Non Europe/SA winning the WC

Village Idiot

Guest BooBoo

In terms of performance at WCs, African sides have barely improved in twenty years. The US are probably the best bet, especially if FIFA let them host another one.

Mexico will be first.

They've been hampered in the past by their insularity. Until fairly recently the national squad was drawn from a group of players that had played exclusively in Mexico. Now younger players are pursuing careers in Europe and that is going to be important for them. They've always been pretty predictable; we (the US) have been able to beat them pretty consistently over the past 20 years now (away from Azteca) because we know the Mexican game and know better than to let them "play".

I think they've progressed into the second round in each of the past five World Cups (94-2010). They progressed in 86 as well; who knows how they would've done in 90 but were disqualified from Italy. They keep getting knocked out by the likes of Argentina or Germany. Or losing on penalties. That's pretty consistent and impressive.

That's still not what the OP means. :laugh:

EDIT: Fuck me, of course it is, ignore this.

Just because they speak Spanish that doesn't make them South-American :lol:

I'm not sure about Mexico. Utterly corrupt structures (having to pay off managers to get starts, ridiculous), and I'm still not seeing that many more players making it abroad. In that regard, the fact that the Mexican league is pretty rich might be holding them back. Very solid performers in WCs, however.

I think several African clubs have the potential to do it but they need to build up their coaches and organisation. They are at the stage where the missionaries visited South America at the moment, and it did take a few decades for South America to develop.

Many teams can do it though, they just need to find their once in a lifetime player, e.g. Puskas and Hungary.

When did Hungary win the World Cup like?

And if you're first point is football related I'm fairly certain Uruguay (South America won the first WC)

I'm not sure about Mexico. Utterly corrupt structures (having to pay off managers to get starts, ridiculous), and I'm still not seeing that many more players making it abroad. In that regard, the fact that the Mexican league is pretty rich might be holding them back. Very solid performers in WCs, however.

They're predominately a bunch of short arses n all which is not particularly helpful. Didn't know the league was so bad for corruption like.

I don't see any reason it can't happen. If you can get to the knockout stage anything can happen really. All the West African teams, Egypt, US, Mexico, and Korea could all get a run and do it, imo. If you look at Holland they've only played one top tier team.

Guest BooBoo

You're right- anything can happen, except African sides having the tactical nous and players to take on the top sides. :-)

Maybe because they're not going to Spain  :pow:....mostly England and Holland and they haven't actually made it yet.  Strikers to England: Vela, Hernandez, dos Santos, Barrera. Defenders to Holland: Moreno, Salcido, Rodriguez. 

Have Vela, Hernández, Barrera, Dos Santos made it abroad already? News to me as they have all just moved or failed to impress so far. Won't judge the others' careers as I don't follow much the Eredivisie.

I don't see many more Mexican players succeeding than in the times of Hugo Sánchez. I agree that it looks it might change in the next years.

You're right- anything can happen, except African sides having the tactical nous and players to take on the top sides. :-)

They might start by hiring national team managers from their own countries and giving them more than a month or two to get the side organized prior to the finals.

Have Vela, Hernández, Barrera, Dos Santos made it abroad already? News to me as they have all just moved or failed to impress so far. Won't judge the others' careers as I don't follow much the Eredivisie.

I don't see many more Mexican players succeeding than in the times of Hugo Sánchez.

No; you're right. They haven't actually made it yet. But they are trying and that's different.

In terms of performance at WCs, African sides have barely improved in twenty years. The US are probably the best bet, especially if FIFA let them host another one.

This could be the key. Personally, I hope to God they don't get 2022 (because I want Australia to get it!), but if the Yanks do get the World Cup then they should be setting the goal of winning that tournament.

Until poor kids in the states start playing football in greater numbers they'll not produce enough players with enough magic to lift them above the ordinary in my opinion - they'll remain what they are now, a well-drilled physical side with good tactical analysis by their coach(es).

American kids will gravitate towards their own sports as that's where the money is for them, simples.  Plus their own sports are too dominant, as football is with us.

As regards African nations they really should develop like Brazil but I honestly think the lack of planning, support and infrastructure at club level there will continue to hold them back.  Africa's too chaotic to take football seriously, however if European clubs start linking up with African ones and put money into the game over there they'll be contenders before the Americans will.

It's not like Ghana were a million miles off getting to the Semi-finals. All that is needed is a competent team, the right draw and some luck, get the right combination of all that hoodoo and any nation could win it.

Ghana need a proper good striker like Didier Drogba. Gyan doesn't really cut it. Otherwise they have some great players (Essien et al).

Ghana are liable to better in the next World Cup should they qualify. Their young team will have more experience in theory and they can build off this years disappointment. A few more of their under 20 champions might be playing regularly in Europe by then n all.