Would you take 17th place right now ?

Guest palnese
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Before the season started, I'd have snatched your hand off for it. However wins away against Everton, West Ham and Arsenal coupled with the home demolitions of Villa and the unwashed lead me to hope we'll do a bit better than that.

It would take something of an implosion to finish 17th now, which of course we're capable of, but I'm still aiming a bit higher. We're 4th now with 2 very winnable games coming up, but I'd say mid table would be what I'm looking for now.

Still can't quite believe it that if we would have won against Stoke, Blackpool and Wigan (which we said we 'had to' before the season) we had been 1 point behind Chelsea. :lol:

And take away the robbing against City and we would have been level with them :lol:

Still can't quite believe it that if we would have won against Stoke, Blackpool and Wigan (which we said we 'had to' before the season) we had been 1 point behind Chelsea. :lol:

And take away the robbing against City and we would have been level with them :lol:

Aye. But I'm still very happy with our start to the season.

Aye. But I'm still very happy with our start to the season.

I'm a bit disappointed tbh, would've hoped to at least be in a Champions League spot after 11 games ;)

No.

Not that we're not capable of losing games and being dragged into it - we certainly are - we're just not playing like a relegation candidate at present. Even when we've been s*** (Wigan, basically) our character has got us something.

We're better than 17th, and proving it.

I think that's it for me. We'll have spells where we go 3-4 games without a win, but I think we'll always win 2-3 on the bounce too to finish with around 50 points. Very comfortable mid-table.

Can't believe anyone saying yes to this right now.

IMO we have proven that we should be no where near the relegation zone come May. Today we've beaten one of the best teams in the league at their place, if that is not an indicator that we can beat anyone, I don't know what is. We've already won more away games than we did in the entire 08/09 season, we are scoring more goals and our defence is looking a hell of a lot more solid. We've shown that we don't stop fighting when we go a goal down, in fact, it has often made us wake up and go on from there.

I say we should be looking at a top half finish, and be happy enough with a 10-13th finish. Anything from 15 and down and I'd be disappointed at this stage.

IMO we have proven that we should be no where near the relegation zone come May. Today we've beaten one of the best teams in the league at their place, if that is not an indicator that we can beat anyone, I don't know what is. We've already won more away games than we did in the entire 08/09 season, we are scoring more goals and our defence is looking a hell of a lot more solid. We've shown that we don't stop fighting when we go a goal down, in fact, it has often made us wake up and go on from there.

I say we should be looking at a top half finish, and be happy enough with a 10-13th finish. Anything from 15 and down and I'd be disappointed at this stage.

And a few weeks ago, we lost two and drew one against three of the worst teams in the league.

I'm fucking delighted about where we are and how well we're doing atm, but beating Arsenal and Sunderland doesn't mean we didn't lose to Blackpool and Stoke.

Who knows, maybe those still saying yes just feel like this is too good to be true. I still wouldn't say yes, but I still feel like this is too easy and something has to happen to make it harder, this being Newcastle.

As has been said/implied throughout this thread no doubt, it's a bit of an empty question. What does "looking at" the top half or "aiming" for mid-table actually mean? You, obviously, aim to win every game and see where that gets you.

Evidentially, you've shown you have the quality and passion/drive to finish well above 17th, and from this point it would of course be disappointing to finish that low.

And a few weeks ago, we lost two and drew one against three of the worst teams in the league.

I'm fucking delighted about where we are and how well we're doing atm, but beating Arsenal and Sunderland doesn't mean we didn't lose to Blackpool and Stoke.

No, but it should mean that we are very capable of getting more than enough points to stay clear of the relegation battle.

Of course things can happen during the season, Carroll might get AIDS or Colo cut his hair, but I can't see us going on such horrible runs as we did last time around, which we would have to do now to drop into the relegation zone.

Have been a staunch 'yes' from day 1 but going to Arsenal and winning is significant. It basically proves we can pick up points in just about any of the next 27 fixtures.

Two big home games to come and we need to be filling our boots and start thinking of the top 10. It's now a 'no'. We can have a really good season and not get involved with the relegation scrap. :)

I'm f***ing delighted about where we are and how well we're doing atm, but beating Arsenal and Sunderland doesn't mean we didn't lose to Blackpool and Stoke.

No, but it should mean that we are very capable of getting more than enough points to stay clear of the relegation battle.

Of course things can happen during the season, Carroll might get AIDS or Colo cut his hair, but I can't see us going on such horrible runs as we did last time around, which we would have to do now to drop into the relegation zone.

We lose to Blackburn and Fulham and we could drop right back into the bottom crop of teams - not only is the league that close, but until we can pull the finger out and win the games we should be winning, I'll be happy with survival.

If we get reasonable results in the next 2 games, I think that's basically it settled. We've then proven we can beat the dross, we can compete with the top teams, we can put runs together, we can bounce back. And at that point, I genuinely will be looking at top half for the season.

But if we don't, God damn it's gonna be some gloom and doom in here again.

Have been a staunch 'yes' from day 1 but going to Arsenal and winning is significant. It basically proves we can pick up points in just about any of the next 27 fixtures.

Two big home games to come and we need to be filling our boots and start thinking of the top 10. It's now a 'no'. We can have a really good season and not get involved with the relegation scrap. :)

I just hope for your sake you can win the games you should be winning. The only thing stopping me thinking you could well finish in the top 10 this year is how you perform when the impetus is on you to go and win the game. The Villa and Sunderland games were superb results don't get me wrong, but I honestly think they were slightly out of sync from what the norm will be - Villa and Sunderland were worse than anyone could have predicted. Not to take away the fact you played very well in both like. These next 2 games are a perfect acid test as to how you'll do this season, IMO.

I for one can't see us losing against both and Blackburn and Fulham tbh. I think we're looking at at worst two points from those two games, with four being a realistic target. We're in good form now, certainly better than both Fulham and Blackburn, we should be able to pick up points against them. I know the same can and will be said about Stoke and Blackpool, I think they were more fluke results rather than Villa/Sunderland/Everton/West Ham.

I just hope for your sake you can win the games you should be winning. The only thing stopping me thinking you could well finish in the top 10 this year is how you perform when the impetus is on you to go and win the game. The Villa and Sunderland games were superb results don't get me wrong, but I honestly think they were slightly out of sync from what the norm will be - Villa and Sunderland were worse than anyone could have predicted. Not to take away the fact you played very well in both like. These next 2 games are a perfect acid test as to how you'll do this season, IMO.

You build form around winning the games like Blackburn/Stoke at home, we're not going to get build form around winning at Everton and Arsenal every week - those results won't continue and when they go, we need the home form to keep that momentum going.

I for one can't see us losing against both and Blackburn and Fulham tbh. I think we're looking at at worst two points from those two games, with four being a realistic target. We're in good form now, certainly better than both Fulham and Blackburn, we should be able to pick up points against them. I know the same can and will be said about Stoke and Blackpool, I think they were more fluke results rather than Villa/Sunderland/Everton/West Ham.

How do you mean?