Geordie from a footballing perspective?

Flip

I'm wondering, is it wrong of me and other Newcastle supporters who are not born in Newcastle or have any connection to Newcastle apart from the football club to call themselves Geordie from a footballing perspective?

Is it wrong to call a Sunderland supporter a Mackem, well Sad Mackem Bastard when he/she isn't born in the Wearside? This all from a football perspective, I mean a German from Munich wouldn't say he's a Geordie from Newcastle.

Please enlighten me with your thoughts.

Guest firetotheworks

Well look at it this way. Steve Bruce was born and raised in Newcastle, and he's a Mackem. There's your answer.

Well look at it this way. Steve Bruce was born and raised in Newcastle, and he's a Mackem. There's your answer.

Whereas, as we all know very well, despite being born in Ostrava in the old Czechoslovakia, this man was most definitely a Geordie.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39469000/jpg/_39469219_pavelsrnicek300x300.jpg

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Saw him in the boots the day he was released (for the 2nd time). Felt like going up to him and shaking his huge hand and thanking him for years of punching people in the face when coming out for crosses - but I didn't. Thought he was class when I was a kid.  :smitten:

Guest The_Scoreboard

I live closer to Sunderland and Hartlepool than Newcastle but am commonly known as a Geordie Maggot, hope this helps :coolsmiley:

Guest Stephen927

Have to be born in Newcastle. Other Toon fans are adopted Geordies, such as Pavel Srnicek, but it doesn't quite fit into the song.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I live closer to Sunderland and Hartlepool than Newcastle but am commonly known as a Geordie Maggot hope this helps :coolsmiley:

Username change granted!

Have to be born in Newcastle. Other Toon fans are adopted Geordies, such as Pavel Srnicek, but it doesn't quite fit into the song.

Adopted or not, is it wrong for one to call himself a Geordie when it comes to football?

I mean if someone comes up to you and ask you what team you support and you answer (proudly) Newcastle, and he answers back oh so you're a geordie, what should my response than be? No, im ''swedish/italian/german or w/e other nationality''.

Is that the correct way to approach it? So me being a Newcastle supporter and not being born in Newcastle should NEVER call myself a geordie?

Guest Stephen927

Adopted or not, is it wrong for one to call himself a Geordie when it comes to football?

I mean if someone comes up to you and ask you what team you support and you answer (proudly) Newcastle, and he answers back oh so you're a geordie, what should my response than be? No, im ''swedish/italian/german or w/e other nationality''.

Is that the correct way to approach it? So me being a Newcastle supporter and not being born in Newcastle should NEVER call myself a geordie?

I'm not saying it's wrong, I just would never refer to you as a Geordie.

I'm not making out like being a Geordie is like being a part of some elitist group, it's just the way I see it.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I guess these days Geordie is associated with Newcastle United as much as it is with Newcastle the City, so loosely I can see why it might happen. But I wouldn't go around introducing yourself as a Geordie. 'Toon Fan' would be OK, but they might just think you like cartoons.

I'm not saying it's wrong, I just would never refer to you as a Geordie.

I'm not making out like being a Geordie is like being a part of some elitist group, it's just the way I see it.

:thup:

I'm a dirty southerner, and I wouldn't offend the good people by calling myself a Geordie. Whenever people call me it after saying I follow the Toon I'll always correct them with 'nahh, not a Geordie unfortunately, wish I was'.

I'm a dirty southerner, and I wouldn't offend the good people by calling myself a Geordie. Whenever people call me it after saying I follow the Toon I'll always correct them with 'nahh, not a Geordie unfortunately, wish I was'.

You are also a worm  :lol:

My parents moved to London when many years ago and I have a southern accent, all my school friends call me Geordie as my actual name, to the extent that even some school teachers called me Geordie. I consider myself as a bit of both, southern and I guess all my blood is Geordie due to both my parents.

You are also a worm  :lol:

Cheers for that man :lol:

I refer to myself beeing a proud Newcastle supporter, also known commonly for beeing a "Geordie".  Beeing a Geordie for me, is not just about the place where you were born, but also the way you act among other people, especially people from Wearside. If you refer to them as a sad mackem bastard in person, then you should be able to call yourself (atleast) an adopted Geordie.

And im from Sweden, before anyone asks.

Being a Newcastle supporter since 1995, I have bled black&white for this team, cried after certain games and felt proud and overjoyed too when we're winning. Supporting this team means so much to me. Former girlfriends can vouch for that.

Unfortunately i have never had the chance or opportunity(sp?) (due to studies and economical reasons) to come visit you all in Newcastle, but hope to do it next year. I love this team.

Howay the lads!