Steven Taylor

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Being the 'charger' requires positional discipline/intelligence too.

True but far less so than the other role, its also a role that is easier to coach.

Not that i'm trying to draw too many comparison but Terry is a player who blossomed relatively late in his career when Mourihno came aboard if i remeber correctly, around the same age as Taylor is now. I still think it'd be naive to get rid "because he's shit."

Also think the 'charger' role has alot to do with desire and determination and as much as i fucking hate cliches i think he has both and still can be worked on.

Like I say, if we want to build a squad then im happy with having him as a £5/6m squad player.

Relatively late? Terry was in his early 20's when Mourinho took charge.

£6m? Tell the nurse to lower your medication next time you see her.

Aye ok then. His stock is still reasonably high in the media, he's still got time on his side for a defender and he's also English.

£6m is par for the course.

He's worth whatever people are willing to pay for him and if you can't see another club willing to take a £6m punt on him then you need to see my nurse.

Who is going to pay £6m for him then?

Of the likely candidates Villa don't need him, Everton can't afford him, Spurs/Liverpool/Stoke don't need him. Mackems wouldn't buy him.

Barcelona and Arsenal, innit.

Bit strange of you to decide which teams need what and who can afford what dont ya think?!

But because I'm not a total cock and I am willing to answer things put to me I'd say Bolton would be a club that I could see going fr him...

Not really. Think it used to be called having an opinion. Be flabbergasted if Bolton spend £6m on a defender bearing in mind they've just signed Wheater and Knight has been playing well.

Ahhhh the old 'your opinion is wrong' because 'my opinion is right' manouvere. Nice one.  :thup:

Like I say, I think it's perfectly feasible for a team like Bolton to be casting eyes our way, especially if Cahill gets sold.

True but far less so than the other role, its also a role that is easier to coach.

Not that i'm trying to draw too many comparison but Terry is a player who blossomed relatively late in his career when Mourihno came aboard if i remeber correctly, around the same age as Taylor is now. I still think it'd be naive to get rid "because he's shit."

Also think the 'charger' role has alot to do with desire and determination and as much as i fucking hate cliches i think he has both and still can be worked on.

Like I say, if we want to build a squad then im happy with having him as a £5/6m squad player.

24, no?

EDIT: The point that I'm really trying to make is that defenders usually show the kind of world class promise at an early stage in there career - L King, Sulazeer, Woodgate, Ferdinand and Terry is an exception if i remeber correctly, was close to being sold.

Not that im saying Taylor will be world class but he has potential to be a good defender is all.

24, no?

EDIT: The point that I'm really trying to make is that defenders usually show the kind of world class promise at an early stage in there career - L King, Sulazeer, Woodgate, Ferdinand and Terry is an exception if i remeber correctly, was close to being sold.

Not that im saying Taylor will be world class but he has potential to be a good defender is all.

The only reason Terry was close to being sold (SBR tried to buy him) was because of the fact Chelsea were in dire straights financially. We also tried to  get him on the cheap (£9 million) and were knocked back straight away.

24, no?

The only reason Terry was close to being sold (SBR tried to buy him) was because of the fact Chelsea were in dire straights financially. We also tried to  get him on the cheap (£9 million) and were knocked back straight away.

So what's your point, Taylor doesnt have the potential to be a good defender?!

Guest palnese

He had potential 5 or 6 years ago. Why hasn't he significantly improved in that time?

I'm not making any excuses, but he's had about 300 managers during his time at the club. A new manager means new methods, new instructions etc...

You get my point.

£6m? Tell the nurse to lower your medication next time you see her.

Aye ok then. His stock is still reasonably high in the media, he's still got time on his side for a defender and he's also English.

£6m is par for the course.

He's worth whatever people are willing to pay for him and if you can't see another club willing to take a £6m punt on him then you need to see my nurse.

Who is going to pay £6m for him then?

Of the likely candidates Villa don't need him, Everton can't afford him, Spurs/Liverpool/Stoke don't need him. Mackems wouldn't buy him.

Barcelona and Arsenal, innit.

Bit strange of you to decide which teams need what and who can afford what dont ya think?!

But because I'm not a total cock and I am willing to answer things put to me I'd say Bolton would be a club that I could see going fr him...

Not really. Think it used to be called having an opinion. Be flabbergasted if Bolton spend £6m on a defender bearing in mind they've just signed Wheater and Knight has been playing well.

Ahhhh the old 'your opinion is wrong' because 'my opinion is right' manouvere. Nice one.  :thup:

Like I say, I think it's perfectly feasible for a team like Bolton to be casting eyes our way, especially if Cahill gets sold.

Not at all.

Making Taylor their 3rd most expensive signing ever? Again like I say I say I'd be surprised. Especially considering their financial position.

He had potential 5 or 6 years ago. Why hasn't he significantly improved in that time?

I'm not making any excuses, but he's had about 300 managers during his time at the club. A new manager means new methods, new instructions etc...

You get my point.

His making basic mistakes that even folk on here can spot a mile off. It's unacceptable.

Same as above-  hate making excuses for him because he's been average at best throughout his career at Newcastle but he developed as a player during an extremely volatile time at the club.

Players with talent are able to develop in stable environments, look at how N'Zogbia has come on at Wigan (I can't think of any other promising youngsters who were at the club during these times).

As mentioned earlier, I also think Taylor would benefit from proper direction, he needs his role defined.

Milner, Carroll, N'Zogbia & maybe even Krul, have had the exact same coaching staff as Taylor, yet they were far better even in their Newcastle days towards the end than what Taylor is. In the past he always had the excuse "anyone would look bad alongside O'Brien, Bramble, Boumsong, etc", when maybe this fact helped cloud the fact he was distinctly average himself.

