Luis Suárez

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest mrainey

I can't believe this discussion is even taking place. It's like the president's bodyguard takes a bullet and next you hear the assassin yelling "Waaait WTF, he can't do that, that's cheating!". Suarez looks like a diving prick. But. What he did there was what every other sane professional would do, and it's to give his country a straw to cling on to. There was no alternative. I'd do the same thing 1000 out of 1000 times. Branding him a cheat for this act and appealing to alleged "sportsmanship" or "the spirit of the game" is just...rainbow farting.

Btw. Football is a game... not matter life & dead... using that analogy is total bollock.

Cheers, I'll do well to remember that.

I can't believe this discussion is even taking place. It's like the president's bodyguard takes a bullet and next you hear the assassin yelling "Waaait WTF, he can't do that, that's cheating!". Suarez looks like a diving prick. But. What he did there was what every other sane professional would do, and it's to give his country a straw to cling on to. There was no alternative. I'd do the same thing 1000 out of 1000 times. Branding him a cheat for this act and appealing to alleged "sportsmanship" or "the spirit of the game" is just...rainbow farting.

Btw. Football is a game... not matter life & dead... using that analogy is total bollock.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Didnt Dabizas and Caldwell do something similar a few year back?

Aye but Dabizas did it after like 5 mins had been played, fucking idiot. A man and a goal down from the off. Can't remember who it was against, Wigan maybe? Mackams?

Blackburn away iirc, lost something like 5-2, Shearer brace.

Guest malandro

Didnt Dabizas and Caldwell do something similar a few year back?

Solano did (against Spurs)

If Suarez had handled on the line in the first minute not the last there would be none of this hysterical nonsense.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm in tears.

Guest mrainey

Like I've already said I'm a hypocrite because I can't say I wouldn't of done the same in his position. No matter how I tried to justify it though I'd still be a cheat. That's why it should be taken out the players hands in a situation such as this. Suarez shouldn't have been given the chance to be the martyr.

But why not? It was well within regular time, a decent shot, he hand balled it, got sent off and gave away a last minute penalty. Every single thing by the book. Morally right? Yes. Because he knew he wouldn't get away with it. And he didn't.

Like I've already said I'm a hypocrite because I can't say I wouldn't of done the same in his position. No matter how I tried to justify it though I'd still be a cheat. That's why it should be taken out the players hands in a situation such as this. Suarez shouldn't have been given the chance to be the martyr.

But why not? It was well within regular time, a decent shot, he hand balled it, got sent off and gave away a last minute penalty. Every single thing by the book. Morally right? Yes. Because he knew he wouldn't get away with it. And he didn't.

...but he did get away with it. Had he not hand balled it would his team be going home? Yes. Are his team still in the world cup because of his blatent act of cheating? Yes.

Go to be personal choice but seriously frowned upon. And by that I mean the managers should drop them out of principle. Or banned from he national team for a bit (hard when he's just taken them to the semi's like)

I'm not saying its doable, but its as unrealistic as taking out of the players hands.

Sportsmanship over interference. 

Guest malandro

...but he did get away with it. Had he not hand balled it would his team be going home? Yes. Are his team still in the world cup because of his blatent act of cheating? Yes.

No. Handball isn’t cheating. Cheating is pretending the ball stayed in when you know it went out of play, feigning injury, intimidating the referee. Hand ball is a plain and simple foul.

No. Handball isn’t cheating. Cheating is pretending the ball stayed in when you know it went out of play, feigning injury, intimidating the referee. Hand ball is a plain and simple foul.

So was Maradona a cheat? Or did he just commit a foul? Diving is a foul by the letter of the law. So every time a player goes on his arse to get another player booked is he committing a foul or cheating?

I guess it boils down to what you subjectively feel consitutes cheating.

If someone handballed on the line, got sent off and the opposition team scored the penalty and went on to win 3-0, not one person in the world would consider the guy who got sent off a cheat.

Err...yes? :lol: Of course he'd still be called a cheat. It'd just be less uproar.

If someone handballed on the line, got sent off and the opposition team scored the penalty and went on to win 3-0, not one person in the world would consider the guy who got sent off a cheat.

They probably would, but this whole debate regarding should a goal be awarded to the attacking team wouldn't of surfaced.

Guest mrainey

...but he did get away with it. Had he not hand balled it would his team be going out the world cup? Yes. Are his team still in the world cup because of his blatent act of cheating? Yes.

Actually he didn't. He got sent off and gave away a penalty. What he did was illegal, and for it he was accordingly sanctioned. The circumstance was such that in the end his team progressed, 99.99% "thanks" to the incident he was the catalyst of.

I ask you one thing. Would we be having this discussion now if Ghana had converted the penalty? My guess is no. It would be mentioned that Suarez was the guy who got sent off and gave away a penalty which Ghana had then converted. Voila, everyone is happy, Suarez serves a match ban and no one ever mentions this penalty again.

He's ultimately branded a cheat not for the act, but for the consequence of it.

Guest malandro

So was Maradona a cheat? Or did he just commit a foul? Diving is a foul by the letter of the law. So every time a player goes on his arse to get another player booked is he committing a foul or cheating?

The rules aren’t subjective. Handball is a foul and players commit fouls all the time. For example, Pantsil tripped one of the Uruguayans in the box during tonight’s game. If the referee had seen it and awarded a pen Uruguay may well have won the game before extra time and Suarez wouldn’t have been sent off, and he wouldn’t have missed the semi. 

...but he did get away with it. Had he not hand balled it would his team be going out the world cup? Yes. Are his team still in the world cup because of his blatent act of cheating? Yes.

Actually he didn't. He got sent off and gave away a penalty. What he did was illegal, and for it he was accordingly sanctioned. The circumstance was such that in the end his team progressed, 99.99% "thanks" to the incident he was the catalyst of.

I ask you one thing. Would we be having this discussion now if Ghana had converted the penalty? My guess is no. It would be mentioned that Suarez was the guy who got sent off and gave away a penalty which Ghana had then converted. Voila, everyone is happy, Suarez serves a match ban and no one ever mentions this penalty again.

He's ultimately branded a cheat not for the act, but for the consequence of it.

He'd still be cheat even if got away with it, as I said in the post above I very much doubt we'd be having the discussion of a penalty goal though.

Fact is he suffered indivdually but the nature of his act was to 'take one for the team' and in that respect he got away with it. Hence taking it out of his hands and awarding the goal would be a punishment to fit the crime.

Guest mrainey

That's an interesting comparison. But I feel the similarity stops with the fact that both incidents were handballs, and as you've said, with this approach we bring into discussion pretty much every intentional foul ever committed in the game.

The rules aren’t subjective. Handball is a foul and players commit fouls all the time. For example, Pantsil tripped one of the Uruguayans in the box during tonight’s game. If the referee had seen it and awarded a pen Uruguay may well have won the game before extra time and Suarez wouldn’t have been sent off, and he wouldn’t have missed the semi. 

So a foul is a foul and cheating doesn't come into it? When a player dives is he commiting a foul or cheating? When a player deliberately punches the ball into the net is he cheating or mearly commiting a foul? Some fouls are classed as fouls because for the rules to permit them would mean a team could gain an advantage through foul play.

For me subjectively both incidents are a foul but they're also cheating. So is punching the ball of your own goal line to prevent a goal.