Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

Guest Brazilianbob

All the new rule means is the big clubs who have a massive turnover will be able to afford to buy the cream of the talent.  The clubs with lower turnover will be unable to speculate financially in order to step up to the next level.

Its just a case of the rich clubs cementing their position at the top.

When the lesser teams need to sell, they will no longer be able to start a bidding war to get sums like £35m, because the financial rules will prevent huge fees from the majority of clubs, so selling clubs will instead have to accept whatever the big clubs decide to throw at them, like scraps of food off their table.

All the new rule means is the big clubs who have a massive turnover will be able to afford to buy the cream of the talent.  The clubs with lower turnover will be unable to speculate financially in order to step up to the next level.

Its just a case of the rich clubs cementing their position at the top.

When the lesser teams need to sell, they will no longer be able to start a bidding war to get sums like £35m, because the financial rules will prevent huge fees from the majority of clubs, so selling clubs will instead have to accept whatever the big clubs decide to throw at them, like scraps of food off their table.

bidding war ? honestly can't remember the last one.

Have seen a few Arsenal and Chelsea fans dismiss Tiote because he's an 'unknown'.

My mate who's an Arsenal fan said he'd love him there, and that was before the game on Saturday. I really hope we can hold onto him over the summer, there will definitely be some "big clubs" in for him though.

Why not worry about this in the summer? No point in ruining 4 months of football fretting over something like this. He's ours till then no matter what. Is it going to be like this every time we get a decent player through the doors? Or are we just so used to signing shite upon shite we can't handle having decent players at the club?

And if good footballers wanting to prove themselves see us as a stepping stone off selling the like of Carroll and Tiote for daft money then so be it, as there will come a time when we can hold on to them for good and hopefully if we've done it right we've got a really healthy bank balance in the process.

That's the only way we can look at it philosophically. In a year or two we might be in a position to pay wages like th CL clubs, in the meantime if we can hold onto our best players great, if we can't at least we can get big enough money to improve the squad overall at the expense of losing one player. Then keep our fingers crossed Pardew knows how to spot a player.

Such a brilliant player, don't call me a racist, but it's rare you see an African player which such culture and technical ability in his play. I'll be honest, at first (and from what I saw of him in the WC) I thought this may be another naive, Martins type signing. But, this lad is incredible. His tackling, touch and passing are all impeccable. Top, top player.

there will for sure be bids for him in the summer, we have shown we are willing to sell our best players if the price is right. just hope he grows close to the club and at least stays another season.

Such a brilliant player, don't call me a racist, but it's rare you see an African player which such culture and technical ability in his play. I'll be honest, at first (and from what I saw of him in the WC) I thought this may be another naive, Martins type signing. But, this lad is incredible. His tackling, touch and passing are all impeccable. Top, top player.

He reads the game pretty well as well, like.

We can't sell any more of our best players tbh. The little attraction this club has will continue to shrink if we show how little ambition we have by selling them.

We sold one player 4 35 Mil bloody hell, its not like we're selling anybody for just any old bid. The only player who has gone for less than he should have was Given. Trust me Tiote won't go for less than 15 mil and the Carroll bid may actually be good news as clubs will realise that we will only acceept big offers for our big players.

We can't sell any more of our best players tbh. The little attraction this club has will continue to shrink if we show how little ambition we have by selling them.

We sold one player 4 35 Mil bloody hell, its not like we're selling anybody for just any old bid. The only player who has gone for less than he should have was Given. Trust me Tiote won't go for less than 15 mil and the Carroll bid may actually be good news as clubs will realise that we will only acceept big offers for our big players.

I've been saying this for months mate, I wouldn't expect much joy with it!

I fear if a bid of £15m comes in for Tiote, he will be sold.

And is that such a bad deal that means that combined with the Carroll sale we have made 46.5 Mill of profit. Considering the state of the PL the money we're getting may just help keep us up whent he clubs around us start folding. But I'm not even sure what I said is just right because if Fat Mike would sell a player who didn't cost us anything for 35 mil how much would he sell one who actually cost us money???/

So what are you getting at? It's not like we have an abundance of class players. Selling the few we have basically is hopeless.

It's all about the replacements. I can get over any player leaving, if we bring in someone to cover them.

How much did Essien go for, that should be our bench mark? He's no worse than Essien, in fact dare i say.... na i won't ;)

It's all about the replacements. I can get over any player, if we bring in someone to cover them.

How much did Essien go for, that should be our bench mark? He's no worse than Essien, in fact dare i say.... na i won't ;)

Get over Tioté? Blasphemy tbh.

The only thing I would say about selling players for big profits is that it also carries an opportunity cost (a concept Mike Ashley should understand).

Yes selling Carroll for 35 or even Tiote for 15/20 are hard bids to turn down, but they don't always make you as much money as you think. Say we have to sign 2 or 3 strikers before we find one that's a success... suddenly we've wasted a big chunk of the Carroll fee anyway.

Hopefully the focus isn't just on simple purchase price v sale price calculations.

Yes but we will buy new players for cheap prices. I mean we got tiote and Ben Arfa for only 8 Million comined. I'm sure we could get more like that plus the deal came in very late on the deadine day, as others have pointed out, NOT buying a player may have helped prevent us from a panic buying like Luque.

So what are you getting at? It's not like we have an abundance of class players. Selling the few we have basically is hopeless.

Yes but we got HBA and tiote for 8 MIL COMBINED. That is a bloody good deal. The only reason we didn't but anyone new for Carroll is cause it was like 6 hours before the deadline. Bloody good as well cause our history of panic buys (as people have mentioned before) is pretty s***. Just wait till the summer as we'll get some new good young cheap players in. Plus selling players who were FREE/COST NOTHING, for over fifteen million isn't stupidity. It's brains/

I fear if a bid of £15m comes in for Tiote, he will be sold.

And is that such a bad deal that means that combined with the Carroll sale we have made 46.5 Mill of profit. Considering the state of the PL the money we're getting may just help keep us up whent he clubs around us start folding. But I'm not even sure what I said is just right because if Fat Mike would sell a player who didn't cost us anything for 35 mil how much would he sell one who actually cost us money???/

What a stupid comment.

Look we're all getting very worked up over something that probably won't happen. I mean I honestly don't see Tiote ACTUALLY leaving. I know everyone looks at Carroll but there are some major differences. Carroll wwas english meaning that LOTS of clubs wanted him for Brit pride and plus he went for the ALL TIME record signing for an englishman. Unless Tiote puts in a transfer request like Carroll we will not sell him and plus if we do it will be at a VERY high price

I'd hope Tiote and Enrique would give us one more chance - let us spend this £35m and see what we can build. If we don't qualify for Europe next season then, reluctantly, you can leave. Would be a horrible day though. Would say £15m for Enrique and £22m for Tiote.

Yes but we will buy new players for cheap prices. I mean we got tiote and Ben Arfa for only 8 Million comined. I'm sure we could get more like that plus the deal came in very late on the deadine day, as others have pointed out, NOT buying a player may have helped prevent us from a panic buying like Luque.

Yes but we got HBA and tiote for 8 MIL COMBINED. That is a bloody good deal. The only reason we didn't but anyone new for Carroll is cause it was like 6 hours before the deadline. Bloody good as well cause our history of panic buys (as people have mentioned before) is pretty s***. Just wait till the summer as we'll get some new good young cheap players in. Plus selling players who were FREE/COST NOTHING, for over fifteen million isn't stupidity. It's brains/

I liked sibierski!

Guest Stephen927

We could sell Tiote in the summer for £15m easily, but it would cost about that to replace him. Unless we strike lucky again.