NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

I know that Barton has been playing very well on the right, it's also his first season without as many injurys as before.

He hasn't exactly had any decent wingers with some movement/pace when he has played in CM, doesn't make it easier to perform either.

Barton has neither the presence nor close control to play CM. He's ten times the player in RM.

Not sure I agree that his time as a CM is over. We weren't even talking about him playing wide a few months ago.

Completely irrelevant. We've seen him play both RM and CM this season, and the difference in the effectiveness is huge.

Doesn't mean it will be the case next season. He's developed a lot as a player and a person this season, it would be unwise to write him off as a CM. As he ages, he'll have no option but to play in field.

Btw, I do go to games.

He's not going to morph into a Tiote or a even a Nolan. He gets bullied in the middle and always will. He's a Beckham-type player and should stay out wide.

I know that Barton has been playing very well on the right, it's also his first season without as many injurys as before.

He hasn't exactly had any decent wingers with some movement/pace when he has played in CM, doesn't make it easier to perform either.

Barton has neither the presence nor close control to play CM. He's ten times the player in RM.

Hilarious! On the on hand you say that Barton has not good enough control or presence to handle the CM--position. But on the other hand, you manage to defend Nolan, the incarnation of non-movement, who got no close control what so ever or a general presence in CM.

Erm, what? :lol:

Not sure I agree that his time as a CM is over. We weren't even talking about him playing wide a few months ago.

Completely irrelevant. We've seen him play both RM and CM this season, and the difference in the effectiveness is huge.

Doesn't mean it will be the case next season. He's developed a lot as a player and a person this season, it would be unwise to write him off as a CM. As he ages, he'll have no option but to play in field.

Btw, I do go to games.

He's not going to morph into a Tiote or a even a Nolan. He gets bullied in the middle and always will. He's a Beckham-type player and should stay out wide.

He's very like Beckham, which is why talk of needing a "winger" is ridiculous. Beckham's the best right-sided player in Premier League history, by some distance. It's all about delivery.

It isn't 'all' about delivery though, is it. Delivery is part of it... but so is pace, movement and attacking threat. There's more than one type of successful wide player.

Indeed, a good crosser is a must for a wide player BUT they need more than that to their game, Barton is never going to beat his man and get in behind, nor will he chase back all the way and get the ball back.

He was the best we had from a poor balanced squad, hate to think Pardew & Ashley are happy thinking we have the right wing position sorted because we have Barton.

It isn't 'all' about delivery though, is it. Delivery is part of it... but so is pace, movement and attacking threat. There's more than one type of successful wide player.

Indeed, a good crosser is a must for a wide player BUT they need more than that to their game, Barton is never going to beat his man and get in behind, nor will he chase back all the way and get the ball back.

Don't remember you complaining about Solano, like.

Nobby was part of a better balanced side and at his best was much of a better wide player than Barton. I am not saying we should never play him there, its great to have players who can adapt to other roles, its a long season.

All I want is the club to look at buying a pacey out & out right winger.

Just how important do you think crosses into the box will be next season?

The Gervinho/Gameiro and even Sow types are not necessarily headers of the ball. Need I remind you that we now longer have a real target man, leading the line?

Nobby was part of a better balanced side and at his best was much of a better wide player than Barton. I am not saying we should never play him there, its great to have players who can adapt to other roles, its a long season.

All I want is the club to look at buying a pacey out & out right winger.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Just how important do you think crosses into the box will be next season?

The Gervinho/Gameiro and even Sow types are not necessarily headers of the ball. Need I remind you that we now longer have a real target man, leading the line?

Wide players do more than just crossing the ball. Barton's makes some fantastic in field balls as well which I'm sure Gervinho/Gameiro would love to be on the recieving end of.

I wouldn't have a problem with Barton starting most games on the right, I'd just like another option for certain games or as a substitute.

Maybe Lua Lua could provide something, although I wouldn't want him to be shunted out wide if that isn't his true position. Seems like Routledge is on his way out so that debate is pointless.

Crosses into the box is a massive part of football and for years was what Arsenal lacked BUT its not all thats needed, Barton would be a one dimensional winger, would be all about crossing it early.

Crosses into the box is a massive part of football and for years was what Arsenal lacked BUT its not all thats needed, Barton would be a one dimensional winger, would be all about crossing it early.

He's not a winger, man. He's a midfielder suited to playing wide of centre.

He's not a winger, man. He's a midfielder suited to playing wide of centre.

Agreed. He's become an excellent 'RM', wouldn't describe him as an RW ...

We need a bigger squad, we suffer because of it season after season.. no point saying right we have Barton for the right wing so thats sorted. If he gets a long term injury we would end up playing some fker out of position or jigging it so we end up with two or three out of position. Happens time and time again.

Okay maybe it will be better with having HBA back so we have Jonas who can play wide right with HBA wide left.

It would just be nice to have more options.

He dictates the game from out there, he's been doing it all season.

He was the best we had from a poor balanced squad, hate to think Pardew & Ashley are happy thinking we have the right wing position sorted because we have Barton.

he's been particularly good because he's just needed to deliver it well, he hasnt had to beat the man and get the defence facing towards goal when he crosses it to make their job harder. the reason he didnt have to do this now plays for liverpool