Steven Taylor

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Guest guinness_fiend

It's the same crap that gets trotted out without any real evidence though.  Since Taylor's came back into the team where have his massive errors been?  In fact, taking last season into account, when was the last time he played really badly?  The relegation season?  Even then he was one of the better players in the team.

Who gives a s*** if he kisses the badge every so often?   Barton does it all the time despite having no real connection to the club and despite letting the club down time and time again while picking up probably double what Taylor earned in the same time. 

If we're picking on CBs let's have a look at Coloccini's weaknesses.  Getting muscled off the ball by Jason Roberts, stepping up against West Ham and letting them run in behind, and getting outmuscled by Elmander to name a few.  All CBs make mistakes and have weaknesses, Taylor has them but not as bad as some on here make out.  Ask most neutrals what they think of Taylor and I'm sure they'd say average PL CB.

He hasn't had a good game for as long as I can remember.  You're missing the point.  It seems that everyone is willing to overlook Taylor's weaknesses due to some bizarre sense of loyalty.  The relegation season, you say?  Was that the relegation season where he was (supposedly) close to leaving the club?  He did well in the Championship when he played.  So did Shola.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out the common denominator.

You point out Colo's weaknesses, so it's obvious you are able to critically analyse a player.  So why not turn your talents to Taylor, who has played nearly 150 games for the club.

Local lad?  Check*

Kisses the badge?  Check.

Scores the odd goal with his head and goes spastic?  Check.

He cant help that he grew up here ffs. He is a fan of the club, he has only been a pro at one club (apart from being out on loan) so he is hardly a Wayne Rooney/Carlos Tevez type character when it comes to kissing the crest of the club he plays for. You make it sound like its a bad thing that he has scored goals for us.

"* Conveniently ignoring the fact that he was born in Greenwich, obviously" = Who conveniently forgets this? Any examples? Most of us class him, Shola, Kaz Lua Lua as Geordies but then people liked me classed Terry Butcher as English.

I thought it was obvious that I was being flippant - evidently not. 

What I mean is that people are willing to overlook all of his quite apparent failings for reasons I cannot understand, so I've attributed it to what I perceive to be "local lad loyalty".  I'd love it if he turns out to be a world beater, but I suspect that he'll just be another mid-table and exceedingly average centre back.

It's the same crap that gets trotted out without any real evidence though.  Since Taylor's came back into the team where have his massive errors been?  In fact, taking last season into account, when was the last time he played really badly?  The relegation season?  Even then he was one of the better players in the team.

Who gives a s*** if he kisses the badge every so often?   Barton does it all the time despite having no real connection to the club and despite letting the club down time and time again while picking up probably double what Taylor earned in the same time. 

If we're picking on CBs let's have a look at Coloccini's weaknesses.  Getting muscled off the ball by Jason Roberts, stepping up against West Ham and letting them run in behind, and getting outmuscled by Elmander to name a few.  All CBs make mistakes and have weaknesses, Taylor has them but not as bad as some on here make out.  Ask most neutrals what they think of Taylor and I'm sure they'd say average PL CB.

Ok Alf. ;)

He hasn't had a good game for as long as I can remember.  You're missing the point.  It seems that everyone is willing to overlook Taylor's weaknesses due to some bizarre sense of loyalty.  The relegation season, you say?  Was that the relegation season where he was (supposedly) close to leaving the club?  He did well in the Championship when he played.  So did Shola.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out the common denominator.

You point out Colo's weaknesses, so it's obvious you are able to critically analyse a player.  So why not turn your talents to Taylor, who has played nearly 150 games for the club.

Local lad?  Check*

He cant help that he grew up here ffs. He is a fan of the club, he has only been a pro at one club (apart from being out on loan) so he is hardly a Wayne Rooney/Carlos Tevez type character when it comes to kissing the crest of the club he plays for. You make it sound like its a bad thing that he has scored goals for us.

"* Conveniently ignoring the fact that he was born in Greenwich, obviously" = Who conveniently forgets this? Any examples? Most of us class him, Shola, Kaz Lua Lua as Geordies but then people liked me classed Terry Butcher as English.

What I mean is that people are willing to overlook all of his quite apparent failings for reasons I cannot understand, so I've attributed it to what I perceive to be "local lad loyalty".  I'd love it if he turns out to be a world beater, but I suspect that he'll just be another mid-table defender.

