Realistic Transfer Targets January 2011

Guest koenji

Keane is just typical of the signings we made in the past. He'd be a good short term solution but we really shouldn't be spending big on fees or wages with him - let some other mugs do that.

+1

I'd have liked Maynard at the start of the season, but now we'll have to wait to see if he recovers from his injury, and by then Ranger could quite easily be at the same level in terms of ability.

Guest Roger Kint

Howay then, humour me. Who's available that we could attract?

Unless taxfree is a agent or scout what makes you think he knows who is available? Its a managers job to find this out not a fans. Just because he has a valid opinion on an over the hill, overpaid, overrated footballer you feel he must have all the answers?

I'm suggesting Keane as a solution, he's saying no. I'm therefore asking him who the alternative would be. If this was the attitude to everything, we wouldn't even have a 'discussion' forum at all.

So having a discussion over whether you rate him isnt a discussion, just the part where one party decides to ask an unanswerable question is a discussion. Good theory.........

Guest Roger Kint

Keane is just typical of the signings we made in the past. He'd be a good short term solution but we really shouldn't be spending big on fees or wages with him - let some other mugs do that.

+1

This definately!

+1

:sadnod: Aren't we supposed to have a complex web of International scouts? Should be no need to bring in washed up British/Irish players.

+1

This definately!

This detinately!

+1

I'd have liked Maynard at the start of the season, but know we'll have to wait to see if he recovers from his injury, and by then Ranger could quite easily be at the same level in terms of ability.

I would see the signing of Keane being something very similar to Ben Arfa. Short term, high wages, high fee but a gamble which would help achieve our short term goal of staying up

+1

I'd have liked Maynard at the start of the season, but now we'll have to wait to see if he recovers from his injury, and by then Ranger could quite easily be at the same level in terms of ability.

I would see the signing of Keane being something very similar to Ben Arfa. Short term, high wages, high fee but a gamble which would help achieve our short term goal of staying up

Ben Arfa is 23, Keane is 30 and on a hell of a lot more money than HBA. Keane's not playing for a reason and is finished at top level, HBA journey was just about to begin in the Prem while Keanes is at an end.

HBA was the right kind of gamble which hasn't paid off to no fault of our own (or his) the Keane gamble is just not good enough in terms of long term payout and not worth doing. A loan at the very most till the end of the season, but I wouldn't want a 31yr Keane on the books and neither does Redknapp.

Both are equally bollocks comparisons though. Keane just needs a fresh start. Still a cracking striker iyam.

It's very similar to Owen when leaving here, except he was even less of a gamble as he was on a free.

Keane's on the downward slope, man.

So, while he's no longer good enough for a top 6 team he would almost certainly be good enough for a lower mid-table team like ourselves.

Just because he's not as good as he once was, he still has plenty to offer.

He'd score goals for us and be good in the short term.

But it's hardly bulidng for the future is it, having a 31 year old on a contract till he's atleast 34 and on big wages (which he will be). Ashley wouldn't even consider it permanently tbh, and rightly so. It's exactly the kind of signing that put is in a mess in the first place.

I'd rather put in a bid for Ebanks-Blake or Fletcher from Wolves than spend a similar amount of money on Robbie Keane. Would be a good  6 month loan singing though, but again I would prefer Vela or Macheda on loan if possible

I'd rather put in a bid for Ebanks-Blake or Fletcher from Wolves than spend a similar amount of money on Robbie Keane. Would be a good  6 month loan singing though, but again I would prefer Vela or Macheda on loan if possible

Ranger is better than Macheda. I wouldn't have Ebanks-Blake either, but Fletcher is quality.

I think Vela on loan would be a great move, even better with an option to buy

Roobie Keane is still only 30 ffs and with the exception of Carroll, infinitely better than any of our other strikers.

He'd be a very good signing for us, him and AC could be a great strike pairing.

So was Michael Owen two days ago.