Gamesmanship - A hypothetical question...

Fugazi
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Victory would be tainted for me - but only a little.

The cup wouldn't be won just on that one incident. We would have gone through several rounds to get there so assuming we hadn't cheated our way through every match, i think the disappointment would only be slight.

It seemed to work for one D.Maradona in 1986 - Argentina went on to win a WC after his 'Hand of God' goal against England...

Cannot condone cheating but International Football seems to be based on it.

It seemed to work for one D.Maradona in 1986 - Argentina went on to win a WC after his 'Hand of God' goal against England...

You would need to supply a lot more examples than that to justify that conclusion.

Victory would be tainted for me - but only a little.

The cup wouldn't be won just on that one incident. We would have gone through several rounds to get there so assuming we hadn't cheated our way through every match, i think the disappointment would only be slight.

True, but so would the other team.

I don't think there would be any euphoria, I would be embarrassed from the moment of the dive.

Unless it looked like a penalty at the time of course.

this.

i'm a bit disheartened by those saying "well its part of the game now"....so were tackles from behind and the old ofside rule in which things changed for the benefit of the game. it may take a superstar to come out in public and say someone is a cheat and keep saying it, personally i'm in favour of booing and catcalling cheats throughout every game. if we are going to accept it we may aswell start teaching the darker aspects of the game to our 6yr olds.

all fifa had to say was that they couldn't alter the result but acknowledge the fact that maradona is a CHEAT. for what its worth i class deleiberate fouls as bad as diving.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

all fifa had to say was that they couldn't alter the result but acknowledge the fact that maradona is a CHEAT. for what its worth i class deleiberate fouls as bad as diving.

Ole Gunner CHEAT!  :angry:

It would certainly affect my feelings of winning.

You want to be proud of your team. You're proud not only when you win, but when you fight hard, when you play with passion, when you play honestly, when you play beautifully. This is part of football as well. It's not only about winning or losing. I was damn proud of us when we lost 4-1 to Man Utd in the semis a few years back, and I was proud of us getting to two finals in a row as well. Diving to win a pen may win you a trophy, but it'd also make me less proud of the team for winning it in that way.

Guest Roger Kint

If were playing the mackems, smogs or scousers part of me would prefer to win by deception.

We drew by deception not so long ago......

However, i wouldn't mind us to win by means of the referee getting it wrong. I.e. Player goes through gets tackled perfectly but we win a pen . But diving is just wrong.

aye, thats the difference between finding a tenner and stealing a tenner.

If were playing the mackems, smogs or scousers part of me would prefer to win by deception.

taylor fouled ? i still think many people see the pull and think thats what it was given for and miss the ankle tap.

However, i wouldn't mind us to win by means of the referee getting it wrong. I.e. Player goes through gets tackled perfectly but we win a pen . But diving is just wrong.

aye, thats the difference between finding a tenner and stealing a tenner.

Good way of putting it.

Guest Roger Kint

taylor fouled ? i still think many people see the pull and think thats what it was given for and miss the ankle tap.

Get away man, just watched in on a popular site. Clear as day he cheated

Obviously everyone would prefer it if diving was removed from the game.

Am I ashamed when/if a Newcastle player dives to win a penalty? Am I fuck.

Would you prefer if diving was removed though?

If so, can't see how you can fail to object to any player doing it.

So, it's the FA Cup final (or league cup final, if you want to be more realistic), and Gutierriez is under pressure in the box and takes a blatant dive to win us a pen & the match.

After the euphoria has died down, and you look back on the match, would the dive bother you? Or is simply winning (by any means necessary) the most important thing? Also, would it change your opinion on other players diving?

Wouldn't care if it meant us winning something. Sad, but true.