Win 1-0 or Lose 4-3

Cajun
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

But David28, what makes you think that we won't be having the same argumet in 12 months time.   We will stay up most likely, but survival and shit football will be the order of the day then as well because Ashley wont invest in the Club

At what point will people be saying they want to see some decent football? 

When we're a comfortable Premier League side?

No one is saying they'd prefer shit football over good football if the outcome is the same, what they're saying is that they're prefer shit football and winning over good football and losing. If we can play like Ajax '95 and stay up then fantastic, who wouldn't want that? If we need to play ugly to keep hold of our Premier League status then that's much preferable to getting relegated and putting the future of the club in jepordy. Again.

At the end of the day this is all moot. Shortening the width of the pitch doesn't mean we're going to try and emulate Stoke or Fat Sam's Bolton, it can mean any number of things. Last season Hughton showed he very much favoured an attacking style of play at home hence the reason he invested in players like Routledge.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Go down fighting = thats the best we can do and we're still shit. We can't improve.

Stay up ugly = we're winning shit, but at least we can improve.

I'm not sure what the issue is. If we beat Man U 1-0 next season, even if it is the worst game in world history for the neutral, we'll be praising Chris Hughton and this group of lads until the end of time. Think this is an early contender for most pointless 'discussion' of the season.

Guest Brummiemag

But David Icke, we won't be  a 'comfortable' Premier League side with Ashley in charge, surely you can see that he would be happy for us to maintain our premier status whilst investing as little as possible.

At best we will be a Wigan or Stoke and I'm sorry if you think Im arrogant but our level of support means we should be aspiring to something better than that.

But we won't be  a 'comfortable' Premier League side with Ashley in charge, surely you can see that he would be happy for us to maintain our premier status whilst investing as little as possible.

At best we will be a Wigan or Stoke and I'm sorry if you think Im arrogant but our level of support means we should be aspiring to something better than that.

How is hypothetically maximising our chances of getting relegated again going to help that?

But David Icke, we won't be  a 'comfortable' Premier League side with Ashley in charge, surely you can see that he would be happy for us to maintain our premier status whilst investing as little as possible.

The saying 'don't run before you can walk' comes to mind.

I think the thread should be closed due to the misleading options.

Everyone of us would want to stay up surely, but we can still stay up playing good football, which isn't taken into consideration here. We will stay up playing better football than at least 10 teams in our division I say (in hope).

just wondering if anyone thinks we have the personnel to win ugly ?

:nope:

At this time we've essentially got the same squad that we had last season, these players are going to be up against much better players who can take advantage of the time and space our one paced midfield give them.

I don't know if it's a mixture of optimism/pessimism and realism, or what - but I think it's time we all 'believed' in our team. Given that they jizzed all over the championship.

If this season we set up and play defensively without much attacking threat (also known on here as "playing shit") and get enough scrappy draws and lucky wins to be 17th at Christmas will everyone who is now saying that all that matters is just getting the results to keep us up be praising Hughton and the players for being on course for their stated aim? I wonder...

We can demand attractive football when we assure our premier league status for the next 2-3 years, and we have an owner that is willing to pay for footballers that actually play decent football that cost more than our current transfer targets for this season. Unfortunately we are no longer at that stage and need to rebuild to get back to that stage.

When does this rebuilding start? How do we assure our premier league status for the next 2-3 years without starting that rebuilding now? Why does it have to be next season or the one after that? What gives you any confidence that if we don't spend anything significant this year to help keep a newly promoted team up that we will next season to improve? Say we do finish 17th this season, how will we be any better off than we are now? I think we'll actually be less attractive to players, to TV schedulers, and to supporters. We certainly wont be on TV as much at the start of next season as we're going to be on this if we scrape to safety playing poor football, so there'll be less coming in year on year and we'll eventually lose the financial advantage over a lot of other clubs that for the moment we still have. Maybe people are still hanging on to this pipe dream of a bunch of the youth team becoming good premiership players (and us subsequently being able to hang on to them) and we'll rise up the table on the back of that? It's not going to happen, it really isn't.

This season we will have a significantly larger turnover than most other teams in this division, the wages are down to a manageable level, and if we don't spend much on transfers the club should make a handsome profit this year. Why should we not expect the club to spend money on a few good players now which might make this season a bit more comfortable?

If this season we set up and play defensively without much attacking threat (also known on here as "playing s***") and get enough scrappy draws and lucky wins to be 17th at Christmas will everyone who is now saying that all that matters is just getting the results to keep us up be praising Hughton and the players for being on course for their stated aim? I wonder...

...behave.  :dave:

If this season we set up and play defensively without much attacking threat (also known on here as "playing s***") and get enough scrappy draws and lucky wins to be 17th at Christmas will everyone who is now saying that all that matters is just getting the results to keep us up be praising Hughton and the players for being on course for their stated aim? I wonder...

I'm not sure that we've got the players to play that way and get the points that we would need to be in that position.  Our defence was by far our strongest position last season, they'll not stand up to constant pressure against Premiership players.

It isn't really misleading, it's fairly straight forward imo.

Aye, well, your opinion is wrong, as always, tbf.

If you can't understand it that's your problem professor hawking but no-one else seems to have had too many struggles working it out.

It isn't really misleading, it's fairly straight forward imo.

Aye, well, your opinion is wrong, as always, tbf.

If you can't understand it that's your problem professor hawking but no-one else seems to have had too many struggles working it out.

It's your problem mate, as their is currently no other person designated to shovel up the s**** you constantly talk.

Who gave this child a sip of their shandy? Honestly if you don't understand I don't know what I can do for you. It's as straight forward as I could have made it and if everyone else has understood it I am not sure if it's worth trying dumb it down just  for you.

Maybe we can find something for you to colour in, don't go out of the lines though little fella.