Steven Taylor

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Chances are he'll score against Stoke now, and everyone will be thumping their General Geordie emblem tattoos.

To be fair it's blatantly untrue to say he fucks up on a regular basis and there's a massive amount of over-reaction going on due to "decide everything based on the last match" syndrome.

He's a perfectly serviceable average Premiership defender who'll have bad games sometimes and good game sometimes. Certainly good enough to be a squad player for Newcastle United.

To be fair it's blatantly untrue to say he f***s up on a regular basis and there's a massive amount of over-reaction going on due to "decide everything based on the last match" syndrome.

He's a perfectly serviceable average Premiership defender who'll have bad games sometimes and good game sometimes. Certainly good enough to be a squad player for Newcastle United.

He's a squad player, but nothing more. But if his previous salary was 40 000 a week, he's probably on something similar now. He earns too much compared to how often he's injured and what he delivers on the pitch. If we could sell him for £6 mill, we could probably find a replacement that is just as good for £1-2 mill. And that player is probably satisfied with half of Taylors salary.

Terry was 23 at that time and was already starting for his country and captaining his club.

Yeah, and Woodgate was 23 when we bought him. But already then, he was a complete stopper. Taylor is

Terry was 23 at that time and was already starting for his country and captaining his club.

Yeah, and Woodgate was 23 when we bought him. But already then, he was a complete stopper. Taylor is now two years older, and he's still s***. The amateur faults he pulled off against Everton still amaze me. I could have understood them if they were of the less serious kind. Being just back from injury could then been an excuse. But not pressuring Arteta and inviting him into the box, is a humongous error at that level and shows a lack of football intelligence. And he cannot use lack of experience as an excuse either...

now two years older, and he's still s***. The amateur faults he pulled off against Everton still amaze me. I could have understood them if they were of the less serious kind. Being just back from injury could then been an excuse. But not pressuring Arteta and inviting him into the box, is a humongous error at that level and shows a lack of football intelligence. And he cannot use lack of experience as an excuse either...

Woodgate was the best defender we've had in my time as a fan (1980 onwards), so it's harsh to compare Taylor with him.

Did the amateur faults by Williamson this season (conveniently forgotten by many Taylor haters) shock you?

Williamson has made some mistakes, but none as "obvious" as the one Taylor pulled of against Everton. And this is Williamson's first PL season, a excuse that doesn't apply for Taylor.  Williamson is now just as good a stopper as Taylor, and that feat he managed in just one lousy season. Taylor on the other hasn't developed since his early 20s.

Blackburn home - Jason Roberts' winner. Midweek home game? Lost 2-1? Williamson glaring missed tackle? Ring any bells?

Case closed.

To be fair it's blatantly untrue to say he f***s up on a regular basis and there's a massive amount of over-reaction going on due to "decide everything based on the last match" syndrome.

He's a squad player, but nothing more. But if his previous salary was 40 000 a week, he's probably on something similar now. He earns too much compared to how often he's injured and what he delivers on the pitch. If we could sell him for £6 mill, we could probably find a replacement that is just as good for £1-2 mill. And that player is probably satisfied with half of Taylors salary.

Usual mishmash of "ifs", "maybes" and assumptions from the hate brigade. Most reports say Taylor was on £30-35,000 a week.

Still, good to see you backtrack so far and so quickly when met with a common sense argument based on experience of watching Newcastle regularly in recent seasons.

Williamson's got a bit of the Bramble compound but he's a more rounded centre-back than Taylor, imo. As has been previously mentioned, i can't remember the last time Taylor played and i really thought "bloody hell, what a great game he had." There's already been atleast a couple of those from Williamson this season. Sunderland away, most notably. The other thing that some people overlook is that Williamson's a far, FAR better team player than Taylor - which not only adds to his solid partnership with Colo, but to the defensive continuity on the whole. Not to mention his far superior fitness record.

As far as the 'here and now' is concerned, they're probably at a fairly similar standard, even though there's no contest as to who should be in the team. But i really would be keen on us making significant investment in the next two transfer windows at centre-back. That's if we've got any ambitions of Europe at all.

Oh, like James Perch?

Oh, like James Perch?

Williamson is playing just as well as Tayls. He cost £1 mill and probably earns half..

Shite example given that Perch plays a different position. I'm with Punk on this one. I'd have complete faith in the club to dig up someone from the bargain basement who would be better for the squad than Taylor. I've mentioned before, the thing that really riles me up is him potentially eating up wages that could be given to the likes of Enrique or Barton. The thought of them buggering off whilst bell-ends like Taylor, who epitomise mediocrity, sit cushtily on the bench with £40k coming in every week.

s**** example given that Perch plays a different position. I'm with Punk on this one. I'd have complete faith in the club to dig up someone from the bargain basement who would be better for the squad than Taylor. I've mentioned before, the thing that really riles me up is him potentially eating up wages that could be given to the likes of Enrique or Barton. The thought of them buggering off whilst bell-ends like Taylor, who epitomise mediocrity, sit cushtily on the bench with £40k coming in every week.

:clap: Exactly. The reason why I've always been against Taylor is his salary. He's so much weaker as a player compared to Tiote, HBA or Barton, but is almost earning as much as them. We got to trust our club to find better talents that is younger, have more potential, is less injury prone and earn considerable less.

Guest BooBoo

As a youngster Taylor was highly rated and looked very promising. It's a pity he now looks so bog standard.

