Rooney - - not firing on any cylinders

Rob W

He should hang his head in shame after this WC.

I want to know who these people that think he's as good as Ronaldo and Messi are though?

And you think Messi and Ronaldo would look as good for England? Rooney had a fanatastic season.

Give over, Rooney's played like an absolute cunt this tournament. Never gave 100% in any of the four games.

He was shit, but I thought we were talking about how good he was in comparison to the best players in the world? And effort isn't a reflection on good he actually is.

I think some of you are being too harsh. Yes, he was shit, but he only played four matches. The WC doesn't discount the awesome season he's had at Man Utd, where he played in a competition where the quality was higher (the CL) and was pretty darn good.

He's a fantastic player, top 3 in the world imo. One bad stretch of games - due to tiredness, imo - doesn't make him a shit player.

Guest firetotheworks

If anything, this has certainly made me understand the vociferous defence of Ibrahimovic by Mattis et al when were all calling him over-rated. I think anyone just watching the big games in the PL, the CL and the WC would say the same about Rooney.

Guest Heneage

He seems far more fired up when he plays for Man United than he ever does for England. It's very weird.

clearly injured whole tournament

Far too convenient an excuse.

imo, he never fully recovered from that injury that he got playing for man u. (against munich iirc :lol: )

Fergie to blame.

Not Fergie actually. It was Mario Gomez who injured him in that 90th minuted at the Allianz Arena. Considering that this maybe put Bayern through to the next round and now gave Germany a poor Rooney to play against shows why Gomez is worth 30 MIO.

imo, he never fully recovered from that injury that he got playing for man u. (against munich iirc :lol: )

Fergie to blame.

Not Fergie actually. It was Mario Gomez who injured him in that 90th minuted at the Allianz Arena. Considering that this maybe put Bayern through to the next round and now gave Germany a poor Rooney to play against shows why Gomez is worth 30 MIO.

Don't think he should have been brought back to play in the 2nd leg. I think Fergie was getting desparate. Wasn't convinced of his efforts to convince the media that he was ready at the time. Just typical fergie bullshitting, that was.

I think some of you are being too harsh. Yes, he was shit, but he only played four matches. The WC doesn't discount the awesome season he's had at Man Utd, where he played in a competition where the quality was higher (the CL) and was pretty darn good.

He's a fantastic player, top 3 in the world imo. One bad stretch of games - due to tiredness, imo - doesn't make him a shit player.

[move]HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA[/move]

Fergie to blame.

Don't think he should have been brought back to play in the 2nd leg. I think Fergie was getting desparate. Wasn't convinced of his efforts to convince the media that he was ready at the time. Just typical fergie bullshitting, that was.

Yes, I know that. What I meant was that there would have been no Rooney injury at all without Gomez.

Fergie to blame.

Yes, I know that. What I meant was that there would have been no Rooney injury at all without Gomez.

I know.... but he was just doing his job! I thought you were joking!

I was just elaborating further to what I think about this.

So you genuinely think Rooney is better than David Villa and Drogba?

he's probably top 10 at best, but the point stands - bad stretch of games at the wrong time

however, one thing Rooney has to correct, and quick, is his fucking attitude - remember when Shearer didn't score for 12 games for '96?  he wasn't standing about with his hands on his hips blaming other people for his his mistakes

something has gone in that boys head and it needs righting, quick...reminds me a little of how he left everton...felt they turned on him so he never so much as looked back, if he feels the press and fans have done the same for england he might never come back

Guest BooBoo

One Punch Carroll would have probably brought more to the party than Roeney. Horrenous tournament from him.

he's probably top 10 at best, but the point stands - bad stretch of games at the wrong time

however, one thing Rooney has to correct, and quick, is his fucking attitude - remember when Shearer didn't score for 12 games for '96?  he wasn't standing about with his hands on his hips blaming other people for his his mistakes

something has gone in that boys head and it needs righting, quick...reminds me a little of how he left everton...felt they turned on him so he never so much as looked back, if he feels the press and fans have done the same for england he might never come back

He's only scared of Sir Alex.

He's only scared of Sir Alex.

maybe a factor

Awful, absolutely awful. Shouldn't even be near the squad based on those performances.

:sadnod:

Anybody else and they'd have been dropped by now.

you two are f***ed, utterly f***ed if you believe that

He's played bad for four games and players who play bad should be dropped until they earn their place back in the team. What's 'fucked' about that?

Awful, absolutely awful. Shouldn't even be near the squad based on those performances.

He's played bad for four games and players who play bad should be dropped until they earn their place back in the team. What's 'fucked' about that?

"squad" was used actually, not team, and i'll refer you to Alan Shearer circa 1996 for an explanation.  In football you don't just abandon your best player(s) due to a temporary loss in form.  Everything in Rooney's career to date suggested he would have put in a performance sooner or later.  Later never came.

But then maybe you're right, if Heskey or Crouch had of started then things would have been very different I'm sure.

He's played bad for four games and players who play bad should be dropped until they earn their place back in the team. What's 'f***ed' about that?

"squad" was used actually, not team, and i'll refer you to Alan Shearer circa 1996 for an explanation.  In football you don't just abandon your best player(s) due to a temporary loss in form.  Everything in Rooney's career to date suggested he would have put in a performance sooner or later.  Later never came.

But then maybe you're right, if Heskey or Crouch had of started then things would have been very different I'm sure.

Unfortunately in a KNOCKOUT competition, you don't have time to wait for someone to put in a performance 'sooner or later'. Rooney needs to realise that this isn't good enough. He needs knocking down a peg and shown he's not as untouchable as he thinks he is.

There were moments today where I was thinking "Go on, dive in" and he just stood there. For Lampard's chance which came off the keeper, the two defenders managed to get the ball away under no pressure. 2-0 down, you should be throwing yourself at every ball.