Milner, Carroll, N'Zogbia & maybe even Krul, have had the exact same coaching staff as Taylor, yet they were far better even in their Newcastle days towards the end than what Taylor is. In the past he always had the excuse "anyone would look bad alongside O'Brien, Bramble, Boumsong, etc", when maybe this fact helped cloud the fact he was distinctly average himself.

Milner was nowhere near the player he was at Villan hence he wasn't realising his potential at this club. Carroll was nowhere near the teamduring the souness/roeder days, N'zogbia is the same as milner and Krul hasn't really proved anything yet.

Im nopt one of these taylor fans who's blinded by his avergaeness, my only point is that ive seen good enough performances in the past to suggest that there is a good plyer in him, in the right circumstances, and ive pinpointed those circumstances beingdown to the roles he's playing in defence.

Milner was nowhere near the player he was at Villan hence he wasn't realising his potential at this club. Carroll was nowhere near the teamduring the souness/roeder days, N'zogbia is the same as milner and Krul hasn't really proved anything yet.

Im nopt one of these taylor fans who's blinded by his avergaeness, my only point is that ive seen good enough performances in the past to suggest that there is a good plyer in him, in the right circumstances, and ive pinpointed those circumstances beingdown to the roles he's playing in defence.

Milner and N'Zogbia were exactly the same players for Newcastle. I can remember seeing Milner for the first time against boro and thinking what a great prospect he looked. The blame should go on our array of shit managers after SBR who thought the team revolved around the Butts, Duffs and the Smiths at the club and failed to use the younger players to their full potential.

Terry was 23 at that time and was already starting for his country and captaining his club.

Yeah, and Woodgate was 23 when we bought him. But already then, he was a complete stopper. Taylor is now two years older, and he's still s***. The amateur faults he pulled off against Everton still amaze me. I could have understood them if they were of the less serious kind. Being just back from injury could then been an excuse. But not pressuring Arteta and inviting him into the box, is a humongous error at that level and shows a lack of football intelligence. And he cannot use lack of experience as an excuse either...

24, no?

My point was clearly to point out the fact that you were clearly talking bollocks.

Terry was 23 at that time and was already starting for his country and captaining his club.

Yeah, and Woodgate was 23 when we bought him. But already then, he was a complete stopper. Taylor is

Yeah, and Woodgate was 23 when we bought him. But already then, he was a complete stopper. Taylor is now two years older, and he's still s***. The amateur faults he pulled off against Everton still amaze me. I could have understood them if they were of the less serious kind. Being just back from injury could then been an excuse. But not pressuring Arteta and inviting him into the box, is a humongous error at that level and shows a lack of football intelligence. And he cannot use lack of experience as an excuse either...

now two years older, and he's still s***. The amateur faults he pulled off against Everton still amaze me. I could have understood them if they were of the less serious kind. Being just back from injury could then been an excuse. But not pressuring Arteta and inviting him into the box, is a humongous error at that level and shows a lack of football intelligence. And he cannot use lack of experience as an excuse either...

Woodgate was the best defender we've had in my time as a fan (1980 onwards), so it's harsh to compare Taylor with him.

Did the amateur faults by Williamson this season (conveniently forgotten by many Taylor haters) shock you?

24, no?

My point was clearly to point out the fact that you were clearly talking bollocks.

Ok then, even though i dont remember Terry ever having the hype surrounding him that the likes of ferdinand/sol and woodgate got, would you like me to choose another defender who blossomed later on in thier career?! Would that make you feel better?

Yeah, and Woodgate was 23 when we bought him. But already then, he was a complete stopper. Taylor is

now two years older, and he's still s***. The amateur faults he pulled off against Everton still amaze me. I could have understood them if they were of the less serious kind. Being just back from injury could then been an excuse. But not pressuring Arteta and inviting him into the box, is a humongous error at that level and shows a lack of football intelligence. And he cannot use lack of experience as an excuse either...

Woodgate was the best defender we've had in my time as a fan (1980 onwards), so it's harsh to compare Taylor with him.

Did the amateur faults by Williamson this season (conveniently forgotten by many Taylor haters) shock you?

Williamson has made some mistakes, but none as "obvious" as the one Taylor pulled of against Everton. And this is Williamson's first PL season, a excuse that doesn't apply for Taylor.  Williamson is now just as good a stopper as Taylor, and that feat he managed in just one lousy season. Taylor on the other hasn't developed since his early 20s.

We should sell him ASAP while he's still worth something to someone! Is there really anyone who still believes that Taylor will make it at this level? Every time he comes back from an injury he just messes up the good work our defence has been doing in the previous matches! Name a match where Taylor impressed you with his performance last time...because I can't.

From the positives if there's any...even Pardew clearly saw what's wrong with the team and took Steven off the pitch and moved players to their preferred positions which immediately improved the general look of the defence. I'm not sure if Hughton noticed the same but his substitutions were never correct and he never took off players who clearly let the team down or was it just his endless confidence of players ability to turn it around :idiot2:

We should sell him ASAP while he's still worth something to someone! Is there really anyone who still believes that Taylor will make it at this level? Every time he comes back from an injury he just messes up the good work our defence has been doing in the previous matches! Name a match where Taylor impressed you with his performance last time...because I can't.

From the positives if there's any...even Pardew clearly saw what's wrong with the team and took Steven off the pitch and moved players to their preferred positions which immediately improved the general look of the defence. I'm not sure if Hughton noticed the same but his substitutions were never correct and he never took off players who clearly let the team down or was it just his endless confidence of players ability to turn it around :idiot2:

I 100% agree with you. Sell him, and use the money to keep Jose.