The Liverpool Thread

Parky

God, I hate Liverpool. It was there before Dogleash, but with him its got worse. I still refuse to watch them on TV because the very thought of them makes my skin crawl - everything about them.

PhilB is a canny poster though :thup:

Daniel Agger:

"We have to win these types of games, no matter which kind of team we put out. We are Liverpool Football Club."

:facepalm:

That mentality pisses me right off :lol: Absolutely love that they won't get into Champions League this season.

Danish star Daniel Agger admitted that Liverpool looked like 'headless chickens' during their 0-0 draw with Swansea.

The withering assessment of the Reds performance came after they squandered yet more home points, as they drew a third successive match at Anfield.

Agger admits that their display against a battling Swansea was simply not good enough if they want to embark on a top-four challenge this season.

"Sometimes we looked like headless chickens running around after the ball," said Agger.

"I think everyone was angry and disappointed, some more than others, but that is the way it is.

"We were really, really bad. When we got the ball we lost it straight away. We were not sharp enough. We did not press well enough.

"There were so many things that were really disappointing, especially after we played okay last week.

"We have to win these types of games, no matter which kind of team we put out. We are Liverpool Football Club.

"If we play like this, we won't (get back into the top four). We have got to move up a level or two. I won't say it is not possible, because it is but it is up to the players.

"We are the only ones who can make a difference. We definitely have to do a lot better."

The money they've sent in 2011 is ludicrous.

They've bought Suarez, Carroll, Adam, Enrique, Downing, Henderson and Bellamy. Maybe I've missed a few.

Enrique sounds like he's settled in, Suarez has shown glimpses of true quality. The rest have been bloody awful.

Read loads of Liverpool fans on the net saying they're not worried about Arsenal's challenge for fourth because they're so reliant on RvP. Glass houses and all that.

Spurs are better than Liv. Better allround side. Gerrard is nearly finished and the inj are catching up with him now. He has basically been the main driving force for a while now.

Seems like ever since I said on here that Downing was one of the most improved players in the league that he's completely reverted to type, too. Been pretty poor so far this season.

Paid 20m for someone slightly better than Sameobi. :lol:

Seems like ever since I said on here that Downing was one of the most improved players in the league that he's completely reverted to type, too. Been pretty poor so far this season.

I think they bought him for Carroll. In theory him crossing in for Carroll should be dynamite. In reality though it's a £55 million pile of shite.

£20m? Jesus Christ, forgot it was that much...

I think they bought him for Carroll. In theory him crossing in for Carroll should be dynamite. In reality though it's a £55 million pile of shite.

:yao:

It doesn't work in theory either, unless you play him on the right. Downing cuts inside all the time, he's a glory seeker and would rather take the shot on, leaving the gap between him and Carroll when playing on the left hardly big enough for a decent pass never mind a cross. Better distance if Carroll was the right forward or downing the right winger with Carroll in his normal position, but Suarez likes that right spot and henderson is too shit to play anywhere else but the right wing.

Downing needs to change his game to help out Carroll, but I doubt he will, I doubt even KD even sees this problem.

Also, Henderson when in that spot needs to release the ball early in the air for Carroll to attack, like Barton used to, but unlike Barton, Henderson fancies himself as a bit of a winger, bit of a player who'll run with the ball and try to advance, and when he does finally put a ball in the entire defence is facing the right way to deal with carroll moving with pace, enough to get the jump on him and either nullify or disrupt Carrolls arial ability. Flatfooted defended with the early ball, that's what Carroll is all about, Liverpool don't have a player to provide him with it, apart from gerrard who'll spit his dummy if you put him on the right wing if he ever gets fit again.

It was probably unfair to label Bellamy as awful but he hasn't set the world alight either.

Adam has been as mediocre as most expected him to be.

It doesn't work in theory either, unless you play him on the right. Downing cuts inside all the time, he's a glory seeker and would rather take the shot on, leaving the gap between him and Carroll when playing on the left hardly big enough for a decent pass never mind a cross. Better distance if Carroll was the right forward or downing the right winger with Carroll in his normal position, but Suarez likes that right spot and henderson is too shit to play anywhere else but the right wing.

Downing needs to change his game to help out Carroll, but I doubt he will, I doubt even KD even sees this problem.

Also, Henderson when in that spot needs to release the ball early in the air for Carroll to attack, like Barton used to, but unlike Barton, Henderson fancies himself as a bit of a winger, bit of a player who'll run with the ball and try to advance, and when he does finally put a ball in the entire defence is facing the right way to deal with carroll moving with pace, enough to get the jump on him and either nullify or disrupt Carrolls arial ability. Flatfooted defended with the early ball, that's what Carroll is all about, Liverpool don't have a player to provide him with it, apart from gerrard who'll spit his dummy if you put him on the right wing if he ever gets fit again.

Nice points. It's a flawed system without a doubt, but even if in principle it worked it's never a gameplan that would get them anywhere.

Downing's a dependable player and can whip a canny ball in but really is a fairly limited player. The game has moved on from a wide man crossing in towards the big man. They've spent that £55 million on a tactic that is just not going to get them where they want to be with that money.

Compare them to City (now I know this is discounting wages) but you look at the linkup between Silva and Aguero who cost around the same and it's on another planet. Their play is so much more dynamic, varied, incisive and free-flowing. The only Liverpool player who could fit into that City front line and not look out of place is Suarez.

Before PhilB marches in and tells me Liverpool couldn't attract those two, they are just an example. There's numerous other players better than Downing and Carroll they could have signed and for less money too. Infact, they actually looked a better side LAST year when they had Meireles, Maxi Rodriguez and Kuyt in there.

They really have entrusted Dogleash with a frightening amount of cash. But when i look at their squad, there's so little that really frightens me.

I'd forgotten/never noticed that they finished runners-up the year we went down. I know the league has changed, what with that brand new Arab club gaining entrance to the league, but the Scousers look lightyears away from even challenging for runners-up.

Guest Heneage

Kenny has clearly made that mistake we all make on Football Manager where you accept a load of deals then realise you've got 8 wingers and only 1 left back. He wasn't buying with any ideas in mind, he was just hovering up any talent he could find. You look at us for example and how we know where our new players are going to play and how they fit into the system, there is no way Liverpool could say the same.