I admitted Taylor has weaknesses I just said they aren't as pronounced as some on here claim.  People seem to have an irrational hatred of the bloke which in turn means the turn on him after every game. 

You say he hasn't had a good game but where are the mistakes?

"Was that the relegation season where he was (supposedly) close to leaving the club?"

What's that got to do with my argument?  He was one of our better players that season although that's not saying much.  In the first half of the Championship he was as good as Coloccini was, granted its a rubbish league but you can only beat what's in front of you.  Now, since he's came back we've had  couple of very good results and a couple of bad ones, Taylor's performances have been fairly consistent throughout those games.

Ok Alf. ;)

Feel free to point out what you disagree with.

Everyone seems to think he's overrated because he's local, but he gets a lot of stick on these forums. I don't think he's particularly good, but he's a fairly average player whom it is good to get signed up on a new contract. There's little difference between him and Williamson imo.

Coloccini gets away with his weaknesses scot free too, I'm pleased Taylor's got his contract. Not our best defender, but it would be stupid to let him go for free.

Everyone seems to think he's overrated because he's local, but he gets a lot of stick on these forums. I don't think he's particularly good, but he's a fairly average player whom it is good to get signed up on a new contract. There's little difference between him and Williamson imo.

Coloccini gets away with his weaknesses scot free too, I'm pleased Taylor's got his contract. Not our best defender, but it would be stupid to let him go for free.

Do you not remember how he was rated on here when we got relegated?

Guest guinness_fiend

Local lad?  Check*

What I mean is that people are willing to overlook all of his quite apparent failings for reasons I cannot understand, so I've attributed it to what I perceive to be "local lad loyalty".  I'd love it if he turns out to be a world beater, but I suspect that he'll just be another mid-table defender.

I admitted Taylor has weaknesses I just said they aren't as pronounced as some on here claim.  People seem to have an irrational hatred of the bloke which in turn means the turn on him after every game. 

You say he hasn't had a good game but where are the mistakes?

"Was that the relegation season where he was (supposedly) close to leaving the club?"

What's that got to do with my argument?  He was one of our better players that season although that's not saying much.  In the first half of the Championship he was as good as Coloccini was, granted its a rubbish league but you can only beat what's in front of you.  Now, since he's came back we've had  couple of very good results and a couple of bad ones, Taylor's performances have been fairly consistent throughout those games.

You are trying to make out like a "mistake" has to be am individual foot-in-mouth moment, like his sniper wound / handball of a few years back.

Read my earlier post above - it lists the defensive frailties that he's exemplified this season.  And they've resulted in us conceding goals.

I don't have an irrational hatred of the bloke.  I just like to think that I can recognise where there's room for improvement, rather than garnishing certain players with praise when they've not actually deserved it.  This thread is about Taylor securing a 5 1/2 year contract, with (presumably) incremental salary increases.  Quite what he's done to deserve that is beyond me, considering we haven't exactly missed him.

I think it was Dave that pointed out (and I paraphrase) that it reeks of us tying him down to secure a decent sell-on fee.  In the absence of any evidence to the contrary, I'd go with that.

Do you not remember how he was rated on here when we got relegated?

Even now though I've seen people retrospectively begin to blame Taylor for Colo's shortcomings that season.

I think it was Dave that pointed out (and I paraphrase) that it reeks of us tying him down to secure a decent sell-on fee. In the absence of any evidence to the contrary, I'd go with that.

To clarify, with the manager change I'm not sure this applies any more. I think Hughton (rightly IMO) preferred Williamson but Pardew has given Taylor assurances regarding being first choice. I can't see that this deal is any different to what was already on the table. Add in Taylor's arselicking of Pardew and abracadabra - deal signed.

Of course, it also secures his value should another team come in for him.

Even now though I've seen people retrospectively begin to blame Taylor for Colo's shortcomings that season.

Coloccini is a much better defender than Taylor.  He's as likely to make a mistake but he reads the game much better than Taylor does and he's better at fitting into a defensive unit than Taylor.

Coloccini is a much better defender than Taylor.  He's as likely to make a mistake but he reads the game much better than Taylor does and he's better at fitting into a defensive unit than Taylor.

I've never disputed that and I'm not sure why you've quoted me to say that.  I agree Colo is our best centre back/

Colo and Williamson are better defenders imo. Good news he has signed though, he is decent backup and could still be a good defender but it is very worrying that he is still quite erratic and seems to have that effect on the people around him.

