Carrick - Fergie's correct.... and there's our midfield cornerstone.

sicsfingeredmong

He normally does **** all tbh. If he'd played more, I'm sure the stats would tell a truer picture. I'm not really prepared to have him playing just to prove the people on here who love him wrong though.

Dunno, like. AFAIK, we've only won three times this season and two of those wins are down to goals from Parker.

Sorry, I was referring to Luque from the previous post.

Gotcha.

The Bramble tackling stat doesn't surprise me. His tackling is normally very good, it's just his terrible fuck-ups--marking, positioning, ball-watching, air-kicks--that get people on his back.

He normally does **** all tbh. If he'd played more, I'm sure the stats would tell a truer picture. I'm not really prepared to have him playing just to prove the people on here who love him wrong though.

Dunno, like. AFAIK, we've only won three times this season and two of those wins are down to goals from Parker.

Sorry, I was referring to Luque from the previous post.

Gotcha.

The Bramble tackling stat doesn't surprise me. His tackling is normally very good, it's just his terrible ****-ups--marking, positioning, ball-watching, air-kicks--that get people on his back.

:lol:  Yeah thats a shame.

I think Fergie has made a mistake with Carrick which is compounded by the price. He is a reasonable enough def midfielder and perhaps one of the best players  when he was at Spurs. But not top draw by any means and will cost Man Utd CL progress this year.

Why are people comparing Parker and Carrick? Apart from the fact they arte central midfielders they are completely different. Long since he day that a football team was made up of a "typical" defensive midfielder, who's sole job was to break up the oppositions attacks with countless bone crunching tackles ala Keane, Gattuso or Parker in our case. Neither do they have the typical attacking midfielder accompaning him who gets beyond the strikers and general creates all of the teams attacking play i.e Cahill or Scholes. Don't get me wrong this type of play still exists but because of the changing world of football, teams have learned how to play against this set up.

These days we are seeing a new sort of Midfielder. One who is a mix of both and generally uses a combination of defensive "positional" play and a passing attacking style. The best examples of this are Patrick Viera, Fabregas and Andrea Pirlo, this is the bracket that Carrick would go in. The problem Alex ferguson is having is the type of player to play along side him. I believe he is un sure whether to play an old fashioned attacking midfielder or the old fashioned defensive midfielder. I think his preference would be to play a Parker or an OWEN HARGREAVES along side him as playing these two types has worked for many other teams Arsenal (Gilberto and Fabregas), Liverpool (Sissoko and Alonso), Milan (Gattuso and Pirlo). However, he doesn't have a natural one, hense his links with Hargreaves.

It's my opinion that Carrick would improve vastly alongside a capable defensive midfield tackler such as Hargreaves.     

What Rodhaminho said :thup:

Just because Parker and Carrick play in a similar position doesn't mean they play the same role - Rodhaminho mentions Gattuso and Pirlo, both of whom could be described as deep-lying midfielders but play very different roles. And this is how I would assume Man Utd would play with Carrick and Hargreaves - a deep-lying enforcer, and a deep-lying playmaker.

I'm of the opinion that this is what Roeder is trying to create with Parker and Emre - but it doesn't work properly for us because the players around them aren't effective enough. Duff has been terrible, Milner huffs and puffs but can't cross for toffee, our strikers aren't coming to get the ball off Parker or Emre. Perhaps Dyer playing off Martins' shoulder might prove more effective, with Dyer linking the two deep midfielders, two wingers and Martins up top...

fergie has spent since 1999 (and LOT of money) building a team to accomodate someone like carrick, that's the difference....ronaldo, saha, rooney, giggs, evra, neville etc... all provide the movement carrick needs to thrive as a player

stick him in our team and he'd be a waste of space 'cause none of our players understand how to run off the ball intelligently

Carrick is a deep lying playmaker, Parker is an out an out defensive midfielder with poor distribution.

THREAD CLOSED. :lol:

But Parker isn't playing as a defensive midfielder, he's playing as a box to box midfield this season which is the reason he's chipped in with a few goals.

I'd prefer us to sell Parker in January and sign a decent attacking midfielder.

it's the classic fight between people who go to the match and people who watch MOTD

A more useless and unproductive post has never been made. 

Not read many of Vic's posts before then?

Guest Invicta_Toon

it's the classic fight between people who go to the match and people who watch MOTD

A more useless and unproductive post has never been made. 

tomboy always fails to see the deeper meaning...

Don't agree at all. They're two different types of player so I don't know why we're comparing them in the first place. Also, Man Utd have excellent movement off the ball. We don't.

The majority of Parker's workload still takes place in our own defensive half, and as such his vision - ie. his ability, or inability in his case, to see the open passing lanes when the opposition is caught between attack & *defense *earlier typo - and resulting distribution gives just cause when comparing both players' respective roles within their team set-up. More often than not both players are the springboards in each team's attack, most importantly on the counter, so on this basis it's fair to compare.

Given that Ferguson has effectively moulded his midfield set-up around Carrick, as Souness and Roeder have respectively done with Parker, it's fair to compare both players' contribution & and overall effectiveness to the team. In the form of Djemba Djemba and Fletcher, at varying times, Ferguson tried to unearth Roy Keane's eventual successor - someone who could control the pace & tempo of the game within the engineroom. He's eventually succeeded re:Carrick.

I questioned the decision to purchase Parker in the first place - he was overpriced, and there were other priorities which needed addressing at the time, namely the task of finding an immediate replacement for Bellamy. The decision to mould the midfield around an 'effort but ultimately an average player' has been a bigger mistake.