Shola Ameobi

Keefaz

Standard Shola to come back from injury with a good performance. Happens frequently. His injury record since the hip thing really does stink, like. I hope he stays fit until the end of the season cos i reckon he'll get four or five goals.

I find myself respecting Shola more and more these days. He continues to put his body on the line and has done so now for a number of years, particularly through his hip problems a while back.  It's remarkable he's been around so long, but I was chuffed for him for that performance. Arguably the most critical game of the season and he ran their defence ragged. We really needed him, and it was just great stuff by the man.

Agreed. His progress has been hampered injuries too. He was in really good form at the start of the season, before a injury once again stopped him. The away game against Arsenal was the best game I've ever seen from him. Didn't score a goal, but he worked his socks of. He had to switch between being a fifth midfielder and supporting Carroll.  Also he held onto the ball so the rest of the team could move higher up. 

I get frustrated with the amount of stick that Shola gets, and that's not just because he's a better player than he's usually given credit for. He's always been willing - as now with the face mask - to turn out even when half-fit and put his body on the line. I suspect that's often been to his long-term cost. What's more, when he's on the pitch he never hides but is always prepared to show for the ball and try something even when things aren't going well. All this against a background of unfair criticism. Whatever you might think about his ability, there's no question IMO about his character. He always puts the team and the club before himself.

If we ever win a trophy, the player who I would most like to see score the winning goal is Shola. No-one deserves it more.

I find myself respecting Shola more and more these days. He continues to put his body on the line and has done so now for a number of years, particularly through his hip problems a while back.  It's remarkable he's been around so long, but I was chuffed for him for that performance. Arguably the most critical game of the season and he ran their defence ragged. We really needed him, and it was just great stuff by the man.

Agreed. His progress has been hampered injuries too. He was in really good form at the start of the season, before a injury once again stopped him. The away game against Arsenal was the best game I've ever seen from him. Didn't score a goal, but he worked his socks of. He had to switch between being a fifth midfielder and supporting Carroll.  Also he held onto the ball so the rest of the team could move higher up. 

I get frustrated with the amount of stick that Shola gets, and that's not just because he's a better player than he's usually given credit for. He's always been willing - as now with the face mask - to turn out even when half-fit and put his body on the line. I suspect that's often been to his long-term cost. What's more, when he's on the pitch he never hides but is always prepared to show for the ball and try something even when things aren't going well. All this against a background of unfair criticism. Whatever you might think about his ability, there's no question IMO about his character. He always puts the team and the club before himself.

If we ever win a trophy, the player who I would most like to see score the winning goal is Shola. No-one deserves it more.

Agreed, I don't cringe when I see his name on the team sheet any more either. Through character and perseverance he's risen above the assorted journeymen and high-paid failures that have taken his place over the years.

Would love to attend his testimonial!

He's not good enough and I don't care how often he plays with injuries.  He deserves some credit for it but it doesn't make him and better than he actually is and he doesn't have a good 90 minutes often enough when played, for whatever reason.

aGREE 100%, HE'S A CROCK OF SHIT.

:lol:

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Thought he was good until the 60 minute mark when all energy seemed to leave his body.  :lol:

Agreed, I don't cringe when I see his name on the team sheet any more either. Through character and perseverance he's risen above the assorted journeymen and high-paid failures that have taken his place over the years.

Would love to attend his testimonial!

I've always liked Shola, but that statement's only because of the selection of strikers we've had available for the last two seasons. When we had Martins, Owen, Viduka and so on, the guy was completely done. Keegan even went so far as to ship him out on loan. I can remember when he played at home to Man City in the relegation season and scored (finished 2-2), even then it was like the return of a dead man. Credit to him for getting back into physical shape, disregarding the injuries that've always hampered him... but there's no way Ameobi should be our number 1 striker in 2011. It beggars belief to see us still relying on him.

Guest Howaythetoon

8 goals in 24 appearances, 7 as a sub, is pretty decent going. I've always liked Shola and consider him a decent back-up option in the Premier League as he is proving. He is nowhere near as bad as many have him down as, although he shouldn't be starting every game that's for sure. I also think he deserves credit for the heart he shows for this club and his loyalty to the cause, often to the detriment to his own personal health and fitness. He's a credit to himself and the academy.

"You need to know you're appreciated and Alan Pardew has instilled a lot of confidence in me," said Ameobi who, with the exceptions of Glenn Roeder and Chris Hughton, was sometimes underminded by certain former Newcastle managers but is arguably more talented than Andy Carroll. "It's great and he's the same with all the players."

OBICHRISKENOBI WARNING AREA - OPINIONS MAY BE GIVEN

The bit in bold is correct, Shola doesn't have the consistency (yet) that Carroll showed in his first half to the season, but if he'd ever shown that consistency he'd be several places higher on the all-time goalscorer list. (Although 10th is pretty commendable, especially for a local-grown player and supporter).

