Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

Risk getting shot down in flames as this isn't :cheesy: /  :frantic: /  :celb:

Will Tiote's new £50k (around £2.6m a year) wages over a six and a half year period (around £16.9m) be taken out of the Carroll money?

Wont we have 'saved' around 30k a week for the next 5 years in selling Carroll though?

Risk getting shot down in flames as this isn't :cheesy::frantic::celb:

Will Tiote's new £50k (around £2.6m a year) wages over a six and a half year period (around £16.9m) be taken out of the Carroll money?

By the way, I've been accused/called a lot of names in this thread - if any of you knew my personally you'd realise how pleased I am about this news. It's just I find this board is a good place to voice concerns, amongst mainly reasonable people. And before anyone tries any low blows towards United For Newcastle, please check the Facebook/Twitter profiles as to how the news has been received.

Why would it ? Tiote was being paid before probably around 20k and Carrolls wage are gone probably 30k from his xmas deal though could be more so that basically covers his new wages without having to take a single penny from the £35m

By the way, I've been accused/called a lot of names in this thread - if any of you knew my personally you'd realise how pleased I am about this news. It's just I find this board is a good place to voice concerns, amongst mainly reasonable people. And before anyone tries any low blows towards United For Newcastle, please check the Facebook/Twitter profiles as to how the news has been received.

On a day where an obviously a piece of good news has been announced, your first two comments were "Why have they done it now? Should have waited until the summer." and "What are win going to do if Chelsea bid £18 million for him. Carroll situation all over again", you can surely understand why people are being frosty with you.

Secure our prem status will bring in more wedge, better sponsors and shirt deal and more TV money.  This will pay those wages.

Obtain a euro spot and the revenue goes up again, if we can lock our players down to reasonable contracts then lets do it!

Makes the club more stable and would make more us competitve.

Even if it does come out of the Carroll money, it's a great way to spend it.

Agreed. In fact, it's probable that this deal would not have been possible without the Carroll money.

As previously mentioned, the man is now properly paid, meaning that it takes more than petty cash to unsettle him. Now a sale requires that both he and MA are offered silly money. That will fend of the interest of most clubs.

On a day where an obviously a piece of good news has been announced, your first two comments were "Why have they done it now? Should have waited until the summer." and "What are win going to do if Chelsea bid £18 million for him. Carroll situation all over again", you can surely understand why people are being frosty with you.

But it's not like I'm saying he shouldn't have been offered a new contract, or got a wage rise ... just think we should have waited until the summer to offer it. If that's worthy of being called a negative bastard etc etc then well, I'll keep any thoughts that question the actions of the hierarchy of this club to myself.

But it's not like I'm saying he shouldn't have been offered a new contract, or got a wage rise ... just think we should have waited until the summer to offer it. If that's worthy of being called a negative b****** etc etc then well, I'll keep any thoughts that question the actions of the hierarchy of this club to myself.

Why wait until the sumer?  We've caught everyone on the hop, its a cracking move man - Cheik mate.  We just put Gary Kasparov in a head lock.

But it's not like I'm saying he shouldn't have been offered a new contract, or got a wage rise ... just think we should have waited until the summer to offer it. If that's worthy of being called a negative bastard etc etc then well, I'll keep any thoughts that question the actions of the hierarchy of this club to myself.

Why though? While others have given reasons for doing it now, you still haven't given us any decent explaination of why we should have waited until the summer.

No, we (or at least I) want to hear those thoughts, but simply want you to explain the reasoning behind them.

just think we should have waited until the summer to offer it

To lift a bit of the gloom that is still knocking around since they sold AC & the comments from Jose & Barton + the failure to secure either of them to longer term deals as of yet. Yes it may of been brought forward but the clubs finances have been dramatically boosted since the window.

Risk getting shot down in flames as this isn't :cheesy: /  :frantic: /  :celb:

Why though? While others have given reasons for doing it now, you still haven't given us any decent explaination of why we should have waited until the summer.

I have actually. I would have waited until the end of the season as it is closer to the transfer window opening.

The point I'm trying so hard to make is that - As we saw with Carroll, players signing a long-term contract make little difference to clubs with a lot of cash that want their man. Carroll signed a 5 year contract at his hometown club, did that deter a club from making an offer only 3 months later (as well as others showing interest?)

I just feel that offering a new contract at the end of the season would be a better signal to other clubs that he is not for sale. Again, opening myself up to a volley of abuse, but this is just a thought - as much as he has become a key part of the side, should any player get a £30/35k pay rise after playing 19 games, which he has excelled in, but also picked up 9 yellow cards? On the other hand, tying Tiote down is a great signal to key players such as Enrique and Barton whose contracts expire in less than 18 months time.

Most agreed with the club not entertaining Carroll's demands for a new contract, on the basis he had only signed one three months earlier.

However, what will we be said IF a substancial bid is made in the summer by a Man City or a Chelsea type. It's one thing the club rejecting/accepting offers, but if the player demands a new contract, and he's already on £50k a week, see Andy Carroll/Liverpool.

We're back to the principles of the club now, which are rather unclear at the best of times.

People were saying Carroll wasn't worthy of a pay increase after a good half a season in the Premier League. Well we've just given Tiote one and even now he's only played one more game than Carroll had by that time (and only one month further into a new contract too).

This is great news but some of the arguments given in favour of selling Carroll don't quite stack up.

First of all Tiote has proven himself to be well worth this deal.  The stats show we are a much better side with him in it.

Carroll had signed a contract then came knocking for more money.

Difference

The club have approached Tiote rather then him asking for more, they want to show that he is worth it.

We are nailing down one of our top players to a longer term and afforable contract, we know ashley and llambias are trying to run a tight ship so i dont think this is them breaking their structure.

Waiting until the summer?  I still dont see why, we have just nailed down a top top player, 99% of newcastle fans are over the moon about this and like thespence says its a big moral booster for other players.

Can you ever stop a football club thats supported by a feckless billionaire buying or harvetsing other clubs players for stupid money??  The best you can do is tie your best players down to a long term contract, hope it puts other clubs off, if it doesnt, then they have to pay way over the odds.

I really cant see the issue with tiote signing this contract.  I really cant.

Guest Roger Kint

First of all Tiote has proven himself to be well worth this deal.  The stats show we are a much better side with him in it.

Carroll had signed a contract then came knocking for more money.

Difference

The club have approached Tiote rather then him asking for more, they want to show that he is worth it.

We are nailing down one of our top players to a longer term and afforable contract, we know ashley and llambias are trying to run a tight ship so i dont think this is them breaking their structure.

Waiting until the summer?  I still dont see why, we have just nailed down a top top player, 99% of newcastle fans are over the moon about this and like thespence says its a big moral booster for other players.

Can you ever stop a football club thats supported by a feckless billionaire buying or harvetsing other clubs players for stupid money??  The best you can do is tie your best players down to a long term contract, hope it puts other clubs off, if it doesnt, then they have to pay way over the odds.

I really cant see the issue with tiote signing this contract.  I really cant.

:clap: