HBA performs week in week out in this league, because the glimpses of what I've seen have been of a player who has ample quality to make a significant impact.

After the derby I seem to remember Sunderland fans lambasting Welbeck and describing him as shitter than shit  :pow:

I've only watched C.Ronaldo against Barca this season whereas I've seen Jonas successfully make atleast 3 passes this season so I'd prefer him what I've seen, is your logic. Brilliant.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Welbeck.  :lol:

Ho'way, you lot were ready to carry him back to Manchester before he started to score.

I can see the logic there yes, but I would have assumed most would know him from reputation alone. He's a young player, quite a big name with a lot of champions league experience and had he been going to your lot from Marsielle I guarantee that your fans would be furiously knocking one out at the prospect, to a man/woman.

Welbeck has looked good this season. Ben Arfa has looked outstanding over a smaller number of games. Ben Arfa has the potential to be an outstanding player, but is a risk. I'd definately rather have HBA but I can understand Wearside's perspective.

:thup:

Guest Wearside

Ho'way, you lot were ready to carry him back to Manchester before he started to score.

He was playing left midfield in a 451 system and then Bent got injured and Bruce was forced to play him in his best position and the rest they say is history.

Ferguson has already said he will be back at Man Utd next season and I think Fergie knows more about a player than me or you.

When i read Smb, its like they are talking about some really good football side- yet everytime Ive watched Sunderland they have been uttter shite- especially 5-1.

:mystery:

They've improved post-derby IMO. Not particularly great to watch but it's an improvement as some of the stuff earlier in the season; in fact, the stuff in the 5-1, was utterly turgid. Hoof it to Bent! But now Welbeck and Gyan are there to take the weight off Bent, they've improved a bit - something I believe a few people on here actually predicted when Bent was injured for a little while. And I certainly didn't.

I thought Ben Arfa was crap and ineffective against stoke at home.  Then his leg was broken.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

He was playing left midfield in a 451 system and then Bent got injured and Bruce was forced to play him in his best position and the rest they say is history.

Ferguson has already said he will be back at Man Utd next season and I think Fergie knows more about a player than me or you.

Be very surprised if he became a mainstay Man U player, if he does, it'd only highlight the decline in quality throughout the Man U squad.

I thought Ben Arfa was crap and ineffective against stoke at home.  Then his leg was broken.

In a very short period of time he's shown some moments of excellence, which suggest he may well have the quality to be a hit in this league. It is however not set in stone due to a) how he recovers from a very major injury and b) he's only played, what, 4 games in this league? My instinct is he'll be a success and you've got a superb deal here, but it's not surprising some people, particularly from the outside, would be hesitant in hailing this as an astounding signing.

Guest Wearside

When i read Smb, its like they are talking about some really good football side- yet everytime Ive watched Sunderland they have been uttter s****- especially 5-1.

Should be a nice easy victory for you at our place next week then if we are that bad.

If Sunderland were to attempt to sign Welbeck, I'd see that as more of a risk than the Ben Arfa signing tbh.

We've signed a 23 year old French international for £5m, is it? Man U would be wanting considerably more for a 20 year old Englishman with a decent amount of talent. Personally, would go for Ben Arfa every day of the week  :aww:

When i read Smb, its like they are talking about some really good football side- yet everytime Ive watched Sunderland they have been uttter s****- especially 5-1.

Should be a nice easy victory for you at our place next week then if we are that bad.

It begins !

SACF v NUFC are always difficult games, you can never judge them.  No one in there right mind would have had us down to hoof Sunderland 5-1.  Tho it was very enjoyable.