The Bradford Fire

Guest toonlass

Guest Phil K

Howay, he's only 10 years old, man. Why would he have heard of it?

He'd have heard of the Hillsbrough disaster right ?

Q.E.D.

i was listening on the radio whilst at work and heard the news breaking and gradualy getting worse. we had been to valley parade that season or the season before in the league cup and some lads had got into a store room at the back of the away end which joined onto that stand and were throwing paint all over. also in that store room were a load of gas bottles and i was thinking if that fire reaches there they could really be in trouble................as the day went on and the news came through and gradually sunk in all i could picture in my mind was the view of that stand from where we were stood.

Guest Phil K

Q.E.D.

Aye, whatever.

You miss the point as usual, mate.

Q.E.D.

Aye, whatever.

You mean this event should be as well known as Hillsborough?

Q.E.D.

Aye, whatever.

shouldn't it ?

Q.E.D.

Aye, whatever.

shouldn't it ?

I'm not disputing that. I'm just wondering if that's the point he was trying to make.

worse than Hillsborough - afterwards they found half the clubs in the league could suffer the same sort of problem - it's the main  reason all the new grounds had to be built

NUFC were at Norwich that day IIRC.

I remember getting home at 10/11pm and watching the closing stages of MOTD. MOTD just closed with a black screen, no music.

I knew there had been a fire but no idea of what extent and was shocked. Hard to imagine for some young'uns but there were no mobile phones in them 'old days'

What strikes me the most at the end was that it was mainly kids under 16 and older people voer 60, quite a lot of mid 70 year olds. Very sad. Worse than Hillsborough IMO, because that could have killed the whole stadium

A total of 56 people died in the fire.[2] Of those, 54 were Bradford supporters and two from Lincoln.[14] They included three who tried to escape through the toilets, 27 who were found by exit K and turnstiles six to nine at the rear centre of the stand and two elderly people who died in their seats. Some had been crushed as they tried to crawl under turnstiles to escape. One retired mill worker made his way to the pitch, but was walking about on fire from head to foot. People smothered him to extinguish the flames, but he later died in hospital.[10] Half of those who died were either aged under 20 or over 70,[10][19] the eldest of which was the club's oldest supporter, former chairman, Sam Firth, aged 86.[10][15] More than 265 supporters were injured; the fire was described as the worst fire disaster in the history of British football, and the worst disaster since 65 spectators died at the Ibrox disaster in 1971.[13] One policeman said: "It must have been survival of the fittest—men first."[10]

The fire brigade arrived at the ground four minutes after they were called. However, the fire had consumed the stand by that point and they were faced by huge flames and dense smoke. Neither were they able to start fighting the fire immediately so that supporters could be first rescued from the ground.[11] The fire destroyed the main stand and left only burned seats, lamps and fences. Some of those who died were still sitting upright in their seats covered by tarpaulin. Police worked until 4 am the following morning, under lighting, to remove all the bodies.[11]

Guest toonlass

One of the worst things I read was that supporters were coming into the hospital with their hands on their heads, and the nurses didn't know what it was all about at first. Then they were told that the roof was tar and bitumin and it had melted as the roof burned and people had put their hands on their heads to try and protect them from the falling tar and their hands were stuck by the tar.

Guest secteur2010

One thing you learn is if there is a HINT of a fire get the hell out of there just drop everything and RUN

screwed if you're on a plane...

Guest toonlass

One thing you learn is if there is a HINT of a fire get the hell out of there just drop everything and RUN

We were always taught not to run, you are more likely to fall if you run. Plus if the fire is going that fast you are not going to outrun it are you?

• 4 years later...
Guest bimpy474

They show this as a safety video in NHS, there's a bit with a policeman who's hair catches fire because of the heat, and that poor fella who staggers out engulfed in flames, it's heartbreaking. Truly scary stuff.

RIP.