Wolves, WBA plus Play-Off Winners.

Optimistic Nut

Whether we stay up by 1 point or 10, 1 goal or 10, 1 place or 10, it doesn't matter next year as long as we stay up. Someone like Robbie Keane will help us do that.

If we bring in a proper striker who can score goals in the PL, a quick creative midfielder and a decent RB, we'll stay up.

Yep, they being the 'three significant upgrades' i touched upon in my post. Darren Bent (amongst several others down the years) has proven that a goalscorer can keep you up. It needs to be our absolute priority in the summer and i really hope we don't take a gamble with either an unknown, or a 'maybe man' - like Doyle or something. It's one of the reasons why i'm in the minority when i say Robbie Keane would be a good signing. He's a proven goalscorer.

Agree completely on Keane.

Hopefully players like Carroll can step up and play their part too.

Must be a right twat to be on the other end of this, where every season you expect that of the three teams that come down from the prem, at least two of them are going to fuck your chances of automatic promotion.

How anyone can start saying we have a good chance of staying up because the likes of Wigan are in the Prem, I do not know.

I watched both their games in the past week against Arsenal and W.Ham, and they played well in both of them. They are a better footballing side than we are and much quicker at getting the ball through midfield(notice I said THROUGH it and not OVER it...).

We are going to have to step up the pace of the game by at least 25% and improve the accuracy of passing when we go into the Prem if we are to stay out of trouble, and we won't do it with this squad at present.

If we make the right signings we can do it, esp with the 'new team' factor which will be present when we first go up...as has been said, it will be interesting to see if Brum maintain their place next season.

simples anyone who shows any talent for wigan will be sold asap they dont even bother to fight it

How anyone can start saying we have a good chance of staying up because the likes of Wigan are in the Prem, I do not know.

I watched both their games in the past week against Arsenal and W.Ham, and they played well in both of them. They are a better footballing side than we are and much quicker at getting the ball through midfield(notice I said THROUGH it and not OVER it...).

A game that they lost, and a game that produced a once-in-a-lifetime comeback win. Definitely top four material :thup:

Guest toonlass

If we bring in a proper striker who can score goals in the PL, a quick creative midfielder and a decent RB, we'll stay up.

Yep, they being the 'three significant upgrades' i touched upon in my post. Darren Bent (amongst several others down the years) has proven that a goalscorer can keep you up. It needs to be our absolute priority in the summer and i really hope we don't take a gamble with either an unknown, or a 'maybe man' - like Doyle or something. It's one of the reasons why i'm in the minority when i say Robbie Keane would be a good signing. He's a proven goalscorer.

Agree

A game that they lost, and a game that produced a once-in-a-lifetime comeback win. Definitely top four material :thup:

Who said anything about Top 4 etc ? We are talking about teams we will have to beat to stay up and Wigan fall into that category ; its not as if we have a great record against them anyway - have we ever won at their place ?

They may well sell players, but they seem to do a reasonable job of replacing those that they sell which is a skill NUFC have yet to master at the top level. The only time I remember this happening in the last 20 years was the exchange of Cole and Gillespie, because we ended up with Ferdinand some months later AND a good winger in Gillespie - UNTIL his 'big buddy' at Man U, Phil Neville, crocked him in the 95-96 season at OT..he was never the same after that.

When we start WINNING at places like Wigan and West Ham, then we can start taking them lightly...

Guest BooBoo

Keane would be a fantastic signing. An experienced goalscorer of any description would be a good buy but the nous of Keane would really add a bit of class.

Guest BooBoo

You would hope he could improve Carrolls game too in the same way Beardsley brought the absolute best out of Andy Cole.

Yeah agree with that. Carroll might actually turn out to be a half-decent forward so i hope he gets a lot of football next season. Shola's the better finisher but i think i'd still rather have The Big AC in ahead of him if possible. But as you say, Carroll would need a partner to take a lot of the pressure off him, because as things stand, he's not quite ready to shoulder the burden. Imo, anyway. He could be a very effective partner for someone like Keane, too - for his physicality if nothing more.

Those three, plus Wigan and Birmingham. I also wonder when the Stoke bubble will burst.

Wigan i agree with but not Birmingham. Theyve done well this season and they'll get money to spend over the summer to strenghten so they'll do not to badly. Plus Wigan have to have a full season on Gary Caldwell fuck ups so thats a plus for us

Those three, plus Wigan and Birmingham. I also wonder when the Stoke bubble will burst.

Wigan i agree with but not Birmingham. Theyve done well this season and they'll get money to spend over the summer to strenghten so they'll do not to badly. Plus Wigan have to have a full season on Gary Caldwell fuck ups so thats a plus for us

Hmmm to me, they look prime to suffer 'second season syndrome' like reading and ipswich. looking at their squad, they've overachieved this season and its started to show recently as they slip down the league. Plus, isn't something going on with their finances/owner? Can't see them having much money to spend at all.

Wigan i agree with but not Birmingham. Theyve done well this season and they'll get money to spend over the summer to strenghten so they'll do not to badly. Plus Wigan have to have a full season on Gary Caldwell f*** ups so thats a plus for us

Hmmm to me, they look prime to suffer 'second season syndrome' like reading and ipswich. looking at their squad, they've overachieved this season and its started to show recently as they slip down the league. Plus, isn't something going on with their finances/owner? Can't see them having much money to spend at all.

I think Joe Hart is one of the main reasons why they've done well this season.  If they can sign him permenantly or on loan again will help them stay up next season.  They're a decent home team - bit like Stoke - where they stifle teams and make it hard for them.

Guest antz1uk

Yep - this.

agreed too

Wigan i agree with but not Birmingham. Theyve done well this season and they'll get money to spend over the summer to strenghten so they'll do not to badly. Plus Wigan have to have a full season on Gary Caldwell f*** ups so thats a plus for us

I think Joe Hart is one of the main reasons why they've done well this season.  If they can sign him permenantly or on loan again will help them stay up next season.  They're a decent home team - bit like Stoke - where they stifle teams and make it hard for them.

no chance of getting hart tbh city seem to want him to challenge given to keep him on his toes