Rooney - - not firing on any cylinders

Rob W

Think he's gonna have a Ronaldo-style breakdown. Doesn't look like he's enjoying his football at all at the moment.

:thup: He doesn't play with the same freedom he once did as an 18 year old. Don't get me wrong, he's great at what he does and you can't knock his goal scoring record over the past season. However, I personally preferred the Rooney that played behind the striker, the one that linked up play, ran at people, set people up and came onto the end of things from deep.

His judgement off the ball has never been great. Since signing for Man U he's never been great for England either.

Completely laughable that some on this board call him better than Drogba. He will be one day but right now he's not in the same league.

He has been consistently one of the better attacking players in the england set up, I'd defy you to find atoo many who's outshone him in the england set up attackng wise. I mean he was the leading scorer in the WC qualifiers in the european qualifliers (Ithink) that shows a decent level of form. I know its a few years back but from what little i remeber he was decent in WC2006 and defiitely a star in 2004, thats 2 major tournaments where he's applied him self, more than 80% of the england squad.

It's laughable saying that he's not in the same league, I'm not sure what difference there is between  the repsective players to make them 'leagues apart' but I'd like to find out. This is coming from Drogba fan.

Drogba is a lot more intelligent off the ball and a better finisher.

Who've I compared Lampard with?

Not in this thread, but you normally bring either him or Drogba up at every opportunity. Both absolutely fantastic players on their day, and it's a shame that Lampard hasn't been at his best for England as we need somebody with his goalscoring ability to step up and be counted.

But some times just bite your tongue and let it go man.

Think he's gonna have a Ronaldo-style breakdown. Doesn't look like he's enjoying his football at all at the moment.

:thup: He doesn't play with the same freedom he once did as an 18 year old. Don't get me wrong, he's great at what he does and you can't knock his goal scoring record over the past season. However, I personally preferred the Rooney that played behind the striker, the one that linked up play, ran at people, set people up and came onto the end of things from deep.

I remember an article, think it was posted on here sometime about how he was a completely different player after he left Everton, and it pretty much summizes what you've said, however i cant help but think that the Rooney we have now is the more complete player, the better team player who can play multiple roles, the opld rooney was much better to watch, but i think this rooney is much more effective, his hold up play is excellent, his vision is great, link up brilliant, movement great and finishing and creativity are all top notch. The problem i have with the current rooney in the ebngland set up is that he's easy to mark becasue i think capello expects him to be relatively rigid in his postioning ie last man stuff, he's generally more effective for man u because he can float and is therefore difficult to mark, yet he still has thdrive to be the last man even when he isnt,. if that makes sense.

His judgement off the ball has never been great. Since signing for Man U he's never been great for England either.

Completely laughable that some on this board call him better than Drogba. He will be one day but right now he's not in the same league.

He has been consistently one of the better attacking players in the england set up, I'd defy you to find atoo many who's outshone him in the england set up attackng wise. I mean he was the leading scorer in the WC qualifiers in the european qualifliers (Ithink) that shows a decent level of form. I know its a few years back but from what little i remeber he was decent in WC2006 and defiitely a star in 2004, thats 2 major tournaments where he's applied him self, more than 80% of the england squad.

It's laughable saying that he's not in the same league, I'm not sure what difference there is between  the repsective players to make them 'leagues apart' but I'd like to find out. This is coming from Drogba fan.

Drogba is a lot more intelligent off the ball and a better finisher.

Agree to disagree. Always thought rooney was a superb finisher, his goal scoring record is second to none, at all levels, much like drogba's, cant see how you can draw the conclusion that drog is therefore a better finisher, in fact unless im mistaken his goal scoring recored is actually better than drogba's so i definintely fail to see ywhere you've drawn that conclusion. As for off the ball intelligence i cant really back any iopinion up on that, ive always had rooney down as a supremely inelligent player on the field. Would i be wrong in saying that off the ball intellignce is basicallly movement? Could someone elaborate for me please becasue if thats the case then rooney movement is excellent.

Playing for Man. Utd. for the last part of the season whilst not fully fit hasn't done him any favours tbh,but the fact that he drops deep leaving his strike partner isolated should really have been explained to him in the most basic of terms also.