Think the guy is a fantastic role model for younger players, the majority of whom won't have a Rooney type career but will struggle to realise that they can still have a productive and worthwhile career without being in the elite bracket of players.

Also, I appreciate that these types of comments only come out from the playing squad when the current manager is in situ, but we're consistently hearing good things about Pards. Reluctantly likeable guy.

He's a better player now than when Keegan tried to get rid of him. And even if it is because of our limited options up front, he's been presented with a chance and he's taken it.

I'm not saying he's a world beater, but we aren't Man Utd either. He's a capable Premier League striker now and I'd be happy for him to play a big part next season.

He's just had a good game against Wolves, the lot of you want to wake up. It's a fucking disgrace if he's playing 'a big part' next season.

Probably want to read the posts first :thup:

He's just had a good game against Wolves, the lot of you want to wake up. It's a fucking disgrace if he's playing 'a big part' next season.

Ronaldo is right. Don't ever make me say this again.

You can't actually believe that we'll sign 3 or 4 strikers though? Because if we don't Shola clearly has a big part to play.

At the moment he's our number 1, so the pecking order would have to change a hell of a lot for him not to.

You can't actually believe that we'll sign 3 or 4 strikers though? Because if we don't Shola clearly has a big part to play.

At the moment he's our number 1, so the pecking order would have to change a hell of a lot for him not to.

We need to do something, because Shola's legs will fall off, his hips will pop out... even his cheeks will cease to function correctly.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2011/04/04/shola-ameobi-is-trying-to-mask-the-pain-61634-28453216/#ixzz1IY2CWFAS

Shola Ameobi is trying to mask the pain

by Luke Edwards, The Journal

Apr 4 2011

SHOLA Ameobi cannot wait to get rid of the face mask which hurts him every time he heads the ball.

But Newcastle United’s long-suffering striker is adamant he will continue to play through the pain.

Ameobi was magnificent in the vital 4-1 victory over Wolverhampton Wanderers, which has pushed the Magpies seven points clear of the drop zone with just seven games left to play. And his performance was made all the more impressive by the fact the striker, who has always had more than his fair share of critics on Tyneside, is struggling to cope with the mask which protects the fractured cheekbone he suffered against Fulham in February.

It was an injury Ameobi feared would end his season before a trip to America allowed him to play with the use of a plastic mask used by basketball players.

“It’s sore, really sore,” said Ameobi, after notching his first goal since the January 2 victory over Wigan Athletic. “Every time I head the ball, it is hard plastic so it smashes against your face.

“I got a boot in the face, the back of someone’s head in the face, it hurts. It’s all part and parcel of it.

“The mask has given me a chance to play and that’s what I wanted. My goal was a header, so the mask is working.

“When I catch the ball right on the forehead it’s fine, but you’re never going to get it on your forehead all the time and it really hurts when you don’t.

“You get banged and whacked, there are elbows flying. Hopefully I’ve only got to put up with it for another couple of weeks. The surgeon wants me to wear it until the end of the season, but I can’t wait to ditch it. I think it might get dumped sooner than that.

“I wasn’t sure about it at first, but I’ve got used to it and I’m putting myself about.

“We’re in a dogfight. We need to fight and I need to set an example up front.

“The manager wanted me to set an example, he wanted me to lead the line, and the least you can do is put yourself about and work hard. We did that as a team.” Newcastle were two goals up at half-time through goals from Kevin Nolan and Ameobi, and appeared to be cruising when Peter Lovenkrands made it three.

However, Wolves made them work for the win after making it 3-1 with more than half-an-hour to play. United made the game safe thanks to a wonderful individual effort from Jonas Gutierrez, and Ameobi feels it was a superb response to a highly pressurised situation.

He said: “It’s a really big win. These are the sorts of games you want to play in if you have anything about you.

“It was a six-pointer and it’s a good feeling that we can get ourselves in the right frame of mind as a team and play as well as that.

“We talked about what happened two years ago. We were looking over our shoulders, there was no point beating around the bush. We’d lost our last couple of games. We were only four points above the relegation zone and you can get sucked into that very easily.

“We knew that, we’ve been through it. Relegation was mentioned, we don’t kid ourselves. Two years ago we probably didn’t take it as seriously, we thought we’d be fine, even when we slipped into it, even when we were losing games.

“When teams are beating everyone, we needed this win. Nobody is safe, we’re still not.

“Before the game, from 11th down, all the teams were in a tough position.

“It’s great we’ve come away from this game and we’re nearly there. It pushes them (Wolves) further away from us. There was a lot of pressure on us, but we’ve come through it really well. Everyone produced a performance.” Ameobi’s contribution delighted manager Alan Pardew, who even went as far as to rate the 29-year-old as among the best strikers he has worked with, even comparing him to Carlos Tevez.

That drew a smile from Ameobi, although he is grateful to have a manager who believes in him.

He added: “You need confidence as a player, you need to know your manager appreciates you.

“He has instilled a lot of confidence in me, it’s just a shame I haven’t been able to play as many games for him as I would have liked because of injury.”