The other games today - 2010/11

clintdempsey

And where was the advantage?

Ball was in the keeper's hands.

Aye, but advantage isn't a 1 second advantage - referee's have pulled back play for 5/6 seconds ahead before. It's clear that it wasn't an advantage so he should have pulled back for the freekick.

It was a goal.

In 95% of cases, the ref plays advantage in that situation, allowing the keeper to clear the ball quickly rather than making them take a free kick from the same spot that they gathered it. Gomes didn't have his brain in gear.

The advantage is that the keeper is able to clear the ball quickly rather than stop play to take a free kick. As I said, that's how refs handle that situation nearly all the time.

This isn't rugby, where refs can let the play carry on for a minute or so and then bring things back if the advantage doesn't materialise.

Aye, but advantage isn't a 1 second advantage - referee's have pulled back play for 5/6 seconds ahead before. It's clear that it wasn't an advantage so he should have pulled back for the freekick.

I am not sure you can have a greater advantage than your goalkeeper having the ball in his hands. He literally cant be challenged for the ball. He made the decision to throw it to the ground thinking it was a free kick.

Dreadful refereeing for not making any of it clear to the players but Gomes has to take a lot of responsibility for what happened.

I am not sure you can have a greater advantage than your goalkeeper having the ball in his hands. He literally cant be challenged for the ball. He made the decision to throw it to the ground thinking it was a free kick.

Dreadful refereeing for not making any of it clear to the players but Gomes has to take a lot of responsibility for what happened.

It's got nowt to do with the fact he was holding the ball - it's a timing thing - it wasn't an advantage.

If a player goes down in the centre circle but the ball lands at his teammate, advantage is given. If he then plays ball is played to an opponent, the referee brings play back. He has the ball, he has the perfect advantage, but if it doesn't serve enough of an advantage within a short period of time after the referee's decision, it's brought back.

It's got nowt to do with the fact he was holding the ball - it's a timing thing - it wasn't an advantage.

If a player goes down in the centre circle but the ball lands at his teammate, advantage is given. If he then plays ball is played to an opponent, the referee brings play back. He has the ball, he has the perfect advantage, but if it doesn't serve enough of an advantage within a short period of time after the referee's decision, it's brought back.

Genuine question. Is that the official rule?

Genuine question. Is that the official rule?

I don't know, but if it's not, then all referees have been doing it wrong for the past 10 years that I've watched football.

f***ing City and their stupid spending. :lol:

Just dawned on me that Chelsea paid £60m for Drogba, Lampard and Essien, and City paid £50m for Lescott and Milner. There's absolutely no excuse for it. They're getting exactly what they deserve; rubbish performances from players motivated by money.

Chelsea thrown some serious money at average players/flops aswell though.

£17 million for Duff?

£10 million for Parker

£15 million for Veron

£21 million for Wright Phillips (!)

£8 million for Del Horno

£30 million for Sheva

£8.5 million for Bhoularouz

For every solid, top-level signing there have been some bum deals aswell.

I agree though that City are on another level of wastage - even if the market has inflated since the start of Chelsea's spending.

A minute. :lol:

It would have been less than 10 seconds.

You get the point though. In football, the ref has to make a fairly quick decision as to whether an advantage has been gained. There's no time limit, but it's a lot quicker than rugby.

I've no sympathy with Gomes here, because he should have anticipated that the ref would not have stopped play. Keepers are considered to have an advantage by already having the ball in their hands. Once a ref decides that an advantage has been gained, they can't take it back.