The Liverpool Thread

Parky

It was more the fact he wanted to replace him with Barry was the most outstanding thing. I know Rafa had mentioned the home-grown ruling for it, but howay man.

Aquilani was a more than capable replacement anyway, but due to his injury problems never really had a chance to get going. Even this season, Dalglish should have kept him and not wasted money on the likes of Henderson and Adam.

He wanted Barry because of the home grown rule and the fact he was versatile. 

Aquilani wanted to play in Italy and Dalglish won't have anyone that doesn't want to be here, thought Aqua was great myself and would have loved to keep him.  Apparently Torres wanted to change his mind on the last day but he was told it was too late as well.

:lol:

Whatever makes you sleep at night.

I don't need a player to want to stay to sleep at night, what a strange remark.  I wanted Torres gone in the summer before he left, whether he wanted to stay or go is irrelevent.

Hodgson: managed 31, won 13, lost nine.

Dalglish: managed 32, won 15, lost nine.

Sack him

Really? Not surprised like, anyone would think the fans hounded Hodgson out.

10 of Hodgsons games were in the Europa Cup but even if they were all league games his style of football was the most turgid I'd ever seen at Anfield.  Under KD the football is brilliant,  I love watching it and can't wait for the players to gel a bit more and start scoring from the many chances created.

Even brilliant when Carragher hoofs it long to Carroll? ;)

Carragher is practically the only one who hoofs it to Carroll.  I'd rather see Carroll as an impact player atm, our football is better without him in the team.  Hopefully our players will learn to play it on the ground with him in the team,  but if not then leave him out.

Sack him

10 of Hodgsons games were in the Europa Cup but even if they were all league games his style of football was the most turgid I'd ever seen at Anfield.  Under KD the football is brilliant,  I love watching it and can't wait for the players to gel a bit more and start scoring from the many chances created.

Carragher is practically the only one who hoofs it to Carroll.  I'd rather see Carroll as an impact player atm, our football is better without him in the team.  Hopefully our players will learn to play it on the ground with him in the team,  but if not then leave him out.

I think now Gerrard's back fit, when Carroll's playing you should see a difference in his play. Especially if Gerrard can drift into space on the right and whip balls into the box for him to get onto the end of.

I've got no sympathy at all for Carroll, but you can clearly see how short of confidence he is, and he's definitely carrying the burden of that price tag.

Guest elbee909

£35 million substitute who doesn't fit in your team, then. Smart move from Dalglish I assume.

Imagine if he was a Hodgson signing.

Of course it's smart.  You know NOTHING of Liverpool and it's LIVERPUDLIAN FOOTBALLING WAYS!

Sack him

Surely it's the coaches and MANAGER who need to learn to play it on the ground when Carroll is playing? Pretty sure the players aren't that stupid that an extra few inches on a player makes them suddenly unable to keep it down, it will be the managers instructions.

No offence to King Kenny obviously ;)

Suarez to Barca to replace Villa within 2 years.

If the price is right then fine, I accept that NO player has loyalty to any club,and if Suarez doesn't want to be here at some point then bye bye.  I trust our management and scouts to replace any player leaving.

If the price is right then fine, I accept that NO player has loyalty to any club,and if Suarez doesn't want to be here at some point then bye bye.  I trust our management and scouts to replace any player leaving.

What do you make of signing the likes of Adam and Henderson for over-inflated fees? Do you think it was the fact Dalglish had been out of management for so long, he just wanted to bring in some players who were already used to the Premier League, so they wouldn't need a bedding in period?

Sack him

Surely it's the coaches and MANAGER who need to learn to play it on the ground when Carroll is playing? Pretty sure the players aren't that stupid that an extra few inches on a player makes them suddenly unable to keep it down, it will be the managers instructions.

The manager has always told them to play it on the floor, he bought Downing, Enrique and Henderson to put crosses in from the wing. 

What do you make of signing the likes of Adam and Henderson for over-inflated fees? Do you think it was the fact Dalglish had been out of management for so long, he just wanted to bring in some players who were already used to the Premier League, so they wouldn't need a bedding in period?

Carroll, Henderson, Downing, Adam are all going through a 'bedding in period' though. Only Enrique has hit the ground running out of the domestic signings.

Sack him

The manager has always told them to play it on the floor, he bought Downing, Enrique and Henderson to put crosses in from the wing. 

lost the dressing room then

What's your take on Henderson? I really don't rate him, well not for that price anyway. He's got decent technical ability, but in my opinion he just doesn't have the heart to take games by the scruff of the neck.

I don't think 8 million and 16 million are over inflated fees, one is young and English, they'll always sell at a premium. I have seen signs from both players that they will be good buys for us and the idea of young English is what the owners wanted. 

Dalglish has never been involved in player fees or wages, he just says who he wants, and while the fact that he's been out so long makes no difference imo, he spent enough time at Anfield to know what he's doing.  I think  you're right he did want a good few English players for this season because we need to get back in to Europe, and PL players know what they're doing right away.

I don't think 8 million and 16 million are over inflated fees, one is young and English, they'll always sell at a premium. I have seen signs from both players that they will be good buys for us and the idea of young English is what the owners wanted. 

Dalglish has never been involved in player fees or wages, he just says who he wants, and while the fact that he's been out so long makes no difference imo, he spent enough time at Anfield to know what he's doing.  I think  you're right he did want a good few English players for this season because we need to get back in to Europe, and PL players know what they're doing right away.

why are english players "at a premium" ?

Carroll, Henderson, Downing, Adam are all going through a 'bedding in period' though. Only Enrique has hit the ground running out of the domestic signings.

Enrique is brilliant player, I can well understand why you didn't want to lose him.  At the time I'd rather have bought Clichy but I'm so glad we didn't.

I'd hate to see him leave Liverpool, but I have no illusions that if RM come sniffing a few years down the line he'll be off.  Best buy of the summer.

You're making decent points PhilB, but there's something about Liverpool supporters talking about Dalglish that just makes me feel sick.

We're the same with Keegan though, so we can't really have a go at them for it.

By we, I mean me and cp40.

Enrique is brilliant player, I can well understand why you didn't want to lose him.  At the time I'd rather have bought Clichy but I'm so glad we didn't.

I'd hate to see him leave Liverpool, but I have no illusions that if RM come sniffing a few years down the line he'll be off.  Best buy of the summer.

:thup:

You're making decent points PhilB, but there's something about Liverpool supporters talking about Dalglish that just makes me feel sick.

Aye, but for every you and cp40, there were people on the other side of the fence to even things out, and then you had me in somewhere in the middle. With the scouse, the likes of you and cp40 would seem conservative and balanced.

I've met Swedish Liverpool supporters who says things like they don't mind losing a game, because King Kenny is there. I find that sickening, and it's not made any better by the fact that I think he's no more than a decent manager with a red ugly face and that he's a whinging little twat.

Aye, but for every you and cp40, there were people on the other side of the fence to even things out, and then you had me in somewhere in the middle. With the scouse, the likes of you and cp40 would seem conservative and balanced.

I've met Swedish Liverpool supporters who says things like they don't mind losing a game, because King Kenny is there. I find that sickening, and it's not made any better by the fact that I think he's no more than a decent manager with a red ugly face and that he's a whinging little t***.

A no more than decent manager who has won trophies, not many of them around are there?