The Spanish Newcastle

Exiled in Texas

The Steve McClaren thread brought up the idea of Schalke being the German Newcastle and reasons why. Fan Expectations, title history, socio-economic similarities etc.  So thought it would be fun to see who are the Newcastle of the other leagues -

let's start with La Liga.

Tell me which team in Spain is the Spanish Newcastle - and why.

Guest GAMMELL

Betis,

- 52K + Stadium

- Relegated last season

- Spunk horrendous amounts of money on shite players

- Win fucking nowt

- Passionate following

What are the similarities between us and Newcastle? The Geordie/Catalan thing?

Betis is a good shout, clownish ownership, passionate following, relegation... but I think Atlético is a more perennial case of building themselves up season after season and coming up wildly short almost every time. Plus they have a recent relegation.

MLS by his late twenties. :lol:

Was playing in Vietnam when i was over there last year. Only managed 45mins before he sacked it off though. Was big big news in Vietnam though.

Wonder how the player see us - are we attractive to potential player like Real Betis is to players in Spain?  It seems like we always think that our stadium, large number of fans and our "potential" are a big draw to players but when I see that we are the Spanish version of Real Betis perhaps it puts things into consideration a bit better.

Aye, and they got shot of him after half a season. Have never seen such a quick fall from grace in any modern player. I also remember reading an article that he got fired in Vietnam after just one game  :lol:

Was playing in Vietnam when i was over there last year. Only managed 45mins before he sacked it off though. Was big big news in Vietnam though.

seems like you've been to every bloody country on the planet

seems like you've been to every bloody country on the planet

:snod: I do enjoy a bit of travel like but still a lot of places to go.

Barcelona

Unbelievable that anyone would compare NUFC to this great club - they leave us standing when it comes to trophies, ability to sign top players and world-wide renown.

Maybe Athletic Bilbao are similar - very regional passionate support and win very little ; they also sell their best players...!

Barcelona

Unbelievable that anyone would compare NUFC to this great club - they leave us standing when it comes to trophies, ability to sign top players and world-wide renown.

Maybe Athletic Bilbao are similar - very regional passionate support and win very little ; they also sell their best players...!

Bilbao are a very successful club, it's just that their adherence to their principles have prevented them from continuing this success in this day and age. They have won 8 leagues and 23 cups, fourth and second best in Spain respectively, and are one of only 3 clubs to have always been at the top flight.