Local lad?  Check*

What I mean is that people are willing to overlook all of his quite apparent failings for reasons I cannot understand, so I've attributed it to what I perceive to be "local lad loyalty".  I'd love it if he turns out to be a world beater, but I suspect that he'll just be another mid-table and exceedingly average centre back.

Bizarre post, IMHO. If you've been posting here any legth of time, you should know that Taylor has been slagged almost mercilessly - obsessively by some - in recent months, for both the contract saga AND supposedly playing the loal hero card too often.

As for "he hasn't had a good game for as long as I can remember", I'm sorry, but I you can pick just about any game in the first half of last season.

Sorry to say this, and it's not meant to be a low blow, but how often have you watched Newcastle live in recent years?

I'm not sure what to make of Taylor, he's nowhere near as bad as some make out while he's not the answer to our centreback needs.  He's sometimes rash as he tends to follow play and we lose our shape at the back because of it but he's always about to make a last ditch tackle when we need it.  I thought that he would move to rightback this season and I don't see that as being the case now as I'd like to see Simpson keep that position as I think he's got the potential to become a very good player for us.

Taylor is a puzzle because I don't see us building a solid defence around him unless he can settle down and relax a bit more and lose the headless chicken approach that we see too often.  He could probably defend well doing a man-to-man job on somebody, I’m not sure he’s up to zonal marking as he doesn’t have the self discipline.

Taylor does more damage as an unsettling influence to everybody else, rather than his ability.  He spazzes out, which seems to cause everybody to panic a little bit.  His presence seems to cut the communication lines between the defenders and the midfield.

Yes, he will throw in a last ditch tackle, but that is down to poor positioning more often than not.  How many times has he created the need to go in with a last ditch tackle? 

Taylor does more damage as an unsettling influence to everybody else, rather than his ability.  He spazzes out, which seems to cause everybody to panic a little bit.  His presence seems to cut the communication lines between the defenders and the midfield.

Yes, he will throw in a last ditch tackle, but that is down to poor positioning more often than not.  How many times has he created the need to go in with a last ditch tackle? 

Is there any evidence at all of this?  I haven't seen him 'spazz out' since he's came back into the team.  The defender who seems to have made the biggest errors seems to be Campbell but I guess that's down to Taylor.

Guest guinness_fiend

Local lad?  Check*

Bizarre post, IMHO. If you've been posting here any legth of time, you should know that Taylor has been slagged almost mercilessly - obsessively by some - in recent months, for both the contract saga AND supposedly playing the loal hero card too often.

As for "he hasn't had a good game for as long as I can remember", I'm sorry, but I you can pick just about any game in the first half of last season.

Sorry to say this, and it's not meant to be a low blow, but how often have you watched Newcastle live in recent years?

As you say, his attitude and not his performances have made him a target for some.  That I agree with.  That's not what I'm saying (see my earlier posts).

I've seen us play half a dozen times at St James' Park over recent years and have watched almost every televised game (including those not readily available in the UK) for as long as I care to remember.  In any case, like most people, I tend to concentrate on where the football is during a game rather than staring at individual players, so irrespective of whether I watch games at the ground, on my TV or on my mobile, my thoughts on Taylor's deficiencies would not change if I were a season ticket holder.  When the ball is near our defence, I form an opinion accordignly.  It's a perspective I'm glad of.

I cannot remember Taylor being anything but average/competent throughout his career.  He's shown promise but has never delivered.  If you believe he had a good game or two last season, that's your opinion and you're entitled to it.  But keep in mind that we walked a league with the best player-for-player squad that the Championship has seen over recent years but still struggled against teams with a good (and quick) forward line, such as West Brom.  Let us not forget that Shola looked a world beater on occasions.

Again, Taylor lacks the basic footballing brain to be anything other than an average player.  His positioning is borderline dangerous week in, week out.  If we had a forward that was constantly offside, thereby stifling play, I'd say the same thing.  It's unfortunate, but I honestly believe that Taylor is a squad player at best.

I've seen on more than a few occasions in his career him throwing his hands up in annoyance when another defender did not cover where HE should have been.  When I say spaz out, I don't mean that he's having epileptic fits on the field.  It's more of his consistent overcommitting, that sniper who occasionally follows him to the games, and the his reacting after the fact.

He's not a shit player, but it really seems that every time he comes in, then we have 4 individuals in the back destructively interfering with each other.  Not all his fault, but some players have an unsettling influence on their partners for whatever reason.