Spain win World Cup 2010

ElDiablo
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Win or go home, am I right?

You draw, the us draws, they're through on goals scored.

You draw, Algeria wins, Algeria leap frog you into second.

Lose and obviously you're out.

So unless you have a goal filled draw, you have to win. 2-2 is the lowest scoring draw needed.

Best of luck.

Can't believe we're in this position. Pathetic, just pathetic. :nope:

The position itself isn't that poor.  Beat Slovenia, ranked 25th, and advance to the round of 16.  The Group D picture is too complicated to guess who we'll play if we win the group or finish second.  The pathetic part is the team. 

I can't believe how bad Rooney was. I mean, everyone has an off day but this was a performance that would've looked bad at a local park. Not that he deserves to be singled out particularly but his performances have usually been the silver lining in past poor England performances. I'm worried. I genuinely think he might've bottled this one. And England has no other players who can take us to the final.

Did you really expect us to get to the final?

If they had been the same team that showed up in qualifying, they could have won this group and avoided playing anyone good until the semis.  Fluking a final was quite possible if they had managed average.

If you win against Slovenia by a decent margin you'll still win the group.

USA will comfortably beat Algeria, IMO.

Slovenia is a better side than people think, it will be tough for England if they continue to underestimate their opponents (which tbf it really looks like they've done in their two first matches) as Slovenia is actually capable of punishing them for it. Still think England will scrape through though, but I'd be more worried than some people on here seem to be about just how strong Slovenia is if I was English.

Slovenia looked weak during the second half today, the US broke through them very easily and the yanks aren't that good.

Agree that if England takes the field with the same disposition as today nothing good will come out of it, but they'll be playing for their lives and I expect the ability chasm between both teams to eventually show up.

Slovenia looked weak during the second half today, the US broke through them very easily and the yanks aren't that good.

Agree that if England takes the field with the same disposition as today nothing good will come out of it, but they'll be playing for their lives and I expect the ability chasm between both teams to eventually show up.

Playing for their lives will probably mean events of panic if there's no early goal, which will work to the Slovenians advantage if they stay on the backfoot most of the game as they actually know how to counter, which was seen throughout their qualifying campaign.

It'll be quite interesting for a neutral, though. I'm looking forward to it and hoping the England pull through for the people on here. :thup:

I agree that Slovenia looked great on the counter today. The yanks were dominating the game when they got punished with that second goal.

I want the yanks to go through since I have been living here for a few years already (might end soon though), would also like England to progress since they a more interesting team to watch than Slovenia or Algeria but the drama and tabloid covers if they fail would be amusing too.

Also, Germany/Argentina vs England matchups in knockouts are always fun for a neutral.

I agree that Slovenia looked great on the counter today. The yanks were dominating the game when they got punished with that second goal.

I want the yanks to go through since I have been living here for a few years already (might end soon though), would also like England to progress since they a more interesting team to watch than Slovenia or Algeria but the drama and tabloid covers if they fail would be amusing too.

Also, Germany/Argentina vs England matchups in knockouts are always fun for a neutral.

I have very little doubts that the Yanks won't pull through to be honest, purely down to their "never give up, we believe in fairytales" attitude. What they don't have in ability they make up for in pure 100% concentrated power of will.

Guest kingdawson

There's absolutely no point playing an out and out right winger when he has to play infront of that certified piece of shit Glen Johnson. All he does is bomb forward but unlike Ashley Cole, he does it at the wrong times which causes the right winger to go inside. Lennon hardly ever cuts inside for us yet he does it every time for England because knob head Johnson has decided to bomb forward again (same happened with SWP who basically played cm when he came on minus one moment when he went on the outside).

How is putting SWP a positive substitution ffs?

Gerrard, Lampard , Rooney and Johnson were laughing at us with that performance. Gerrard with his misplaced passes, Lampard with his usual invisible act, Rooney because he literally gave up when it wasn't going his way, and Johnson who has no positional sense whatsoever.

Guest kingdawson

Btw it was pretty obvious Algeria targeted the rb spot as our weakness. The amount of times Ziani and Belhadj bombed forward without knob head Johnson around was laughable (and when he was around they beat him easily anyway).

As poor as I've seen an England side in years, certainly at a tournament. It made scraping through a win against Trinidad and Tobago look like halcyon days.

