Some never learn

jdckelly

Yeah, regardless of all that I'd be well pissed off if we went down this route again.  It's never worked in this country.

yes it has, gordon milne was a very succesful Dof F somewhere....fucked if i can remember where though.

Ex Coventry manager,even managed to get Coventry playing in Europe........

Yeah, regardless of all that I'd be well pissed off if we went down this route again.  It's never worked in this country.

yes it has, gordon milne was a very succesful Dof F somewhere....fucked if i can remember where though.

Fair play, how heavy was his involvement and influence though?  He was very much in the background from what I can recall. 

Certainly nowhere near a DOF in the sense Ashley pushed it last time around.  And also nothing like the continental DOF role, which is what I was getting at.

yes it has, gordon milne was a very succesful Dof F somewhere....f***ed if i can remember where though.

Fair play, how heavy was his involvement and influence though?  He was very much in the background from what I can recall. 

Certainly nowhere near a DOF in the sense Ashley pushed it last time around.  And also nothing like the continental DOF role, which is what I was getting at.

we just dont know on either count, nobody knew what milne done or wise.

You make it sound like European club managers only coach the players and select lineups, and it really isn't like that. In any sane European club the manager will still expect to select and approve transfer targets, or point the problem areas that need strengthening. The DoF will advance possibilities, be aware of potential market opportunities,  and conduct the dealings. Of course the DoF will still have his ideas and suggestions, and make them known to the gaffer, but the thought that a DoF will sign or sell a player without the manager's approval is ludicrous (unless the club needs the money). Yes, the DoF is supposed to design and implement footballing project, but that is represented through his selection of the manager, and not his interference once one is appointed. Heck, even Real Madrid tried to make it look like Pellegrini approved the Galactico signings.

Lots of managers have resigned in Europe if the DoF pulled rank of them. Valencia for example has had lots of problems with their managers this decade due to overzealous board/DoF having frictions with Rafa Benítez or Quique Flores.

One thing where European managers probably are more limited than British ones is youth signings. A manager only signs players for the first team, signing promising youngsters for the reserve or B sides is beyond his authority and is conducted through a different set of staff appointed by the DoF. The manager can block loans or sales if he intends to use players from the youth teams, though.