The Power And The Passion: The Geordie Nation - 28 June - BBC World Service

Wallace

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/documentaries/2010/06/100603_the_power_and_the_passion.shtml

This is part 4 of a 4 part series being broadcast on BBC World Service and is due to air on Monday, 28th June.

The Power and the Passion.

With the 2010 World Cup fast approaching many football fans around the world will be avidly debating and agonising over the fate of their nations in the tournament. However it is often at the domestic club level that the game finds its most passionate support.

David Goldblatt, embarks on an assortment of adventures into the meaning and madness of the game. He travels to four very different football games in Italy, Egypt, Ghana and the UK, to experience the build-up and pitch action from the perspective of the fans.

By David Goldblatt

Geordie Nation - Newcastle v Anybody

TO BE BROADCAST ON MONDAY 28 JUNE 2010

It's 11 May 2009 and the English Premiership is awash with money and self-importance as the world’s "greatest league". But here in the North East, the early standard bearer for the Premiership revolution is wounded and in trouble.

This is a one-city club; its fortunes dominate the lives of many, as does the outline of St James' Park stadium as you climb the approach. Business, civic pride, local bragging rights with their hated "Mackem" - Sunderland - rivals and the nagging ache of having won "nowt" for decades, are all bundled up in the black and white fervour of the Toon army.

A litany of Newcastle’s recent woes, clustered together under the wildly unpopular ownership of the elusive tycoon Mike Ashley, makes for grim reading and gallows humour for its many passionate fans.

Scandal, sackings, punch ups between players, disastrous decision-making, a financial meltdown and now potential relegation. Even the return of local hero Alan Shearer, as manger, can’t banish the stink of fear that grips the club and its fans as they play local rivals Middlesbrough - who also seemingly doomed to the drop.

Fans have written their own play - You Couldn’t Make It Up - to chart the ludicrous misfortunes of recent years. Whilst an encounter with Sir John Hall - a key figure in the regeneration of the club in the 1980s - reveals the impossible dream of the Geordie nation. That night, amidst nail biting and near hysteria, the club first fall behind and then rally and win.

It is their sole win under Shearer, they are relegated anyway with a whimper. All is doomed, fans form their own group to try and wrest control of the club from an owner they have come to loathe. Players leave, the club prepares for life in the second tier and owner Mike Ashley renames the legendary St James’ Park stadium, Sports Direct.com@ St James Park. Things can’t get any worse.

On 2 April 2010, Newcastle are playing Ipswich and the dark night of last season has been banished by the light. The team has rallied, achieved promotion at the first time of asking and now are about to be crowned champions as they play their last home game of the season. But for those same fans that I met in the depths of despair what does the future hold?

If that's not riddled with the typical, nauseating 'Geordie stereotype' shite - it could be quite interesting. I don't hold out much hope though. I enjoy it when we're on the TV n stuff, but we don't live in our own little corner of the footballing world, as the mass media like to insinuate. The club itself is a bit different, and has become a parody of itself over the last half decade, but the fans are just like those of any other team. Certainly in terms of mentality. I do sorta loathe the labelling, positive or negative, about our supporters - because 90% of the time it's very exaggerated and cliched.

That said, i'm judging a book by it's cover here. Like i say, it could be pretty interesting.

After reading that I am still a bit confused as to what this thing is all about.

"David Goldblatt, embarks on an assortment of adventures into the meaning and madness of the game. He travels to four very different football games in Italy, Egypt, Ghana and the UK, to experience the build-up and pitch action from the perspective of the fans."

After reading that I am still a bit confused as to what this thing is all about.

"David Goldblatt, embarks on an assortment of adventures into the meaning and madness of the game. He travels to four very different football games in Italy, Egypt, Ghana and the UK, to experience the build-up and pitch action from the perspective of the fans."

Cheers :lol: , Still think its a bit daft like.

Guest Phil K

Not sure I can bear to listen to it.

This kind of thing always makes me cringe.

Full of the bleeding obvious, half-truths, myths and the occasional fact.

i'll be listening. the reactions may be as interesting as the prog itself. some think if something doesn't agree with their view then the prog itself is shit. rather like those who say "good post" when someone has just backed up their own opinion.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Geordie Nation man, how is that phrase still going  :doh: They trying to turn is like Catalans and Basque or something? What the hell, its not as if we're all still wearing Geordie Jeans (though I did own a pair when I was younger).