Would you take 17th place right now ?

Guest palnese
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

That's like saying Chelsea would take 2nd if they lost Drogba, Essien & Lampard for long enough.

Not really, if you're aiming to win the league you can fall short and still have done well.

If you're aiming to stay up and fall short it's a fucking disaster.

That's like saying Chelsea would take 2nd if they lost Drogba, Essien & Lampard for long enough.

Not really, if you're aiming to win the league you can fall short and still have done well.

If you're aiming to stay up and fall short it's a f***ing disaster.

If I thought we were the 3rd or 4th worst team in the league, I'd agree.

Apart from about £2m in prize money, is there any real difference in finishing 14th or 17th? Is it really that much more of an achievement finishing 14th compared to 17th - you've stayed up, not qualified for Europe etc.

I do want to finish as high as possible btw, just can't see that much difference in finishing 14th or 17th.  ???

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Would you not call Harper, Ben Arfa, Simpson and Taylor key injuries? They've missed a big chunk and yet we're still top half.

We can survive without them. I dread to think what would happen if we lost Jonas, Jose and Tiote. Or Carroll for that matter.

14th means we've had a pretty comfortable season, 17th means we've been dogshit and stayed up by the skin of our teeth.

It's still better than being in the Championship next season.

14th means we've had a pretty comfortable season, 17th means we've been dogshit and stayed up by the skin of our teeth.

What if there's only 2 points between 14th and 17th?

I know I'm being a dick btw

Like I say, if you think we've got the 3rd or 4th worst squad them fair enough. 

Like I say, if you think we've got the 3rd or 4th worst squad them fair enough. 

If you want to completely make up what I think, then fair enough.

Well the other way to read it is you'd sooner 17th than relegation which is pretty f***ing obvious. :lol:

I'd sooner take 17th than run the risk of trying to finish as high as possible and ending up getting relegated. Every place over 17th is a bonus for me, this season.

Well the other way to read it is you'd sooner 17th than relegation which is pretty f***ing obvious. :lol:

I'd sooner take 17th than run the risk of trying to finish as high as possible and ending up getting relegated. Every place over 17th is a bonus for me, this season.

Who's said that? If that's the theme of the thread it's stupid. It's like starting a thread where you've been in a car crash with a good chance of a good recovery then saying, "Well a full recovery is a bonus but I'd take having my legs being amputated over dying".

I know it's hard to truly say personally, but I would, if I were in your position. It wouldn't mean I was thrilled by it but survival is survival. I think realistically you could finish anywhere as high as 11th, so yes while there's nowt wrong with aiming high, survival of any sort is the key, surely?

Guest firetotheworks

I'll take it. History shows that teams don't play well and win away from home forever, and those with poor home form go down. I don't want us to go down, that's still my aim at this point, anything beyond would be quite astounding, and I'd bow down to the Church of Hughton.

So the point is survival or relegation. Well dur, worst thread ever.

Well no, it's about whether (hypothetically given the choice now) you would accept 17th place or prefer to take your chances with relegation.

It's also not about being 'happy' about 17th, or 'aiming for 17th'.

It's a subtle distinction I'll admit  :tongue:

I think the team in 17th place this season will need about 38 or 39 points. That's 10 wins and 8/9 draws, or 11 wins and 5/6 draws... and so on - you can go back the other way and say 9 wins x draws or even further back - but whatever the makeup of these points, I think we'll get them and quite possibly a few more on top.

I think we'll get about 43 points this season.

This post will almost certainly make me look either brilliant or terribly foolish come May, guess we'll see. :lol:

So the point is survival or relegation. Well dur, worst thread ever.

Well why do you keep posting in it? :lol:

Because I thought this forum was better than having threads discussing the footballing equivalent of being asked whether I'd take living over being dead.