Best England XI in your lifetime

James

Ronaldo could have bullied defenders the same way, but realistically he was far more useful recieving the ball deep and facing goal as opposed to winning the one-on-one battles.

But Ronaldo's strength was completely natural, Shearer had to develop it when other apects of his game began to wane.

Ronaldo could have bullied defenders the same way, but realistically he was far more useful recieving the ball deep and facing goal as opposed to winning the one-on-one battles.

But Ronaldo's strength was completely natural, Shearer had to develop it when other apects of his game began to wane.

I thought we were talking about Rooney?

You're also talking to somebody who thinks Ronaldo is the best player he's seen in his lifetime, and by some distance may I add. So you're never going to get me disagreeing with anyone who lauds Ronaldo.

Guest firetotheworks

Born 84, watched from 90 (but only really remember Gazza and Lineker).

Seaman

Campbell  Adams  Cole

Beckham    Scholes    Gascoigne  Beardsley

Rooney 

Shearer              Lineker

Too many cooks springs to mind, but fuck it.

Far too many names beginning with RO.

Rooney is very strong on and off the ball, i wouldn't put Shearer in the same bracket till he turned 30.

Each to their own but I completely disagree with that. He really bulked up around 94/95 time.

Similar to the first post but mine would be:

Seaman

Neville Adams Campbell Pearce

Beckham Gerrard Gascoigne

Beardsley

Shearer Rooney

Unfortunately, I put Gerrard ahead of Scholes though ( I hate Gerrard ).

Guest firetotheworks

How can Gerrard be in there? He's the better player over Scholes in the PL imo, but for England nowhere near as good as Scholes.

How can Gerrard be in there? He's the better player over Scholes in the PL imo, but for England nowhere near as good as Scholes.

circa 1998 Scholes pisses on Gerrard and Lampard at all levels.

Post 1998 he let us down in every single one. People just get conned by the media.

That old chestnut again... post 2002.

Excuse me?

Don't know how many times I've seen you post that but it's just as untrue. In 2000 and 2002 he had decent tournaments and scored. Since then he's been terrible.

Post 1998 he let us down in every single one. People just get conned by the media.

That old chestnut again... post 2002.

Excuse me?

Don't know how many times I've seen you post that but it's just as untrue. In 2000 and 2002 he had decent tournaments and scored. Since then he's been terrible.

Don't make me laugh, he scored once in 2000 and twice in 2002. The 'goalscorer' let us down in both.

To say he let us down in 2002 especially is just preposterous. Don't really know where you get that from.

I'm hardly in the business of changing your mind though, I know what a pointless task that is.

To say he let us down in 2002 especially is just preposterous. Don't really know where you get that from.

I'm hardly in the business of changing your mind though, I know what a pointless task that is.

2 goals in 5 games (none in the group stage) from a player who gives you nothing but goals it a let down in my book. He didn't play well at all.

Guest Geordie Boyo

Lineker           Shearer

Beardsley

Gascoigne                Gerrard            Beckham

Pearce         Adams             Terry         G. Neville

Shilton

Guest Reyrolle

R Clemence

P Neal

D Watson

E Hughes

T Cooper

A Hudson

S Bowles

T Currie

P Beardsley

W Rooney

M MacDonald

Born 1980 with 1986 being the first competition I remember (and have watched videos on etc back in the day).........

Seaman (Still feel this is somewhat of weak choice but don't think Shilton was any better)

Gary Neville (In his day an absolutely fantastic full back)

Ashley Cole (The best left back we've had in my lifetime - buries Stuart Pearce for ability)

Rio Ferdinand (Ahead of Terry because of his calmness with the ball and ability to read the game slightly better at his peak)

Tony Adams (The best reader of the game I've ever seen live)

Lampard (couldn't drop him - he's scored over 20 goals a year for his club for 5 years - the man's a fucking machine)

Scholes (in games where we'd go for the jugular) McManaman as a holding player when we'd not.

Gascoigne (Pure natural talent)

Beardsley (The best playmaker England have had in my lifetime)

Rooney (Could be the best England fwd I've ever seen if he continues to develop)

Shearer (Until Rooney proves he can produce at England level over a number of years, Big Al is the main man in my eyes).