I just wonder how he would have turned out at a more stable club. Its a bloody joke how heavy he is. Its stuff like that where we really seem amateurish.

s**** example given that Perch plays a different position. I'm with Punk on this one. I'd have complete faith in the club to dig up someone from the bargain basement who would be better for the squad than Taylor. I've mentioned before, the thing that really riles me up is him potentially eating up wages that could be given to the likes of Enrique or Barton. The thought of them buggering off whilst bell-ends like Taylor, who

epitomise mediocrity, sit cushtily on the bench with £40k coming in every week.

:clap: Exactly. The reason why I've always been against Taylor is his salary. He's so much weaker as a player compared to

s**** example given that Perch plays a different position. I'm with Punk on this one. I'd have complete faith in the club to dig up someone from the bargain basement who would be better for the squad than Taylor.

I've mentioned before, the thing that really riles me up is him potentially eating up wages that could be given to the likes of Enrique or Barton. The thought of them buggering off whilst bell-ends like Taylor, who epitomise mediocrity, sit cushtily on the bench with £40k coming in every week.

:clap: Exactly. The reason why I've always been against Taylor is his salary. He's so much weaker as a player compared to Tiote, HBA or Barton, but is almost earning as much as them. We got to trust our club to find better talents that is younger, have more potential, is less injury prone and earn considerable less.

, HBA or Barton, but is almost earning as much as them. We got to trust our club to find better talents that is younger, have more potential, is less injury prone and earn considerable less.

Dearie me. That'll be the Barton who spent eons on the treatment table in all three of his previous seasons with us?

Yeah, and Woodgate was 23 when we bought him. But already then, he was a complete stopper. Taylor is

Yeah, and Woodgate was 23 when we bought him. But already then, he was a complete stopper. Taylor is now two years older, and he's still s***. The amateur faults he pulled off against Everton still amaze me. I could have understood them if they were of the less serious kind. Being just back from injury could then been an excuse. But not pressuring Arteta and inviting him into the box, is a humongous error at that level and shows a lack of football intelligence. And he cannot use lack of experience as an excuse either...

now two years older, and he's still s***. The amateur faults he pulled off against Everton still amaze me. I could have understood them if they were of the less serious kind. Being just back from injury could then been an excuse. But not pressuring Arteta and inviting him into the box, is a humongous error at that level and shows a lack of football intelligence. And he cannot use lack of experience as an excuse either...

Woodgate was the best defender we've had in my time as a fan (1980 onwards), so it's harsh to compare Taylor with him.

Did the amateur faults by Williamson this season (conveniently forgotten by many Taylor haters) shock you?

Williamson has made some mistakes, but none as "obvious" as the one Taylor pulled of against Everton. And this is Williamson's first PL season, a excuse that doesn't apply for Taylor.  Williamson is now just as good a stopper as Taylor, and that feat he managed in just one lousy season. Taylor on the other hasn't developed since his early 20s.

Blackburn home - Jason Roberts' winner. Midweek home game? Lost 2-1? Williamson glaring missed tackle? Ring any bells?

Case closed.

That is absolute bollocks though. Jason Roberts deliberately elbowed Williamson in the ribcage under his armpit and the ref and linesman failed to spot it. Blatant foul, not a Williamson mistake.

Yeah, and Woodgate was 23 when we bought him. But already then, he was a complete stopper. Taylor is now two years older, and he's still s***. The amateur faults he pulled off against Everton still amaze me. I

could have understood them if they were of the less serious kind. Being just back from injury could then been an excuse. But not pressuring Arteta and inviting him into the box, is a humongous error at that level and shows a lack of football intelligence. And he cannot use lack of experience as an excuse either...

now two years older, and he's still s***. The amateur faults he pulled off against Everton still amaze me. I could have understood them if they were of the less serious kind. Being just back from injury could then been an excuse. But not pressuring Arteta and inviting him into the box, is a humongous error at that

level and shows a lack of football intelligence. And he cannot use lack of experience as an excuse either...

Williamson has made some mistakes, but none as "obvious" as the one Taylor pulled of against Everton. And this is Williamson's first PL season, a excuse that doesn't apply for Taylor.  Williamson is now just as good a

stopper as Taylor, and that feat he managed in just one lousy season. Taylor on the other hasn't developed since his early 20s.

Case closed.

That is absolute bollocks though. Jason Roberts deliberately elbowed Williamson in the ribcage under

his armpit and the ref and linesman failed to spot it. Blatant foul, not a Williamson mistake.

Nobody even appealed to the ref because Williamson had put in a clearly p*ss weak challenge. It wasn't even one he should have gone into anyway. He should have stood Roberts up rather than commit himself.

Aside from which, Williamson has made

blatant errors vs Arsenal (in league & cup), Wigan, Bolton

and Stevenage that I can easily remember.

It was a foul

A foul nobody complained about at the time or afterwards, and a goal widely attributed to a Williamson error.

We'll have to beg to differ, but I'd just ask you to imagine the reaction on here had S Taylor been the defender involved...

I couldn't believe Williamson like. Getting in the way of Roberts' elbow, the useless b******. Sell him.

Yawn. Wondered how long it would be before you were back driving the bandwagon.

Ironic you're complaining about an elbow, the amount of cheap, sly digs you get in coming in from the side.

If you can show me the mass outcry on here about the Roberts challenge, I'd like to read it.

Anything relevant to add to the debate? Fancy answering my last question?