Hatem Ben Arfa

Guest sicko2ndbest

"I think if we gain in confidence, we can go and get the title.

"I think the only thing that makes a difference is the confidence. We really have good footballers here. If we carry on like this, then we can do something."

he was probably talking about future seasons. no doubt sh1t redtop newspaper again taking someone's words and putting them in the wrong context maybe?

"I think if we gain in confidence, we can go and get the title.

"I think the only thing that makes a difference is the confidence. We really have good footballers here. If we carry on like this, then we can do something."

he was probably talking about future seasons. no doubt sh1t redtop newspaper again taking someone's words and putting them in the wrong context maybe?

Even if he was talking about the future, how many on here would actually dare to say the 't' word... ever?

HBA is a fucking legend.

Guest BEN BEN BEN ARFA

the last time who said that Marseille won the championship

and we had 10 or 12 points behind a truce

I Have a Dream

Ben Arfa assist to BA for the goal.  But they still can't play together.

Problem Ronaldo.

:troll:

Seriously though, I think they could form a very good partnership, HBA has set him up for two decent chances now, away from home against the two best teams in the league.  Once we start getting more possession, they develop more of an understanding and HBA gets some sharpness back, I reckon they will do well together. 

I'm a big fan of Best, but we rely too heavily on punting it up to him.  After this weekend, we should be looking to keep the ball down and get the likes of Cabaye and HBA into the game.

They've started up front together 3 times now and they've haven't shown any signs of developing a good partnership to me, and the lack of goals with them both in those roles speaks volumes. Nowt at Blackburn, nowt at City, and a lucky penalty at OT.

If we're going to play Ben Arfa up there we need someone to turn lose balls into possession, and that isn't Ba, never will be. Conversely, you simply can't drop Ba because he's the only natural goalscorer we have, apart from arguably Best. Ba also needs someone to play higher up the park than him to thrive as a goalscorer.

Keep perpetuating this 4-4-1-1 nonsense but it'll eventually cost us if we stick with it for too long. Square pegs don't fit in round holes.

They've started up front together 3 times now and they've haven't shown any signs of developing a good partnership to me, and the lack of goals with them both in those roles speaks volumes. Nowt at Blackburn, nowt at City, and a lucky penalty at OT.

If we're going to play Ben Arfa up there we need someone to turn lose balls into possession, and that isn't Ba, never will be. Conversely, you simply can't drop Ba because he's the only natural goalscorer we have, apart from arguably Best. Ba also needs someone to play higher up the park than him to thrive as a goalscorer.

Keep perpetuating this 4-4-1-1 nonsense but it'll eventually cost us if we stick with it for too long. Square pegs don't fit in round holes.

Dumbfounds me how people dont understand this, really does.  :fool:

Guest Haris Vuckic

But he didn't. With Best in the team he'd probably have been on the end of more than one good chance.

If someone else played that perfect lay off would Ba have done it any different?

the way go on you'd think best was a workaholic, he's not. he tends to win a lot in the air which leads to us going longer and higher instead of keeping possession. more of an issue is our old problem of a lack of getting forward from the midfield (rob lee style) to support the striker

the way go on you'd think best was a workaholic, he's not. he tends to win a lot in the air which leads to us going longer and higher instead of keeping possession. more of an issue is our old problem of a lack of getting forward from the midfield (rob lee style) to support the striker

Agree with you partly. Having a forward who is good in the air is a great excuse to pump it long, but I think that's

a) harsh on Best's contribution to the team

b) caused more by full-backs who aren't comfortable on the ball

Best is actually pretty vital for holding the ball up when the ball is played to his feet, and he encourages our often deep-lying midfielders forward very well. Ben Arfa has been pretty good at transitioning us from defence to attack too - though obviously using a much different style! Ben Arfa and Ba are improving together, and time may prove me wrong, but so far the best I've seen us play this season is with Best as a key component. He's very difficult to pick up for such a big guy and he pulls/stretches defences forward by dropping deep, and creates space for Ba/midfielders around him.

The temptation to knock it long is a problem, but can be addressed by transitioning Santon into the side IMO. Simpson is quite adept at knowing when it's good to knock it long IMO. :thup:

Agree with you partly. Having a forward who is good in the air is a great excuse to pump it long, but I think that's

Best is actually pretty vital for holding the ball up when the ball is played to his feet, and he encourages our often deep-lying midfielders forward very well. Ben Arfa has been pretty good at transitioning us from defence to attack too - though obviously using a much different style! Ben Arfa and Ba are improving together, and time may prove me wrong, but so far the best I've seen us play this season is with Best as a key component. He's very difficult to pick up for such a big guy and he pulls/stretches defences forward by dropping deep, and creates space for Ba/midfielders around him.

The temptation to knock it long is a problem, but can be addressed by transitioning Santon into the side IMO. Simpson is quite adept at knowing when it's good to knock it long IMO. :thup:

you also have to bare in mind the teams that the ben arfa/ba combo has played against.

you also have to bare in mind the teams that the ben arfa/ba combo has played against.

Good point. Interesting to see how they fare against teams which sit deeper against us. Losing possession will be more costly in such circumstances I would imagine. I think the Ben Arfa/Ba partnership is more likely to lose the ball often since it's a little less measured/controlled than our slower, probing style.

Good point. Interesting to see how they fare against teams which sit deeper against us. Losing possession will be more costly in such circumstances I would imagine. I think the Ben Arfa/Ba partnership is more likely to lose the ball often since it's a little less measured/controlled than our slower, probing style.

will it lose more possession than the longer, in the air style we use with best ?