Cheeky Bastards !

NG32

From NUFC.COm

Guardian artcicle

Mutko the

Magpie muckraker? 

From The Guardian, Tuesday, the following article (available in full here) appeared, with a featured bullet point of:

"Lokomotiv banner no worse

than Newcastle in 2007"

Russia's sports minister, Vitaly Mutko, today defended the country's 2018 World Cup bid against allegations of corruption and of racism among fans.

With less than three months until Fifa's executive committee holds a secret ballot in Zurich to decide the venue for the 2018 tournament, the bidding nations are campaigning in earnest. While Mutko refused to say whether he believed Russia and England were the favourites to host the 2018 World Cup, assessing his bid's chances simply as "good", he claimed he had great respect for England's.

But the minister – speaking at Moscow's Luzhniki stadium, which would host the final if the event went to Russia — also expressed his exasperation with the recent negative coverage of his country's bid. He pointedly declared that it was wrong for countries to "gloat" at each other's difficulties.

Mutko repeatedly expressed his warm feelings towards the English game but said that these sentiments were not always reciprocated. "We respect English football. We respect the English more than they respect us," he said. "I can't find a reason for such dislike [in the British press] for Russia's bid."

His remarks come after Lokomotiv Moscow fans celebrated Peter Odemwingie's recent sale to West Bromwich with a banner showing a banana and the message: "Thanks West Brom". Mutko, though, claimed that he had come across unpleasant sentiments when he attended a Newcastle United match three years ago.

We've asked The Guardian whether their journalist Luke Harding either challenged Mutko's assertion or sought to confirm the exact incident to which he was referring.

:angry:

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Shit stirring.

There are no direct quotes from him saying exactly what the incident was. If it was such a strong point of defense in his case, he'd have date, time, match and exactly what happened down in print. Instead, the Gaurdian throw away the meat of their 'headline' in nothing sentance in the middle of the entire story.

'Journalism' at its worst.

This idea that Geordies are inherently racist is somewhat ridiculous in its own prejudice. Even if it were true, how does that make it any more okay for their fans to do it? It's a childish argument of " they did it too!". Pathetic.

The standard of journalism at the Grauniad lacks integrity. They consistently fail to investigate and corroborate stories. The club and/or the NUST should be nipping this in the bud.

Response taken from .com

We asked journalist Luke Harding whether he challenged Mutko's assertion or sought to confirm the exact incident to which he was referring. Here's his reply:

I met Vitaly Mutko yesterday at a round-table event in Moscow organised by Russia's 2018 World Cup bid committee.

(Another journalist)...asked him about fan racism in Russia in the wake of the Lokomotiv scandal. Mutko did not directly accuse Newcastle fans of racism. He said:

"With fans that issue (racism) is always very complicated. About three years ago I went to England and Newcastle, and attended a match as just another fan.

"I had a fantastic impression. In terms of morality if you take a pencil you can write down some of the things you find there."

Mutko went on to say that 53 per cent of players in the Russian premier league were foreigners, with 5 per cent from Africa, and a very high proportion of foreigners at CSKA.

Of the Lokomotiv incident he said: 'If there is something insulting I am ready to apologize for it.' But he said this should not prevent Russia from winning its World Cup bid.

Guest Roger Kint

So the Guardian suggest our wrong doing them claim its the work of another reporter? In that case why use his own words and not the original quote? Shitstirring little prick :angry:

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I'm no lawyer, but, can't the club, or even the city of Newcastle, claim this as slander? There's no direct evidence that this guy has even said Newcastle were Racist. He said that he came here and had a great impression - that could mean anything. Could mean he was impressed with how Newcastle and England have dealt with racism, or could mean he was impressed in general.

This has me fuming

Mutko, though, claimed that he had come across unpleasant sentiments when he attended a Newcastle United match three years ago.

"I had a fantastic impression. In terms of morality if you take a pencil you can write down some of the things you find there."

Errr....  ???

I recently accused one of their journalists of joining this Guardian tirade of misdirected racism accusations, Marina Hyde.

She wrote an article following Louise Taylor's piece about us all being racist because a few people were singing songs directed at Mido a few years ago.

I was instantly banned form their Comment is Free boards. I have asked their 'people' what I had done wrong, and apparently you can be banned for accusing any of their journalists of anything immoral or wrong.

Whereas those Metropolitan privately-educated elites can continue spreading their hatred (and jealousy) of the North whenever it suits them on the pages of the coalition-supporting Guardian.

I used to think it was a decent paper, but I now believe all journalists are opportunist scum.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

You know, this is the perfect chance for NUFC to regain favour with the whole of the North-East, or at least people who live in Newcastle who are being branded as Racists by The Guardian. They should really look at using their power, and their lawyers, to drag the papers through the coals for this unwarrented attack on the North-East.

I can't believe there's nothing that can't be done about this.