Chelsea 3 - 4 Newcastle United - 22/09/10 - post match reaction from page 45

Dave

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/104361429.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF87892102A727B1636DE2E6F5CE9ECE2C74AEA5F2B30136CF043068A5305E4985826009

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/104361491.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF87892102A727B1636DE2E61D58ED0412C573D3F2B30136CF043068678A43A40BAFC8B0

http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/104361395.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF87892102A727B1636DE2E6846ACA6961E1DFCBF2B30136CF0430684D409854B72AE210

The best thing about watching the highlights for me is seeing the looks on the faces of the Chelsea fans as we were banging the goals in and particularly after Ameobi's winner!

Oh and as the players came out of the tunnel I caught sight of what looked to be about six youngish Chinese Chelsea fans all clad in strips complete with scarves and flags and cameras snapping away.........UNLUCKY you glory hunting turds :lol:

Every so often, there is a game which, for several reasons, sticks in the memories of both clubs' fans ; this was one of those and in some ways a bit like the Newcastle-Man City game at SJP in 1968 which finished with the same scoreline.

This match had almost everything and was unbelievable entertainment - even the Chelsea fans must have taken something out of it having seen their team come back to 3-3 with 10 men, but the performance of the mostly reserve Newcastle team was excellent.

Ferguson had a brilliant game at LB and if this is anything to go by, he has a great future in the game.

Wasn't overawed by anything and created a great equalizer for Ranger who also played well.

Campbell and Coloccini were generally good at the back once they sorted themselves out and it took two good efforts from Anelka to keep Chelsea in it.

What can you say about Ameobi !? It must be a nightmare for defenders because 9 times out of 10 they know that they'll have him in their pocket, but on the 10th time....Oh Boy..!

He was obviously up for this match and both of his goals were superb - he should have had another before the XT header as well...Lovenkrands should also have scored.

Overall, a fully deserved victory made sweeter by the fact that although they played their second outfit too, we looked the better side until late in the game and most of their players cost much more than ours..

Impressed by McEachran though, looks a great talent and Anelka is still really dangerous...we could really do with him playing off Carroll..!

Hughton made the right choices on the night - lets be honest, most of us would have taken a 4-3 DEFEAT in this match as a positive given the side we put out..

Well done - keep it going on Sunday.

Can see us getting to the final if we dont hit manu or arsenal next round.

Problem is if either of those are at wembley, they will field a full strengthside.....splatsville.

arsenal field a full strength? cant remember previous years but id have thought he would stick with the kids no?

Two points about Shola that were highlighted last night - firstly, his heading has improved in the last couple of seasons.

Secondly - and I wish this aspect of his game was acknowledged more often - although his first touch is poor, once he does get the ball under control and can turn and face a defence, he can cause problems. He can take the ball away from defenders with surprisingly good footwork and get us free kicks in good positions, feed in other players or - as last night - get a shot in himself.

Oh and a third point - he never hides.

Two points about Shola that were highlighted last night - firstly, his heading has improved in the last couple of seasons.

Secondly - and I wish this aspect of his game was acknowledged more often - although his first touch is poor, once he does get the ball under control and can turn and face a defence, he can cause problems. He can take the ball away from defenders with surprisingly good footwork and get us free kicks in good positions, feed in other players or - as last night - get a shot in himself.

fair points considering last night. however he still has a tendency to mess up often.

what did you make of McEachran for Chelsea?

fair points considering last night. however he still has a tendency to mess up often.

what did you make of McEachran for Chelsea?

Very skilful and very confident for a 17 year old. I don't think Smith and Vukcic would present the most formidable barrier for a player like that, but he looked certain to have a good career.

In general though, I'm not sure that it's a good idea for a gifted young player to choose Chelsea. It must be the most difficult club of all for a youngster to break into the first team, because they make progress by buying ready made players from elsewhere. I did wonder whether it had an effect on their team last night, because they didn't really seem to put heart and soul into it. When you see the Arsenal youngsters in action, they really tear into the opposition, and it must help that they know that if you do well, you'll get promoted to the first team. That Chelsea team can't have the same confidence.