Would you take 17th place right now ?

Guest palnese
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2010/11/26/europe-s-still-the-ultimate-dream-61634-27719520/?

This season we have to concentrate on trying to get 45 points.

Safety is all that matters, but after that we can hopefully keep building and get this club back to where it should be.

Interesting; certainly sounds like that's been mentioned within the club as the first target this year.

For the record, as an average across the last five seasons 45pts would see you finishing about 12th. I think we'd all take that for our first year back.

basically thats a case of taking the old saying of "need 40points" and add 5 so as not to sound like we are already in a relegation fight.

For the record, as an average across the last five seasons 45pts would see you finishing about 12th. I think we'd all take that for our first year back.

This sentence is useless without graphs!!

Still a no, though.

I'd take it right now, but would still be disappointed tbh. Just that going down would be so disasterous for us.

But then again, would 17th place to good enough to attract the quality of player that we need to improve next summer? I think if we can finish around 10-13th, then we would be a much more appealing proposition.

Can't help that finishing 17th will set us back a bit (obviously not as bad as relegation) and we could potentially lose players, rather than add to it. If we finish mid-table, we can hold onto said players and build on it on the back of 'making progress'.

Guest Roger Kint

But then again, would 17th place to good enough to attract the quality of player that we need to improve next summer? I think if we can finish around 10-13th, then we would be a much more appealing proposition.

Have you heard of Mike Ashley? ;D

Have you heard of Mike Ashley? ;D

;D

Still no ... oh, and here are those stats you ordered

Teams who were 9th after 15 games, a look back.

Season TeamFinal Position
00-01Sunderland

7th

01-02Manchester United

3rd

02-03Blackburn

6th

03-04Birmingham City

10th

04-05Manchester City

8th

05-06West Ham

9th

06-07Everton

6th

07-08Everton

5th

08-09Bolton

13th

09-10Birmingham City

9th

And anyone thinking this is an unusually congested table after 15 games should really review prior season on statto.com - it's not really THAT unusual.  I don't have the time to make graphs of it all, just trust me.  Things look much better than 17th right now.

To be fair, at the 15 game mark, it's spreading out finally. We're 5 points clear of relegation. Maybe not a major amount, but nothing to get worried about just yet.

and as Dave said a while back, we have a massive goal difference in our favour.

I take it he said that before Bolton? I've got no worries about us getting relegated, but goal difference won't mean much if we do manage to get dragged into it. By the time we've lost the games for us to drop down in the battle, we'll probably have the same kind of goal difference as them.

Guest Roger Kint

Good chance of beating Liverpool. Have lost last 5 away games, will be without Carragher and Agger i think too

To be honest thats our best chance of 3 points til January. WBA & Brum are the sort of games we dont win

Good chance of beating Liverpool. Have lost last 5 away games, will be without Carragher and Agger i think too

To be honest thats our best chance of 3 points til January. WBA & Brum are the sort of games we dont win

???

I do kinda get where he's coming from, they both have very good home form (WBA lost 2 in 7, Birmingham 1 in 7).

Guest SuperShola!

Nah. We're going to Europe man. 6-7th I say. It would be fantastic if our last match of the season puts us 7th and we knock the scum out of the top 7. I would love that!

Guest palnese

Personally, I think 6th place is well up for grabs this season.  With a bit more consistency we would be well up there.

Not a chance. Our squad isn't good enough.

Personally, I think 6th place is well up for grabs this season.  With a bit more consistency we would be well up there.

Not a chance. Our squad isn't good enough.

There are squads below us that on paper are definately good enough but are not performing currently.

You would have said our squad was too good to go down in the first place.

Squads are important but so are so many other factors come into it.

Its not an impossible task for us - I bet the players of the record would agree with that too.

Eh? Didn't they just beat Bolton the other week away and they got a point at Wigan recently.