Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

Very pleased with the news, however i thought we were dead set against giving players new contrats when they were just a few months into one?

at the very least it means we will get a large sum for him if he is sold.

Nah, I think we're just dead against bowing to player demands when they've just had a pay rise.

I get the feeling this was driven by the club in order to make Tiote's position more secure, and to reward him for a brilliant season. Bit different to the Carroll situation IMO.

Its not really, giving the player more money to ward off any interest they might have in leaving either way. Whether they asked for it or its given really doesnt mean much. In one situation we were offered 35m, thats the only difference.

Using the logic employed thus far in this thread, I bet Villa won't offer Ashley Young a new contract because he's just going to leave anyway if somebody bids a STUPID amount of money for him. Pointless trying to keep him if Man U etc are contemplating maybe perhaps bidding for him one day maybe in the future perhaps maybe maybe maybe.

How do you define 'stupid' money in modern football?

relative to the club and the player. someone bidding 10mill for leon best is stupid.

Using the logic employed thus far in this thread, I bet Villa won't offer Ashley Young a new contract because he's just going to leave anyway if somebody bids a STUPID amount of money for him. Pointless trying to keep him if Man U etc are contemplating maybe perhaps bidding for him one day maybe in the future perhaps maybe maybe maybe.

50 million for Clit Torres.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

done well to keep it quiet especially when bartons and enriques deals have been so public. makes you wonder a bit.

Who are the agents for each player? Reckon that'll have something to do with it. Isn't Barton's agent known for being a press whore when it comes to contracts?

done well to keep it quiet especially when bartons and enriques deals have been so public. makes you wonder a bit.

Who are the agents for each player? Reckon that'll have something to do with it. Isn't Barton's agent known for being a press whore when it comes to contracts?

i think he is aye.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

Over market value. Lets say Man U bid £35-£40million for Ashley Young, being realistic he's not worth 3 Rafael Van Der Vaarts, or 2 Malouda's is he. I would see that as being a stupid amount for him, basically far more than he is realistically worth.

Like when we bought Carl Cort for £8million or whatever it was, that was a stupid fee, about 8 times his worth

Seem to have two fairly staunchly opposing camps forming over this news!

Personally, I think it's fantastic - committing a player of his calibre is just the pick-me-up we needed as a club - just as we are (internally and externally) questioned as to whether we are a selling club ready to cash in on our best assets this summer.

It is rather sad though, looking at the big picture, that the fan's trust in the regime has been so thoroughly battered that it questions whether this is just a ploy to plump up Tiote's price/encourage season ticket renewals before he is eventually sold - and while maybe such arguments should seem far-fetched, they're not ridiculous and not as easily dismissed as they should be.

Anyway, here's hoping to many years of Tiote dominating midfields for the Toon  :indi:

Just wanted to highlight this as unsurprisingly it seems to have been ignored

As for Tiote, good news it would appear unless the loose cannon has another brain-lapse in store

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Of all the footage BBC show, its the bone scrapper challenge on Elano from the World Cup.  :lol:

i think he is aye.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willie_McKay

To all the pessimists saying contracts mean nothing. Absolutely bullshit.

It doesn't guarantee that he won't leave in two seasons for £20 million plus, but it certainly shows he wants to stay at the current time which with his performances and current stock means a lot.

A lot more difficult for a buying club to purchase a player tied for the long term.

Great sign of intent from everybody involved.

Absolutely fantastic news.

Like most have said, the best possible news we could have been given considering all the questions around us being a selling club etc.

I've no doubt he won't leave in the summer now. If that means I'm falling for a silly PR exercise then so be it.

Look, lets enjoy this one man. A cracking player just signed a 6 year deal, we dont know whats round the corner but the club/ashley/decker have made another sensible move.

Lets enojy this one and hopefully tiote is here for the long term.

Peronally I would make Panthro Captain.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

Like most have said, the best possible news we could have been given considering all the questions around us being a selling club etc.

I've no doubt he won't leave in the summer now. If that means I'm falling for a silly PR exercise then so be it.

Couldn't agree more

Guest Roger Kint

Couldn't agree more

Same with me

Very pleased with the news, however i thought we were dead set against giving players new contrats when they were just a few months into one?

at the very least it means we will get a large sum for him if he is sold.

Nah, I think we're just dead against bowing to player demands when they've just had a pay rise.

I get the feeling this was driven by the club in order to make Tiote's position more secure, and to reward him for a brilliant season. Bit different to the Carroll situation IMO.

Its not really, giving the player more money to ward off any interest they might have in leaving either way. Whether they asked for it or its given really doesnt mean much. In one situation we were offered 35m, thats the only difference.

Yeah, but what I mean is that the reasons behind the move are different, and so is Mike Ashley's reaction likely to be.

If a 20 year-old kid with six months experience comes and demands a second pay rise in a couple of months, Ashley is likely to tell him to whistle for it. On the other hand, offering our most valuable player a new deal on terms the club is happy with is a very sensible thing to do.

Great news.  He will feel wanted and rewarded and for the negative people on here, it pushes his value right up as well!

Comments coming from a number of players seriously need to be taken on board by Ashley.  With investment he can keep these players together and we move on to a new level.  This summer really is crucial.

does that mean investing the carroll money or the club oweing ashley more than one hundred odd million that it already does ?

I think he will get his money back from a total sale of the club.  Its better for Ashley to get the club qualifying for europe on a regular basis would make us even more attractive to potential buyers.

This 35 million could be a spring board for the club wilst also resigning players like Barton, Nolan, Enrique, Jonas and Colo.

We have a good core that could be added to.

A club with 52 k fans, well run finances and playing in europe on a regular basis is far more attarctive then the shit Ashley picked up from the Halls and shepherds.

This.  We are at a very crucial juncture now IMO.  Spend the money wisely and we could cement a top 8 status.  If Ashley harbours any motives to sell at a profit or indeed just get his money back, we need the extra revenue and status a european campaign or two would bring to achieve this in any event.

I would not sanction the stupid trophy signings of the past (Owen, Lugue etc) but a few more in the mould of Ben Arfa and Tiote would be a great start.

And even if 'this means nowt about his future', then for me its:

Going into the summer with him on a bumper new contract > Going into the summer in the situation we were in.

It's not as if NOTHING changes with this. This contract has to make some sort of difference, otherwise there'd be no point to doing it.

He's one of the best players at this club, and key to it's future. Just find the timing very strange.

It has alreadly been spelled out for you why there is sod all wrong with the timing. If you can't show an arguement against people, at least show some semblance of an ability to absorb this stuff in.

Simply put, players will always leave the club, but now it's a lot more difficult for a buying club to purchase a him or offer him significantly better wages, it's a sign of intent before the madness of the summer, it removes any doubts for Tiote and we have a happy player.

How the fuck can you find fault in this news? How the fuckity fuck?

It's fair enough having a healthy cynicism, and a craving for activism Colocho, but at least give us some credible logic to go with it.

Going into the summer with him on a bumper new contract > Going into the summer in the situation we were in.

It's not as if NOTHING changes with this. This contract has to make some sort of difference, otherwise there'd be no point to doing it.

Exactly !

and its laying down a marker for the other players who were/are worried about the clubs direction.

Exactly !

and its laying down a marker for the other players who were/are worried about the clubs direction.

Yup. Hopefully it opens the floodgates for Enrique and Barton.