Always thought rooney was a superb finisher, his goal scoring record is second to none, at all levels, much like drogba's, cant see how you can draw the conclusion that drog is therefore a better finisher, in fact unless im mistaken his goal scoring recored is actually better than drogba's

Rooney's goalscoring record is second to none? Is this not the first season he's hit 20 in the league?

This is the first season that Rooney's looked like a natural goalscorer. Drogba has scored more league goals in 3 of the last 4 seasons despite Rooney's recently instated penalty taking responsiblities.

Always thought rooney was a superb finisher, his goal scoring record is second to none, at all levels, much like drogba's, cant see how you can draw the conclusion that drog is therefore a better finisher, in fact unless im mistaken his goal scoring recored is actually better than drogba's

Rooney's goalscoring record is second to none? Is this not the first season he's hit 20 in the league?

This is the first season that Rooney's looked like a natural goalscorer. Drogba has scored more league goals in 3 of the last 4 seasons despite Rooney's recently instated penalty taking responsiblities.

why are you continually comparing players who are (a) very different in style & (b) developed at very different stages of their lives

you're comparing Rooney who has been playing since age 17 regularly in the top flight vs Drobga who was a nothing nobody until his mid-late 20's but is now admittedly one of the worlds best

shouldn't you be making this comparison when Rooney is 30 or trawling over the career of Drogba from age 17 - 23/4 and comparing that?

No, don't be ridiculous. Age plays no part whatsoever in this argument. Rooney will be the better player in a couple of years but right now he's a fair way behind.

As for Drogba being 'a nothing nobody until his mid-late 20's' - that's the kind of rubbish that should be omitted from these arguements. Mourinho paid £24m for him just after he turned 26. 

No, don't be ridiculous. Age plays no part whatsoever in this argument. Rooney will be the better player in a couple of years but right now he's a fair way behind.

As for Drogba being 'a nothing nobody until his mid-late 20's' - that's the kind of rubbish that should be omitted from these arguements. Mourinho paid £24m for him just after he turned 26. 

That's the point though, isn't it?  He was completely under the radar until a year or two prior to that.

so, mid-20's then (2 good seasons for Marseille before that iirc, otherwise fairly anonymous)...i couldn't be arsed to look up when he actually appeared on the radar

so alls you're saying is that drogba now is a better striker than rooney now, i.e. he scores more goals?

i see, i shall have to sit down after taking in this revelation

never thought of Drogba as that creative for others and again can't arsed to look up the stats but it feels like Rooney should be the more creative player of the two

you appear to have discussed it a lot so i'll assume the stats bear that comment out

The stats are pretty overwhelming in terms of assists.

Drogba:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats?id=18727&cc=4716

Rooney:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats?id=21046&cc=4716

Quick sums on assists is 49 for Drogba and 78 for Rooney during the same period in all comps.

Not put a great deal of thought into it in case it's inaccurate and I'm not sure how reliable ESPN stats would be.

But anyway...

We're talking about the players as they stand, right now. I acknowedge that Drogba has made steady progress while Rooney has stagnated somewhat in the last 5 years.

But anyway, in the last 5 seasons, Drogba has a far better games to assists ratio in the league.

We're talking about the players as they stand, right now. I acknowedge that Drogba has made steady progress while Rooney has stagnated somewhat in the last 5 years.

But anyway, in the last 5 seasons, Drogba has a far better games to assists ratio in the league.

Again assuming those stats are right going back as far as 2004/2005 season inclusive statistically Rooney has outperformed Drogba four times while Drogba has outperformed Rooney twice.  All on goals and assists only.  Drogba has scored 2 more goals in all comps than Rooney over 6 seasons.

Lots of it is marginal, last season Drogba had 4 goals & assists more than Rooney.  2008/2009 Rooney had 8 goals and 12 assists more than Drogba.

Anyway to sum up I don't think the evidence is overwhelming to be honest.  Both have just had exceptional club seasons, Drogba playing in the stronger, more settled team helped him this season as it did Rooney the one before that.

Rooney has had a dip in form and confidence at the WC but there doesn't appear to be as much in it as you say, assuming we're talking about scoring and creating goals?