FA Coaching Badges

Ash

I'm a technical coach I suppose, but also do SAQ when the time was right or if I think the player won't benefit from a technical skill due to the weather etc. Obviously fitness is important as the players have to be able to complete the 80-90 minutes so we have done some fitness sessions at the beach to mix it up. I don't agree that teaching a player to be strong is the way forward as you could have a 5'2 kid against a kid who is 5'9 after a massive growth spurt. It defies logic to think that trying to teach the smaller child to be strong will benefit them as opposed to giving them the information to dribble or pass their way around the tall child.

The effective style of play would be one that is enjoyable simply. For the group I work with as long as they have fun I don't mind if is route 1 or 26 passes before the goal. Personally I prefer carpet football, but realistically they will not always keep it on the ground.

My coaching style for football is I tell the players what to do and if they make a mistake then I ask the player themself how they could do it differently or I tell them what to do, ask them what to do and let them get on with it. If they make a mistake I stop the game briefly, explain what went wrong and play again.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

How old are they again?

I find my U11s drift between being ball greedy and carpet football nicely. Any long balls they try are often on the deck anyway, or switch of plays. I think I've got lucky.

Under 13 this season. To be fair that was last season and we ain't played a league game yet and we've basically got rid of the whole squad! So i'll wait and see

I find my team are totally different in training with a ball than in a game, which is frustrating but funny. In training they all want a ball, all want to dribble, all want to impress - will never pass. In a game, they pass it around like no ones business, though still have moments where they hang on to it too long, or don't see runs.

Hardest thing I find trying to teach is communication. There's a few lads that make really clever runs into space, but never let their teammates know. They say they feel silly speaking/shouting during a game, so I'm trying to think of a fun way to make it not an issue.

Thanks guys!

Now I just need a full time job in football and that will be me even happier! Applied for the football development officer with Northumberland FA so will have to keep my fingers crossed that I get an interview for that.

I've been trying to get on the FA Youth Module 1 course but neither Durham or Northumberland have any more planned for this year!

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Ah, that's a bugger, I was looking at that to be my next course too, Looks like they only do it over the Summer? Suppose I can do Level 2 instead!

I think it must have been mainly in the summer. It is all a new course and I know Durham had 3 different ones on. Really wish i'd done the one two days in July and then two days in August now.

Will have to keep a look out and if nothing is announced soon i'll check with Durham when I go on my level 3 day in October.

So jealous of you Caz!!!

Really hope i don't spacker up on my Level 2 like i'd be gutted, so much time and money :/

Have you got your assessment sorted out yet?

If you need any help and or advice for any of it, just let me know :)

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Really happy with 1st week of football with my team. 1st game was a cup game, we were 3-0 down at half time, pulled it back to 4-4 then won 5-4 in extra time. Tonight we've won 13-0 - though I made a mistake. I flagged their player offside, which he was, who scored their only 'goal'. Is the right thing to 'pretend' you didn't see it and allow it in to keep the other team's spirits high?

Really happy with 1st week of football with my team. 1st game was a cup game, we were 3-0 down at half time, pulled it back to 4-4 then won 5-4 in extra time. Tonight we've won 13-0 - though I made a mistake. I flagged their player offside, which he was, who scored their only 'goal'. Is the right thing to 'pretend' you didn't see it and allow it in to keep the other team's spirits high?

OFC. Go 100% by the book or your credibility will suffer.

Depends how far offside and how obvious it was.  If it was marginal then no-one could have disputed it.

But you can't rig something that is/isn;t there.  In blow outs like that (when I am refereeing) then I might have a different tollerance for fouls etc for one side or the other.  If one team is much better, then I expect them to play better too. SO one team may need to play through some challenges (as long as not dangerous) and the other might not be allowed to even breathe on the other team and in a 13-0 game one side was clearly much different to the other.

So jealous of you Caz!!!

Really hope i don't spacker up on my Level 2 like i'd be gutted, so much time and money :/

Have you got your assessment sorted out yet?

If you need any help and or advice for any of it, just let me know :)

Not yet, and thanks :)

Two things guys :)

Does anybody know where you can get the coaching pads with the rain protector thingy that forms over the top so you can still write in it?

And in order to raise money for the team for club jackets/tracksuits etc...do you think a sponsored fitness training session is a good idea?

Basically give out a sheet for 30 signatures and try and just collect a £1 or more off whoever: parents/grandparents/uncles/mam's friends etc and then bring the money for the sponosred hard session and then thats it? Instead of bloody bag packs!!!! Just an idea brewing in my head at the moment though :)

Thoughts

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Was talking the the NUFC Academy Site Co-ordinator the other day, and he said that if you go to the academy early on Saturday mornings there's really nothing stopping you from observing the coaching and taking notes. I was asking him if NUFC Academy did any coaching sessions for coaches, as I find observing and learning from other coaches the best of way of learning, but he said there wasn't really anything like that. Just community in the football, and watching the academy coaches in the morning.

