What do you think about this?

indi

Guest elbee909

If he's an English citizen he has every right.  I'd welcome it, be great for shutting up some of the England fans who happen to be xenophobes.

If he's an English citizen he has every right.  I'd welcome it, be great for shutting up some of the England fans who happen to be xenophobes.

There was a time John Barnes was considered an outsider and pure hatred vented at him for playing for England.

I think not even to consider it is daft. To build a whole team around it like Scotland is desperate but there is a nice balance to be found. :)

Michael Johnson? You seen him lately?

A-dum

Don't see the relevance to Arteta there though, they play different positions.

Arteta more likely to fill wing position since the stranglehold of current Englands mids?

A-dum

Arteta more likely to fill wing position since the stranglehold of current Englands mids?

I'd hope not. His strengths would be needed in the centre.

I barely give half a shit about England nowadays... if we start playing players who aren't English, the interest will just be extinguished altogether. Aye other countries do it, and it's a load of nonsense there, too.

It's not a case of being xenophobic and don't even start bringing up issues of immigration, or whatever. A person who was born in England and has lived in England all their life... they warrant a place in the side more than someone who's simply qualified for citizenship - thanks to being here for X number of days. It's a nonsense imo. There's absolutely bugger all English about the guy.

A-dum

I'd hope not. His strengths would be needed in the centre.

Absolutely, but if it happened, where do you think he'd play? :(

I barely give half a shit about England nowadays... if we start playing players who aren't English, the interest will just be extinguished altogether. Aye other countries do it, and it's a load of nonsense there, too.

It's not a case of being xenophobic and don't even start bringing up issues of immigration, or whatever. A person who was born in England and has lived in England all their life... they warrant a place in the side more than someone who's simply qualified for citizenship - thanks to being here for X number of days. It's a nonsense imo. There's absolutely bugger all English about the guy.

Then it should stop for all internationals. Don't see why we should shoot ourselves in the foot for a bit of misplaced pride?

It's like Glen all over again not considering anyone over 30 for our team. Then we 5 years later get an ageing CB we cried out for since.

Urgh... the whole idea altogether just riles me up. English players should play for England, Spanish players should play for Spain, Germans for Germany, etc. Fortunately it seems to be very much few and far between... it negates the whole idea otherwise.

He isn't English so shouldn't play for England. I just can't see it any other way; it's black and white.

To the people who are against it: What's your view on Hargreaves?

He's got two British (one English) parents?

Born in Canada, to a Welsh mother, grew up in Germany and as far as I can see had spent a grand total of zero days living in England prior to his début for the national team.

I'd take him anytime, just the sort of player that can dictate tempo and who I'm confident will able to replicate his club form for England. So what if the reason he joins England is because he is not good enough for the Spanish team. We are talking of midfielders like Xavi, Iniesta and Fabregas, none of the current English midfielders can be considered better than them (at least not at the international level). Couldn't give a toss about his race, if he has British citizenship, that's all that matters.

Then it should stop for all internationals. Don't see why we should shoot ourselves in the foot for a bit of misplaced pride?

It's like Glen all over again not considering anyone over 30 for our team. Then we 5 years later get an ageing CB we cried out for since.

Fortunately, the vast majority of national football associations see it the same way we do - and the whole thing won't escalate. It's basically club football otherwise.

Urgh... the whole idea altogether just riles me up. English players should play for England, Spanish players should play for Spain, Germans for Germany, etc. Fortunately it seems to be very much few and far between... it negates the whole idea otherwise.

He isn't English so shouldn't play for England. I just can't see it any other way; it's black and white.

In a simplistic B&W view I agree, but why let other NTs get one up on us when we can also take advantage of the situation?

:thup:

I can see the ambiguity when it comes to players like Shola (arf) or Moses, who came over as kids (5 and 11 respectively) - they're schooled here and grow up in the English way of life. Someone like Arteta is just here working, he's no more English than I am Spanish.

To the people who are against it: What's your view on Hargreaves?

He's got two British (one English) parents?

Born in Canada, to a Welsh mother, grew up in Germany and as far as I can see had spent a grand total of zero days living in England prior to his début for the national team.

His father's English though and he has a British passport.

:thup:

I can see the ambiguity when it comes to players like Shola (arf) or Moses, who came over as kids (5 and 11 respectively) - they're schooled here and grow up in the English way of life. Someone like Arteta is just here working, he's no more English than I am Spanish.

yep, that's it. :thup:

In a simplistic B&W view I agree, but why let other NTs get one up on us when we can also take advantage of the situation?

I'm gonna get labelled with the 'needless, over-the-top, patriot' label here - but it's up to nations like us - who gave the world the game - to set a benchmark of what's actually correct. The whole thing is a load of bollocks and absolutely should not be allowed. If we start doing the same thing we're only succumbing to one of the games biggest flaws. It's an [unfair advantage if you ask me, rather than an advantage, and i'd rather win something with a bit of honour.