Can't believe how wrong Capello has got it when it's come to the crunch. Still think we'll get through the group somehow but playing like this, any half decent side will roll us over without breaking sweat.

As poor as I've seen an England side in years, certainly at a tournament. It made scraping through a win against Trinidad and Tobago look like halcyon days.

Can't believe how wrong Capello has got it when it's come to the crunch. Still think we'll get through the group somehow but playing like this, any half decent side will roll us over without breaking sweat.

Wullie mate, agree that Capello got some decisions wrong...like I would have played Joe Cole (although it has to be remembered that he didn't really have a stellar season) and I would have taken Heskey off at half time. But really I think this time players like Rooney, Lampard and Gerrard can't hid behind the manager anymore. They have to accept that they are not good enough on the international stage and England have to start afresh.

Wullie mate, agree that Capello got some decisions wrong...like I would have played Joe Cole (although it has to be remembered that he didn't really have a stellar season) and I would have taken Heskey off at half time. But really I think this time players like Rooney, Lampard and Gerrard can't hid behind the manager anymore. They have to accept that they are not good enough on the international stage and England have to start afresh.

But let's be honest, there's no way Rooney, Gerrard and Lampard are "not good enough on the international stage" - these are some of the best players in the world who do it every single week for some of the biggest clubs in the world. Modern international football is of a much lower standard than club football. Saying they're not good enough is avoiding the real issue of why they've never done it for England other than in fits and starts.

I agree that all three of them were atrocious last night, particularly Rooney who I've never seen have a worse game. The worst bit is that when he takes the field against us on the first day, he'll probably destroy us like he does every time.

Guest kingdawson

Kenny Samson really is a bitter Walcott loving Gooner. Still harping on about how Lennon shouldn't have gone to the WC. In these 2 games, England have only created 3 'real' chances..

1) Heskey's 1 on 1 against the Yanks = Lennon through ball

2) Lampard's easy chance against Algeria = Cross by Lennon

3) Rooney's header which the Algerian cb just managed to get a slight head on it = Cross by Lennon.

Suppose he would have preferred Walcott's invisible act the moron.

Btw it was pretty obvious Algeria targeted the rb spot as our weakness. The amount of times Ziani and Belhadj bombed forward without knob head Johnson around was laughable (and when he was around they beat him easily anyway).

For once we agree. Johnson is an absolute joke and a shambolic defender.

Guest firetotheworks

...and yet he was probably one the least shit players, and was our best player against USA. I don't rate Johnson, but surprisingly he's been better that most others. fwiw I also thought that Algeria got the most joy when they attacked down the left because Gerrard was fucking nowhere to be seen, and they doubled up on Cole.

So many times in England's game yesterday if the players such as Lampard, Gerrard and Rooney had been playing for their club teams they would have had a shot at goal rather than the extra pass they were trying to force in tight positions.

So many times in England's game yesterday if the players such as Lampard, Gerrard and Rooney had been playing for their club teams they would have had a shot at goal rather than the extra pass they were trying to force in tight positions.

Not that I include the big lump in with those players, but Heskey trying to pull the ball across a crowded penalty area to Rooney instead of taking the clear shot at goal he had was astonishing even for him. Clown.

We knaw yer gannin  fucking nee where with 3 scousers in the team, even Liverpool dont play more than 2 ffs.

Nolan, Taylor & Barton = Relegation

Roon, Carra & Stevie G = England shite

World cup winners: Bobby & Jack

England record goalscorer = Bobby

PL top goalscorer = Shearer

England bench warmer = Carrick

Put it simple, English players are not "tactically" well-educated.  That's something you can hide at club level by regular teambuilding but got exposed at international level.

That's no coincidence that all those superstars - Gerrard, Lampard and Scholes in the past - plays like shit for most of their England's game.

Rooney is a bit better but he seems like having motivation problems.

2010 seems a bit too early for Capello. Give him time to build the team and hopefully 2012 the team is really completed and able to perform.

Not that I include the big lump in with those players, but Heskey trying to pull the ball across a crowded penalty area to Rooney instead of taking the clear shot at goal he had was astonishing even for him. Clown.

Yeah he really is a total plank! Must be the worst player to manage to win so many caps!!!

I'd also like to make clear my disdain for Shaun Wright Phillips. The f***ing w*****. That is all.

Walcott can't be worse than him, eh?

I'd pick Wayne Routledge ahead of him tbh. Every time.