Was talking the the NUFC Academy Site Co-ordinator the other day, and he said that if you go to the academy early on Saturday mornings there's really nothing stopping you from observing the coaching and taking notes. I was asking him if NUFC Academy did any coaching sessions for coaches, as I find observing and learning from other coaches the best of way of learning, but he said there wasn't really anything like that. Just community in the football, and watching the academy coaches in the morning.

Sounds good, so you can basically just turn up and watch? Might just do that :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Article on the BBC about England's drive for more coaches. Its decent, but the comment section is the highlight. Those who have tried to coach expressing the same frustrations with English Coaching/Clubs that a lot of people have already mentioned.

Grassroots is fine, its the professional teams that need the help and mentality switch.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/mattslater/2010/09/time_to_join_footballs_big_soc.html

• 1 month later...

I meant to post about this ages ago after I had my support day for level 3.

The FA has the UEFA B course back from first for sport so the level 3 won't exist anymore after this year. From next year the FA will be running the UEFA B courses again, with the course time increasing from 90 hours to 120 hours. Local FA's will no longer be running a course each, instead a venue will be chosen within a region!

It's looking like the FA are trying to be more selective on who does the course, the price is going to be around £500 as well. But that has not been totally confirmed yet.

So much for wanting more coaches to be qualified at UEFA B level! This then puts more pressure on those coaches who have done the current course (myself included) to get it completed in time.

The FA has the UEFA B course back from first for sport so the level 3 won't exist anymore after this year. From next year the FA will be running the UEFA B courses again, with the course time increasing from 90 hours to 120 hours. Local FA's will no longer be running a course each, instead a venue will be chosen within a region!

It's looking like the FA are trying to be more selective on who does the course, the price is going to be around £500 as well. But that has not been totally confirmed yet.

So much for wanting more coaches to be qualified at UEFA B level! This then puts more pressure on those coaches who have done the current course (myself included) to get it completed in time.

Absolute joke that like

Article on the BBC about England's drive for more coaches. Its decent, but the comment section is the highlight. Those who have tried to coach expressing the same frustrations with English Coaching/Clubs that a lot of people have already mentioned.

Grassroots is fine, its the professional teams that need the help and mentality switch.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/mattslater/2010/09/time_to_join_footballs_big_soc.html

The 'joystick' coaches thing is a brilliant point, and I also don't believe we should be bringing kids up playing on full size pitches.

Caz: I need some help with my Progressive 4 part coaching in Level 2. Any ideas instead of defending?

If I remember rightly I am sure I done defending for 4 linked sessions.

Other ideas for sessions could be attacking building it up from 1v1 to 2v1 all the way up to the SSG.

Passing is another good one you can work out over the 4 sessions as you can start with simple short passing, using it in SSG's then long passing and being able to challenge your players in picking the right passes at the right times.

Caz: I need some help with my Progressive 4 part coaching in Level 2. Any ideas instead of defending?

If I remember rightly I am sure I done defending for 4 linked sessions.

Other ideas for sessions could be attacking building it up from 1v1 to 2v1 all the way up to the SSG.

Passing is another good one you can work out over the 4 sessions as you can start with simple short passing, using it in SSG's then long passing and being able to challenge your players in picking the right passes at the right times.

Cheers Caz :)

The reason i don't want to defending is that 2 other coaches have already done it. It was at the 1st refresher session and only 6 turned up, so i'd prefer to do something a bit different. And of an attacking element.

Already starting to get nervous about what Assessment topic i get

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Man, that's a bit pants like. Wonder how long that'll last? Chances are it's a knee jerk reaction to the media's shouting after the World Cup.

The 'joystick' coaches thing is a brilliant point, and I also don't believe we should be bringing kids up playing on full size pitches.

I don't mind it so much at u8's when their positional sense isn't too great, even then I'll give it two or three 'chances' to see if the player catches on himself. If not, I'll do a little reminder for the player, but I've seen it happen during u11's-u18's games. :\ I'm not a touchline shouting and balling coach, haven't got the lungs or the energy to do that!

Mental note of the issues happening in a game, to work on in training. Like this week, with the u8's, I'll be doing a quick 10 minute drill on goalkicks, after noticing the keeper wasn't sure what to do. At half time I told to the two 'defenders' to go wide on the flanks (asked them 'why?' they replied 'space' which made me smile) for a short ball. Since it was windy when the GK was hoofing it forward the wind was just blowing it back in his face.  :lol:

Yeah, but do they need positional sense when they're 7?

I know if you're going to have competitive games then you need a semblance of a formation, but it can't be a good way to develop players - how can you know if a player is a defender or forward at that age?